Manhunt Coming to PlayStation Store Next Week

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Manhunt Coming to PlayStation Store Next Week

The controversial horror/action/stealth game will be joining the PS2 Classics section on May 14th.

In 2003, Rockstar Games made one of the most violent and controversial games ever to land on the PlayStation 2. Manhunt placed players in the shoes of death row inmate James Earl Cash. On the night of his execution Cash awakes in a mysterious urban labyrinth where he's forced by a deranged film director to fight for his life against packs of human hunters out for his blood. Now, In just a few days, gamers will soon have another chance to partake in this tale of kill-or-be-killed. Rockstar has announced that Manhunt will be coming to the PlayStation Store as a PS2 Classic on May 14th, with a price tag of $9.99.

This game's re-release is likely to be less pleasing to some than to others. Manhunt, like <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/79145-U-S-Senators-Press-ESRB-Over-Manhunt-2-And-Videogame-Ratings>its sequel, was the object of a lot of controversy. Many were disturbed by the game's extreme violence and <a href=http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2003-11-24/features/0311240176_1_gaming-scene-optional-headset-manhunt>politicians quickly began citing it during attempts to pass videogame regulation laws. In the UK, the game found itself at the center of a murder investigation as police tried to uncover the reason behind the killing of Stefan Pakeerah by his friend Warren Leblanc. When a copy of Manhunt was supposedly found in Leblanc's bedroom, it was raised as <a href=http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/leicestershire/3934277.stm>a potential influence. It was later discovered the game had actually belonged to the victim, Pakeerah.

Personally, I've always had a soft spot for Manhunt. It has some problems, to be sure. The gameplay, for instance, pretty much jumps off the rails the second guns are introduced. That said, the better portion of its experience is a tense game of cat and mouse as you try to avoid packs of racists, street gangs and mental patients scouring the game's bleak environments to find you. It pulls off its stealth mechanics better than many other sneaking games and is one of the few titles I've played where the atmosphere is believably and consistently threatening. Even today I can pop my copy in and know from the get-go that it will scare me all over again.

Source: <a href=http://www.rockstargames.com/newswire/article/49851/manhunt-coming-to-psn-next-week.html>Rockstar

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
I wonder if it'll be released in Australia, being a re-release it'd be eligible for a reclassification and could fit in our R18+ rating.... *scratches chin*

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
But how are the evasion mechanics?

Stealth and evasion mechanics have to be good for me to try it.

(Why yes, I might be thinking of doing a pacifist run of Manhunt. What of it?)

Trucken

Jan 26, 2009
Hmmm... Even though I absolutely love Manhunt, I'll stick with my PS2 copy for now. Cash is tight at the moment.

But those of you that haven't played it and like stealth games should really give it a try. It's really damn good.

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
lacktheknack said:

There will be no peaceful resolutions for you! You generally are required to kill all your opponents before it will let you proceed to new areas.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
StewShearer said:
lacktheknack said:

There will be no peaceful resolutions for you! You generally are required to kill all your opponents before it will let you proceed to new areas.
Aww poo. Same for Manhunt 2?

Longstreet

Jun 16, 2012
Good for them, its a fun game.

I played both the manhunts a few times, but never actually finished them. I just got bored after the third shootout and restarted it because plastic-bagging people and them beating them to death was so much more satisfying.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
a game i think was terrible to play. yes, stealth was more or less fine but otherwise, it sucked. dint even finish it. had better games to play.

Adam Locking

Aug 10, 2012
lacktheknack said:
StewShearer said:
Aww poo. Same for Manhunt 2?
Pretty much. The second one has a few areas you can stealth through, but they are few and far between. Plus, the second one has more gunfights and emphasis on the action, as well as being buggy in some places.

I'd really recommend the first one though, the deliberately clunky hand-to-hand combat coupled with strong enemies makes stealth a must. Trying to lead a conga-line of enemies around is a sure-fire path to failure, and the satisfaction with successfully picking off a building of enemies one at a time goes pretty much unmatched. Plus, this was the first game to implement head-set use for single player, with instructions being given to you through your ear-piece and sounds you make in the microphone attracting/distracting guards.

Chuppi

Mar 6, 2013
Damned,won´t be able to get it in germany.
Both parts where confiscated over here, which means it´s okay if you allready own it, but it´s ablutely
prohibited to sell it, even to an adult person.

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
lacktheknack said:

The object of the game is to kill everyone, so that's not really an option :D It fits with the story though and the actual stealth is pretty good

Jhooud

Someone's Dad
Nov 29, 2011
Well, that'll give Katie and the fine folks at Fox News something to talk about.

Schmeiser

Nov 21, 2011
I never understood the appeal of this game, everyone was praising it like it was the new Jesus of games but i couldn't play more than 15 minutes and i usually love stealth games :(

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
Schmeiser said:
I never understood the appeal of this game, everyone was praising it like it was the new Jesus of games but i couldn't play more than 15 minutes and i usually love stealth games :(
same here. my friends recommended it so highly that they gave it to me. it was very dull in my view that soldier of fortune 1 and 2 looked like more fun then this game.

ninjaRiv

Aug 25, 2010
Metalrocks said:
Schmeiser said:
same here. my friends recommended it so highly that they gave it to me. it was very dull in my view that soldier of fortune 1 and 2 looked like more fun then this game.
I think the hype mostly came from the controversy. You can only get edited versions here and, I think, most places around the world. So it was a big rush to head to the store before the unedited versions were recalled. Plus I think it's the first gore game, right? I can't think of any other game like this, it's kind of like the game equivalent of Seven or Saw.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
ninjaRiv said:
Metalrocks said:
Schmeiser said:
I think the hype mostly came from the controversy. You can only get edited versions here and, I think, most places around the world. So it was a big rush to head to the store before the unedited versions were recalled. Plus I think it's the first gore game, right? I can't think of any other game like this, it's kind of like the game equivalent of Seven or Saw.
looks like it. my friend had the uncut version, so i know i dint miss on anything. the game is banned here anyway. no store sells it. then with part 2 they tried to advertise it, had empty boxes on the shelf plus pre order, but in the end the game wasnt allowed to be soled because of the extreme violence. but for some reason the "saw" game was no problem.

BakedZnake

Sep 27, 2010
I can see Fox headlines now: Sony PSN store has a murder simulator game and no doubt link some maniac to it like they have preordered it or something