Watch Seven Minutes of Saints Row IV Shenanigans

Cognimancer

Imperial Intelligence
Jun 13, 2012
Watch Seven Minutes of Saints Row IV Shenanigans

No one knows how to throw a party like the President.

By the time of Saints Row IV, your customizable protagonist has climbed from street-level thug to President of the United States. If you know anything about the series, you'll know that he/she won't be content with a desk job, so you'll be back on the streets of Steelport taking a hands-on approach to your citizens. Or maybe "fist-on" may be more accurate. Or "telekinetically-launched-monster-truck-on." You know, maybe we should just drop the terminology and let the president do what the president wants.

Saints Row developer Volition has released its gameplay walkthrough from PAX East, featuring about seven minutes of just that. The demo hits most of the major bullet points of Saints Row IV: superpowers, combat with the alien Zin, weapon customization, and a new Activity. Some of the new weapons seen in previous trailers make an appearance, including the Dubstep Gun (which does a surprisingly smooth job of delivering funky fresh beats in-game).

The superpowers are the most drastic change from previous games in the series, and we see quite a few of them in action. Super speed, jumping, and gliding make it easy to get around, to the point where I'm not sure why you'd even bother with vehicles anymore. The city of Steelport has been designed with much more verticality to account for these new abilities. Ice blasts let you freeze enemies before shattering them, and telekinesis turns anything in the environment into a weapon. Your enemies may be aliens with lasers weapons, but hopefully this demo represents a maxed-out character, because the arsenal at your disposal hardly seems fair.

The new Activity, Mech Suit Mayhem, is exactly what it sounds like, inexplicably dropping a giant robot for you to jump in and cause as much damage as possible. With the money you make from challenges like that, you can buy custom appearance modifiers for your weapons (a new feature of the series); the video shows the player disguising his rocket launcher as a guitar case, though knowing Saints Row, that's probably more for laughs than any need to conceal your absurdly destructive weapon collection.

Saints Row IV returns to Steelport on August 20 in North America, August 23 worldwide.

Yuuki

Mar 19, 2013
....a dubstep gun? Well then, that pretty much speaks for itself.

Can't wait to play the PC version!

Although I at least hope that there is some sense of accomplishment and this game isn't just a clutter of random toys/tools so eagerly demonstrated by the developer in a "you can do this! And this! And this!" tone. A sandbox still needs some kind of over-arching goal/plot that somewhat remains interesting and doesn't lose all focus. Yes, even Saints Row :D

codeg

Apr 23, 2011
This game is looking better and better to me, being one of the few people who found the zaniness of Saints Row 3 to be fully entertaining. Looking forward to romping through more outlandish and insane experiences.

l3o2828

Mar 24, 2011
...Same city? Really?
Talk about lazyness.

Is it just me or Saints Row is turning into the Scary Movies series of Videogaming?

martyrdrebel27

Feb 16, 2009
as long as the game lasts longer than the 10 hours or so it took me to complete SR3, i'll be happy.

also, with the superpowers and the "Flashpoints", did anyone else get a serious Crackdown 2 vibe from that? Wing suit, check, super jump, check, throwing cars, check... not complaining really, i'd just hate to play it and it feel too similar.

halfeclipse

Nov 8, 2008
Anyone else find how apathetic the guy doing the voiceover sounded hilarious?

[Ben Stein]It has rockets and mini-guns and jump jets.[/Ben Stein]

Longstreet

Jun 16, 2012
So if i get this right you are the president with superpowers. Have access to a mech suit that has an integrated jet pack. You beat aliens to death while you cause complete mayhem.

I want this more than i did already.

Now the only thing i didn't like was the dupstep gun. But that's more because of the 'music' than it's effect.

Sleepy Sol

Feb 15, 2011
Welp, it might be a totally different direction than long-time fans wanted, but hell. I'm looking forward to this. Getting reminded of Incredible Hulk: Ultimate Destruction from the superpowers. Or Crackdown.

