Jurassic Survival Sim Lets You Pole Vault Dinosaurs

Cognimancer

Imperial Intelligence
Jun 13, 2012
Jurassic Survival Sim Lets You Pole Vault Dinosaurs

In The Stomping Land, you'll need every trick at your disposal to survive.

There's been no credible evidence that humans and dinosaurs ever lived at the same time, but science can't dispute the fact that it would have been really, really cool if we had. It might be less cool from the perspective of a dino-hunter, though. Being at the bottom of the food chain is rough, but that's just the sort of challenge you'll face in The Stomping Land, a multiplayer survival game set in the age of dinosaurs. A Kickstarter campaign [http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/524168447/the-stomping-land?ref=category] was recently launched to fund the independently-produced game and met its $20,000 goal overnight, so expect your fantasy of cooperative dinosaur hunting to be a reality before too long.

The Stomping Land has one simple objective - survive. Hunger is as large a threat as the wildlife, so you'll need to collect meat from smaller dinosaurs. You're equipped with a trusty bow, but you'll need much more than that if you want to stay alive. Carnivores like the T-rex are more than happy to steal your hard-earned food before you're finished carving it, and your bow won't be able to take them down so easily. To get an edge, you'll have to employ a variety of tools and traps constructed from salvaged resources. These range from ropes tied between trees to poles for vaulting over large dinosaurs to pterodactyl wingsuits. This game's technology levels may not be historically accurate, but man do they sound like fun.

Players can work together to take down larger beasts and stockpile resources. Tribes of players gain special abilities and tools based on how much spare food they have stashed away in their camp, but as more meat is removed from the food chain, rival tribes will be forced to steal food from unattended camps or sabotage other players' bases. If you don't want to starve, you'll have to contend with not just angry dinosaurs, but other humans who challenge the dominance of your tribe.

The game currently has enough funding to be completed by its three-man development team, but the game's director (who has worked on Skyrim and Dungeon Defenders) wants to bring on additional staff if the Kickstarter's stretch goals are met. The Stomping Land is aiming for a March 2014 release on PC, launching on Steam for a budget price. If you like what you see, you can chip in to the Kickstarter campaign [http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/524168447/the-stomping-land?ref=category] until June 6.

Source: Kickstarter [http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/524168447/the-stomping-land?ref=category]

Dragoon

Jan 19, 2010
This seems pretty cool, like a more realistic Monster Hunter, I'll definitely keep an eye on it

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
Anyone remember Lionhead's BC?

Looked neat at the time and so does this, looking forward to it

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
It sounds brilliant, but can they can make a decent game out of it for only $20,000? That they want so little suggests to me that the game will be incredibly basic.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Legion said:
It sounds brilliant, but can they can make a decent game out of it for only $20,000? That they want so little suggests to me that the game will be incredibly basic.
That's all they need, really. If you make a robust engine, it will create all kinds of situations with little input.

For example, a good physics engine can turn "long stick" into a pole vault, a stabbing weapon, a blunt weapon, a bridge plank, a structure support, a javelin, and a bunch of other things with little extra input. This is a feature of survival games (like this one), so it kind of makes sense that they don't need a lot of money (especially if they have day jobs).

However, it looks like they'll be getting WAY more money than expected (which they may have been depending on).

2clueless

Clueless since 2003
Apr 11, 2012
Day Z with dinosaurs. I can dig it. Be interesting to see how large tribes can get, how many people servers will hold, and how expansive the map/ world is.

Blunderboy

Apr 26, 2011
Looks awesome. I would play the shit out of that game.
I won't even point out that the T-Rex didn't live at the same time as the other dinosaurs shown, because, hey there are people. :p

kajinking

Aug 12, 2009
PoolCleaningRobot said:
Is anyone else getting depressed that these great ideas for games actually need kick starter to be funded?
Yep, neat original game and of course it's not coming from any major publisher. Activision's throwing god only knows how much money into YET ANOTHER COD but of course kickstarter is needed to get anything other than a money machine out the door.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
So it abit like Monster Hunter but more about the hunting and statergy then having awesome monster skin armours and weapons?
The concept (what's stopping you from killing multiple prey so that the predator feast on one while you craved the meat off from another or will more predators show up?) seen alright but it does need to be polish up abit.

teh_Canape

May 18, 2010
DVS BSTrD said:
Dragoon said:
This seems pretty cool, like a more realistic Monster Hunter, I'll definitely keep an eye on it
To be fair, I don't think people play Monster Hunter for realism.
I'd say it's closer to a primitive, tribal version of Carnivores, tbh =P

OT: looks pretty cool, here's hoping it turns out good, unlike say, Orion

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
This is going to be something interesting and rare for the gaming scene that's for sure.

Just a shame this isn't coming to consoles since it would be something good for them to play with and make more money on the side.

Vault Citizen

May 8, 2008
With all the cool kickstarter projects that I found out about due to the Escapist I'm beginning to think that the site has something against my wallet, lol.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
PoolCleaningRobot said:
Is anyone else getting depressed that these great ideas for games actually need kick starter to be funded?
one parts yes, two parts "at least they retain creative control"

Mad Sun

Jul 15, 2011
Blunderboy said:
I won't even point out that the T-Rex didn't live at the same time as the other dinosaurs shown, because, hey there are people. :p
I agree. I'd hate to be the one that points out that humans didn't live at the same time as those dinosaurs, either. ;)

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
2clueless said:
Day Z with dinosaurs. I can dig it. Be interesting to see how large tribes can get, how many people servers will hold, and how expansive the map/ world is.
yeah my first though as well, thisis Day Z with dinosaurs. and its multiplayer will make people work together and attack eachother. this si going to be intresting to see.