Ubisoft Terminates Another THQ Assassin's Creed Alumnus

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
Ubisoft Terminates Another THQ Assassin's Creed Alumnus

The departure was Tweeted by his teammate Patrice Desilets.

When Assassin's Creed creator Patrice Desilets was fired by Ubisoft [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/123826-Ubisoft-Fires-Assassins-Creed-Creator], Desilets' parting words were that he'd "fight vigorously for my rights, my team, and my game." Ubisoft would seem to be taking that statement seriously. Jean-Francois Boivin, another former Assassin's Creed alumnus who jumped ship to THQ at the same time Desilets did, only to be brought back to Ubisoft when THQ went under, has also been fired by Ubisoft.

Boivin's departure was working on AAA IP [https://twitter.com/PatriceDez/status/332176443628990465]. When Desilets was terminated, Ubisoft chose to obfuscate the issue, saying that "the good faith discussions between Patrice and Ubisoft aimed at aligning Patrice's and the studio's visions have been inconclusive" and therefore Desilets "left the studio." Presumably Boivin's vision also didn't fit the Ubisoft credo.

What this means for THQ title 1666, which Desilets and possibly also Boivin were working on, is anyone's guess. It seems unlikely, at this point, that it will ever see the light of day; or, if it somehow struggles out of Ubisoft development hell, that it will in any way resemble Desilets' original conception.

Source: Game Informer [http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2013/05/08/another-ubisoft-creative-gets-let-go.aspx]

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
Evil Smurf said:
I wonder if any more of the team will be assassinated.
I can't wait to see what Revelations come forth in the wake of these events. Almost seems like Ubisoft are breaking up a Brotherhood

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
Andy Shandy said:
Evil Smurf said:
I can't wait to see what Revelations come forth in the wake of these events. Almost seems like Ubisoft are breaking up a Brotherhood
Well they are not being UbiSoft on their employees.

The Artificially Prolonged

Random Semi-Frequent Poster
Jul 15, 2008
Is it wrong that I like to think that Ubisoft fire their employees by throwing them off the top of the building into a bale of hay?

Sounds like these guys where not ready to play yes men to the suits and paid for it with their jobs. A shame but at least they can leave with pride that they never bent to compromised their vision for their game.

bafrali

Mar 6, 2012
Evil Smurf said:
Andy Shandy said:
Evil Smurf said:
Who is at fault here? Ubi the judge.

OT: Now this is what I call bad blood. I wonder what the big picture was like?

Nowhere Man

Mar 10, 2013
...Yup. I knew there was more to the Desilets story. And I'm sure more we'll learn more in the coming days.

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
What's the bet Ubi going to shut down THQ Montreal entirely? THis isn't a good sign for the dev company.

Albino Boo

Jun 14, 2010
Senior managers in bankrupt company get fired by new owners in other news water is wet. If they were as brilliant as they think they are THQ would not have gone bust.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Evil Smurf said:
That's so on the nose it just created a miniture big bang in my left nostril.

Robetid

Feb 1, 2013
bafrali said:
Evil Smurf said:
Andy Shandy said:
Evil Smurf said:
Who is at fault here? Ubi the judge.
Well it seems like Ubisoft is taking Desilets' Creed pretty seriously. I wonder how many more of his team they will be getting rid of in the coming weeks.

DrunkOnEstus

In the name of Harman...
May 11, 2012
Ubisoft: "Assimilate what you've been working on into Ass Creed!"
Patrice: "No, that was my last baby and you ruined it, let me have another good debut before you milk the shit out of it!"
Ubisoft: "Fine, work on it somewhere else, Ezio problem now."

I'm pretty sure it could have went just like that.

Random Argument Man

May 21, 2008
It's a shame that they decide to fire people over old bad blood. I would've taken the opportunity to have a new franchise from the guys that brought Assassins Creed in the first place. Could've been interesting since it could have revolved around the Great London fire.

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
I like how they left and came back on their own terms yet Ubisoft treats the situation like a little playground grudge and this is supposed to be a company not an individual with a deep grudge.

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
albino boo said:
Senior managers in bankrupt company get fired by new owners in other news water is wet. If they were as brilliant as they think they are THQ would not have gone bust.
How small of a company do you think THQ was? These guys were not in charge of anything at THQ that would have caused them to go bankrupt; in fact the wheels of that downfall were in motion long before they showed up. They worked for THQ Montreal, one of the many studios under the corporate umbrella of THQ, and had no say in the decisions made by corporate that lead to the entire company's collapse.

Albino Boo

Jun 14, 2010
KeyMaster45 said:
albino boo said:
How small of a company do you think THQ was? These guys were not in charge of anything at THQ that would have caused them to go bankrupt; in fact the wheels of that downfall were in motion long before they showed up. They worked for THQ Montreal, one of the many studios under the corporate umbrella of THQ, and had no say in the decisions made by corporate that lead to the entire company's collapse.
Patrice Desilets was the head of THQ Montreal which was TQH largest studio. I think you can describe that as a senior management position.

VoidWanderer

Sep 17, 2011
... Didn;t they jump over when THQ showed dangers of sinking... Things like them thinking the uDraw was a good idea on something other than a Nintendo console, rats deserting the ship, etc.