So...cautious optimism, I suppose.

kajinking

Aug 12, 2009
You can tell this was meant to be DLC for the Third but still I have hope for it as long as they maybe knock the price down a little bit and play it off as something like Blood Dragon.

Chester Rabbit

Dec 7, 2011
Wow this is the most ADD game I have ever seen.
Oh! And put a mech in it!
OH! And give him super powers!
OH OH! And Aliens!
OH and MONSTER TRUCKS!
Why? Because FUCK YEAH!
I love games not taking themselves that seriously (Earthworm Jim, Blood Dragon) but this all just sort of turns me off of this game.

BakaSmurf

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2008
This gameplay video makes me sad, not because it looks terribad, no, far from it. This looks absolutely awesome, but so did Saints Row the Third when the first gameplay videos for it were released, and because The Third was nothing but craziness and wackiness it managed to grow stale, and the lack of a plot that gave a reason to feel a drive to continue playing only made it worse.

I'm absolutely certain of Volition's ability to create something that would be a blast to play through, but they seriously need to re-learn pacing, giving the player all the best stuff from the very start robs them of the feeling of accomplishment one would feel for acquiring their first mech suit or the ability to fly, which robs those things of their fun factor in the long term...

I fucking love you Volition, I really do, but there is such a thing as trying to hard. You need to give us the feeling of accomplishment when we achieve super powers or a air strike or a goddamned tank, just giving that shit to us unconditionally... Is not good, come on guys, we know you can do better.

cricket chirps

Apr 15, 2009
So since no one else seems to be saying it yet:

THE ENTIRE SECOND HALF OF THE VIDEO was filled with "super powers" that were clearly and directly copied from [Prototype].

Down to exact animations and utility. So.....I already own [Prototype] (as ill informed of a decision as that may have been), really anyone who has played that game then goes to pick this up is going to feel like the game will get very old very fast. Mostly the same layout of the previous city as well. :/ The article brings up a real point too, judging by how easy and-i cant exagerate this enough- FAAAAAST getting around with those powers is, the whole city is going to feel VERY small and vehicles will be nearly pointless if you just need to get somewhere.

I'm all for wacky fun but this doesn't look like any signifacntly NEW material at all.

Solo-Wing

Wanna have a bad time?
Dec 15, 2010
DVS BSTrD said:
*Sigh* Yeah does look like fun, but I wish I could believe the story was gunna be worth a damn. I have a feeling this going to play like a 6 hour end-game.
Yuuki said:
....a dubstep gun? Well then, that pretty much speaks for itself.
It's autotune that has speaking.
It's just mah BASS CANNON!

OT: You got Prototype in my Saints Row! Not that there is anything wrong with that...

Mr. Q

Apr 30, 2013
Chester Rabbit said:
Wow this is the most ADD game I have ever seen.
Oh! And put a mech in it!
OH! And give him super powers!
OH OH! And Aliens!
OH and MONSTER TRUCKS!
Why? Because FUCK YEAH!
I love games not taking themselves that seriously (Earthworm Jim, Blood Dragon) but this all just sort of turns me off of this game.
Agreed. I like the new stuff but it feels like stuff crammed into it just for the sake of bat shit-insane instant gratification. I like to see more of a challenge to where this stuff has to be earned over time and not just have it all the time.

Also, it kinda feels like they're taking ideas from Yahtzee's Mankind Has Yet to Recognize my Genius dream game. Then again, we have yet to see them bring in Liam Neeson for the role of Captain Dynamite (who has the face of Frank Zappa and has nuclear bombs for legs).

MrHide-Patten

Jun 10, 2009
After reading the article I was a bit worried, but after watching the video, I'm excited. It's not getting more realistic and serious, but if you're going to go off the deep end, might as well as become an awesome amalgamation of Saint's Row, PROTOTYPE and Destroy All Humans.

Just because it's snorting coke doesn't mean you can't have a nice story, but I'm not expecting miracles and it's not really like I played Saints Row for the story.