Real Estate Blog Values Hyrule Castle at $113M

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Real Estate Blog Values Hyrule Castle at $113M

The real estate blog Motovo has revealed that while Link was living in a tree, Zelda was born into the lap of luxury.

Buying real world versions of fictional objects tends not to be the hardest thing to do. For instance, with the internet as your marketplace replicas of gear from The Legend of Zelda are fairly easy to track down. That said, while a simple Google search might be enough to find you affordable versions of the <a href=http://www.amazon.com/Zelda-Twilight-Princess-Master-Replica/dp/B001I87WMC>Master Sword and the <a href=http://www.amazon.com/Full-Hylian-Zelda-Shield-Handle/dp/B001ECV764/ref=pd_sim_sg_1>Hylian Shield, there are some things from the classic franchise that you'd be hard pressed to make your own. Hyrule Castle, for instance, is probably out of the common consumer's reach.

To prove that fact, the real estate blog Motovo recently looked at the Ocarina of Time version of Hyrule Castle and used the "Song of Math" to calculate its real world value. Motovo determined the castle to be about 82,950 square feet in size. Tuscany, Italy was then chosen as the Earth-location most similar to Hyrule. Using the price of an ancient castle in that part of the world ($1372/sq. ft.), Motovo ran the numbers and came up with a whopping price tag of $113,807,400, making it one of the most expensive fantasy castles the blog has looked at.

Being the rulers of the land and all, we figured Zelda's family was on the richer end of the spectrum. Even so, that's a lot of Rupees no matter how you slice it. It also kind of adds some sting to the first time you meet Zelda in Ocarina of Time, and all she gives you is a letter with her autograph. Considering that she's tasked you with charging off into inconceivable danger, it wouldn't seem like a bit of financial support would have been too much to ask for.

Source: Motovo

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
What? A princess born in the lap of luxury? You don't say! I've never heard of such a thing happening before.

OldNewNewOld

Mar 2, 2011
I don't see how anyone could have money problems in Hyrule when they can just go outside and cut some grass.

But anyways, I'm not really surprised that a castle of that size costs so much. It's probably even more if we take into account everything that's in it and all the gold... Why do they use Rupee's instead of gold?

magicmonkeybars

Gullible Dolt
Nov 20, 2007
Wow only 113 million ?
That's less than the current amount of $ owed by the individual US tax payer.

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
Does that price also include the crappy guards and a fairy fountain thing in the grounds? I'm not sure what the market value is on a fairy fountain thing but they're all the rage in Europe.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
magicmonkeybars said:
Wow only 113 million ?
That's less than the current amount of $ owed by the individual US tax payer.
Good call there mate, bloody good one :)

OT: Not too bad all things considering, though I wonder how that compares to real world castles values, anyone got some comparisons?

hittite

Nov 9, 2009
So what's it priced at after a few billion gallons worth of water damage?

Kargathia

Jul 16, 2009
We might want to take comparative value in mind - the article compared it to a thousand-year old castle in Tuscany, which would certainly be prime location for real estate.

Also, if we consider Legend of Zelda to be a medieval setting, then most of Zelda's family wealth would be real estate, with only a small revenue stream. On paper she's going to be rich as fuck, but best forget about those bulging treasure rooms.

hittite

Nov 9, 2009
Devoneaux said:
hittite said:
So what's it priced at after a few billion gallons worth of water damage?
Aha! A Windwaker reference, perhaps?
That's what I was going for. Although it took me until now to think of a good image to go with it.

"You think you have it bad? Do you know where my house is? About 3 miles straight down."

redknightalex

Elusive Paragon
Aug 31, 2012
If it's worth that much, you've got to wonder why they don't put a little more IQ into the security around that place!

Seriously, a little kid can walk up to the princess without being detected and, even if he is, just thrown to the beginning of the maze? Not to mention farmers being stuck all-night without even a guard to notice.

FoolKiller

Feb 8, 2008
It's Movoto, not Motovo. You made that mistake four times by my count.

Also, I feel the need for a kickstarter and based on contribution, we could get time shares :)