No Multiplayer For Next Wolfenstein

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
No Multiplayer For Next Wolfenstein

MachineGames' Jens Matthies doesn't take his responsibilities lightly.

"It's such a huge part of video game legacy," says MachineGames' Jens Matthies, "If there's a video game museum, Wolfenstein is in the first room. It's the start of the wave that shaped the world of gaming." But if you were thinking there was going to be a multiplayer component to this museum exhibit, the answer is nein, or perhaps inte, since MachineGames is a Swedish company. Wolfenstein: The New Order [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/123799-Wolfenstein-The-New-Order-Blasts-Blazkowicz-Back] will be a strictly single player experience.

Way back when, Matthies was an enthusiastic player of Wolfenstein 3D, the FPS that really kicked off the franchise. "I never then of course dreamed that I was going to be working with it," says Matthies. "It's both an honor and a legacy." In this legacy, you'll be going to an alternate 1960s, in which the Nazis won and are now consolidating their hold over the world, the moon, and beyond. This retro science theme allows MachineGames to play with all manner of robot toys, from hulking behemoths to savage looking mechanical hounds. But Matthies doesn't play favourites. "Every time there's a Nazi robot it's my favorite," he says.

This PC, current, and next gen console title hasn't got a firm release date yet, but is slated for Q4 2013.

Source: Gamespot [http://uk.gamespot.com/news/no-multiplayer-in-new-wolfenstein-6408085]

Mr Fixit

Oct 22, 2008
DVS BSTrD said:
What's next? Are they going to put a woman on the cover?
Some werewolf women of the SS perhaps.

Anyway this game keeps sounding better & better.

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
Mr Fixit said:
DVS BSTrD said:
Some werewolf women of the SS perhaps.

Anyway this game keeps sounding better & better.
SS women could make the cover sexy! I don't know, Nazi bikinis?

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Robots? Cool, but where are my Vampires, undead stormtroopers, Meha Hitler and most of all, where are the elite guards in those black jump suits!?

DVS BSTrD said:
Stranger things have happened.

Assassin Xaero

Jul 23, 2008
Was excited for a new Wolfenstein, got worried that it wasn't made by id or Raven, but this makes it a tad better. No tacked-on multiplayer to make them half-ass the single player.

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
Ok, this now officially on my radar as a possible buy.

No multiplayer potentially means no regenerating health, which I find appealing.

Zombie_Moogle

Dec 25, 2008
Ed130 said:
Ok, this now officially on my radar as a possible buy.

No multiplayer potentially means no regenerating health, which I find appealing.
Glad to see I wasn't the only one that took this news as a potential positive

So many games have shoehorned multiplayer; seeing a AAA release that drops it entirely? Good sign

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Not sure it's that big of a deal for Wolfenstein but hey if you make the SP that much better as a result then I'm all for it.

Jodan

Mar 18, 2009
yay now al they have to do is make it as good as RTCW (that atmosphere mmm mmm)
and whats stopping them form relesing an enemy territory after this one is done, based on the new tech, as they did before.
but in truth as good as the mp was in rtcw the rest of the wolfenstein franchise has stood on its single player

Sugarman101

Jan 8, 2011
Here's hoping that it sells well so developers will have an example to point at when publishers insist that every game needs multi-player.

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
Oh hells yeah, someone actually decided to stick to their guns for once and make their game only singleplayer instead of breaking down and tacking on the virus that is multiplayer, because not every single game has to have some form of primitive competitive multiplayer.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
Interest in this project has just spiked. I think I'm going to have to keep an eye on this one. I'm not 100% against multiplayer but a FPS that doesn't have multiplayer is the kind of oddity that I really like. Also, since this is a next-gen game, should I hold my breath for a Wii U version or...wait, this is by Bethesda right? Nevermind.