Take A Bloody Dip In Capcom's London Zombie Pool

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
Take A Bloody Dip In Capcom's London Zombie Pool

Yes, that object at the bottom is a collectable. Probably.

There are promotions, there are strange promotions, and then there is Capcom's pool of blood, about to open near London's Olympic Stadium to mark the launch of Resident Evil: Revelations [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/121641-Resident-Evil-Revelations-Grows-Up-Heads-to-Consoles-PC]. "The world's first blood swimming pool," according to Capcom's PR man Adam Merrett, is open to the public May 25th and 26th, so if you're over 16 and the thought of swimming in intestines and gore appeals - and really, why wouldn't it - hie thee to Jupiter Wharf over in scenic Hackney Wick.

Under 18s will need to be accompanied by an adult, and you might want to bring your own towel. Not that the nice zombie lifeguard won't have towels on offer, but the ones he's providing might be a little stained. Might want to bring your own goggles, too, though there will be some on loan. Yes, there will be torsos and eyeballs floating in the pool, and there will also be items nestled away on the bottom, some of which are collectables which the finder can keep.

Free tickets to the event are available over here [http://residentevil.eventbrite.com/#], if you're interested, from 20th May; only 100 tickets per day are on offer, so only 200 souls will get to take a dip. Meanwhile the game itself comes out May 24th, for Xbox 360, PS3, Wii U and PC.

Source: MCV [http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/capcom-reveals-first-ever-blood-swimming-pool/0115397]

hickwarrior

a samurai... devil summoner?
Nov 7, 2007
Kind of an odd but interesting way to generate buzz I guess.

I wouldn't do it though. In a million years.

VincentX3

Jun 30, 2009
Well... If anyone women is on her period and wants to go swimming, here's your chance :7

Colt47

Oct 31, 2012
So, is this a pool of 100% blood or just red colored water with stuff floating in it? I'd imagine it would be very hard to find anything at the bottom of the pool if the liquid is as opaque as blood.

Sansha

There's a principle in business
Nov 16, 2008
Oh my good lord this looks like the single most fun thing I'd be physically capable of doing. If I'd had more notice I'd have traveled to London just to do this.

J Tyran

Dec 15, 2011
Sounds weird, I hate to imagine what kind of weirdos would show up as well.

Stormtyrant

Nov 5, 2011
Um... Eugh?! That really sounds like they had a PR guy smoking a joint in a meeting entitled "Hey Guys! What if..."

Colt47

Oct 31, 2012
Zombie_Moogle said:
Really wish I had the means to get to London now. This sounds like buckets of fun :D
I know, this would be a really interesting way to study up for a biology exam. I can totally see someone jumping into the pool and coming out shouting, "I found a spleen!"

martyrdrebel27

Feb 16, 2009
due to every single regulation ever, i HIGHLY HIGHLY doubt that it will be ACTUAL blood in the pool. standard chlorine treatments wouldn't purify the blood, and... i don't even have to explain it, but rest assured, i will eat my own eyeballs if this turns out to be ACTUAL blood.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
martyrdrebel27 said:
due to every single regulation ever, i HIGHLY HIGHLY doubt that it will be ACTUAL blood in the pool. standard chlorine treatments wouldn't purify the blood, and... i don't even have to explain it, but rest assured, i will eat my own eyeballs if this turns out to be ACTUAL blood.
Yeah, there is no way in hell this is real blood of any kind.

I also find it amusing that Capcom is having so much trouble making money, even when their games sell 3.5 million copies in the first week; yet they continue to dump money into really silly publicity stunt campaigns.

Not Lord Atkin

I'm dead inside.
Oct 25, 2008
Unless it's the blood of young virgin girls, bathing in which would make me young and beautiful, I don't see a point in going...

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
I think this is actually more gross than the swimming pool in rabblelations

hopefully there aren't thousands of parasites swimming in this one

teh_Canape

May 18, 2010
AC10 said:
martyrdrebel27 said:
Yeah, there is no way in hell this is real blood of any kind.
my guess is that it's just regular pool water with some sorta thickener and red colorant
where the jesus would they get so much real blood anyways =P

Hero in a half shell

It's not easy being green
Dec 30, 2009
Surely if it's opaque and has stuff in it that's a total safety hazard, I mean if someone gets into difficulty underwater there's no one going to see them

Xenite

Apr 13, 2013
So is this the same Capcom that was complaining about lack of game sales and money....

Apparently the titles sell well enough to do pointless crap like this, Worst marketing staff ever.

Ohh and just a FYI it's just colored water.

Gilhelmi

The One Who Protects
Oct 22, 2009
Colt47 said:
So, is this a pool of 100% blood or just red colored water with stuff floating in it? I'd imagine it would be very hard to find anything at the bottom of the pool if the liquid is as opaque as blood.
It is not the opaqueness you need to concern yourself with but the Thickness. Think about it, blood is thinker then water.

OT: Ya, this is a bad Idea. Non-gamers are going to see this and freak out. I am already not able to buy EA games (because of their bad DRM and general disdain for decency in marketing), but now I can not buy or play this game because of the bad marketing.