The IT Crowd Gets Together For One Final Episode

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
The IT Crowd Gets Together For One Final Episode

The 40-minute finale special will see all the series regulars return for a long-awaited wrap-up to the popular series.

The IT Crowd was a British sitcom about a couple of dudes (and later, a woman) working in the basement that is the IT department of a major company. It struck a lot of chords with the geek crowd, utilizing clever references that were actually well written into the script, unlike some other "geek culture" TV shows (*cough*Big Bang Theory*cough*). Anyone who ever worked tech support will attest to the accuracy of Roy's catchphrase: "Have you tried turning it off and on again?"

The show ended in 2010, and didn't really give any closure to a few major events that had transpired during its four-year-run. Rumors had been swirling for several years about a fifth season, to end things on the note that creator Graham Linehan always wanted. He tweeted in 2012 that he had written a script but was waiting on the cast members' schedules to open up. It looks like all four major players: Chris O'Dowd (Roy), Richard Ayoade (Moss), Katherine Parkinson (Jen), and Matt Berry (Douglas) have now found enough free time to get together for one last 40-minute finale special.

The show achieved some pretty high ratings and had won several awards by the end of its forth season, including a BAFTA and several comedy prizes. An American adaptation starring Joel McHale (as Roy) was in the works in 2007 but seems to have completely vanished (*phew*).

Since the show aired, star Chris O'Dowd has become a fairly recognizable face in America, with parts in Bridesmaids and Girls. His schedule was most likely the one Linehan was waiting to free up so he could make the special.

According to a Q&A featuring Linehan in Germany earlier this month, shooting for the finale will begin in just a few weeks. There's no word on when (or if) it will come stateside, but seeings as the rest of the series is available on Netflix, we can probably assume we won't have to wait too long.

Source: Entertainment Weekly [http://insidetv.ew.com/2013/05/07/the-it-crowd-finale-chris-odowd/]

SSJBlastoise

Dec 20, 2012
Thank god! I've been waiting for this for years. I wish there could be another season or two but I'm of the understanding that Linehan's previous shows don't span a large number of seasons so it makes sense. The IT Crowd is one of my all time favourite shows and hopefully this finale will help send it off in a way it deserves.

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
I am really sad to see it end but at the same time I am happy to see it get closure. Personally I would have hoped instead of a 40 minute special that it would have gotten a movie instead but I will take what I can get.

Shuu

Apr 23, 2013
Oh fuck the hell yes.
I've always been kinda torn the way British series never go for very long. Some of them end when they so much more juice left, but on the other hand... It does stop it from going stale. I think it's ultimately a good thing.

luvd1

Jan 25, 2010
jackdeesface said:
SSJBlastoise said:
Thank god! I've been waiting for this for years. I wish there could be another season or two but I'm of the understanding that Linehan's previous shows don't span a large number of seasons so it makes sense. The IT Crowd is one of my all time favourite shows and hopefully this finale will help send it off in a way it deserves.
Apart from Father Ted I cant think of any Linehan shows which lasted a couple of seasons. Black Books don't count because Linehan had no input post series 1 (to the shows detriment in my humble opinion).

Stoked for a 40 minuite special, end on a high rather than dragging a show past its prime. SOME countries could learn from this...
Well there was a little known (well, little remembered) sketch series on the beeb called Big Train which he worked on with the likes of Chris Morris, that was only 1 or 2 series. Great show with the cream of British comedy talent.... Excuse me, I have to watch Kevin Eldon as the zombie Mao Zedong singing roxy music.

Fasckira

Dice Tart
Oct 22, 2009
Steven Bogos said:
about a couple of dudes (and later, a woman) working in the basement
Jen joins in the very first episode... not quite "later" :p

Fantastic show, it'll be great to see one more episode though I'm not quite sure what needs to be tied up plot wise? The show was never really that kind of series, with typically only a few links between episodes. End of the last episode showed the wife accepting the settlement and them celebrating, seem pretty conclusive.

Andy of Comix Inc

Apr 2, 2010
I remember when they did this with The Office. That was great. I don't quite like IT Crowd enough to get properly excited, but I'll definitely watch it.

Blunderboy

Apr 26, 2011
Excellent. This is great news. As much as I love the show I'm glad they didn't drag it out too long.

On that note...

Skeggers

Mar 1, 2012
This has to be one of the best moments ever broadcast on British TV.
Been looking forward to this for the last couple of years, Linehan has always alluded to it.

itsthesheppy

Mar 28, 2012
One of the few truly geek-centric shows that doesn't insult its audience. Big Bang Theory is a travesty, but the IT Crowd was wonderful and it's great to see that it will be getting a proper send-off.

Quaxar

Sep 21, 2009
That's the best news since the return of Futurama!
And even if it's just one 40 minute special, more IT Crowd is always a plus.

flarty

Apr 26, 2012
luvd1 said:
jackdeesface said:
SSJBlastoise said:
Apart from Father Ted I cant think of any Linehan shows which lasted a couple of seasons. Black Books don't count because Linehan had no input post series 1 (to the shows detriment in my humble opinion).

Stoked for a 40 minuite special, end on a high rather than dragging a show past its prime. SOME countries could learn from this...
Well there was a little known (well, little remembered) sketch series on the beeb called Big Train which he worked on with the likes of Chris Morris, that was only 1 or 2 series. Great show with the cream of British comedy talent.... Excuse me, I have to watch Kevin Eldon as the zombie Mao Zedong singing roxy music.

Wasn't Simon Pegg something to do with Big train?

Oly J

Nov 9, 2009
oh FUCK THE HELL YES! I love The IT Crowd, I'm going right onto Netflix and watching every episode in celebration

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
I can't help but say "off and on again" with an Irish accent now.

I just hope this final episode has something as funny as the internet in a box bit.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTBsm0LzSP0

Daveman

has tits and is on fire
Jan 8, 2009
So they're initiating an unexpected reboot? Moss would be proud. Better watch out for invalid memory... or is it RAM? Oh wait...

... Anyway really excited to finally get a round off to one of my favourite series.

Enjoyed the quip about the Big Band Theory too...

SonicWaffle

Oct 14, 2009
flarty said:
luvd1 said:
jackdeesface said:
SSJBlastoise said:

Wasn't Simon Pegg something to do with Big train?
He was.

Of course, it was all so long ago that the only things I can remember about the show are that Pegg was in it somewhere, and the weird voice saying "Big train!" in the opening credits...

antidonkey

Dec 10, 2009
No many how many times I see it, I always laugh my ass off at the episode where Roy winds up acting like he's disabled. I'm glad there's one more episode is coming but sad that it'll be the end.