John Carpenter Would Love To Make Dead Space

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
John Carpenter Would Love To Make Dead Space

The director behind Halloween and The Thing believes Dead Space is "ready-made" for a film adaptation.

Not everyone considers <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/10176-Dead-Space-3-Review>the Dead Space games to be survival horror anymore, but they've certainly earned the affections of fans. Among their numbers is none other than John Carpenter, the director behind such influential horror and science fiction movies as Halloween and The Thing. Back in February, Carpenter even took to Twitter and described Dead Space 3 as "the first great game of 2013". Carpenter recently elaborated on these thoughts in an interview with GameInformer, saying that if given the chance he'd enjoy adapting Dead Space into a full-length feature film.

"I would love to make Dead Space. I'll tell you that right now. That one is ready-made," Carpenter says. "I maintain that Dead Space would just make a great movie because you have these people coming onto an abandoned, shut-down space ship and they have to start it up and something's on board. It's just great stuff."

[tweet t=https://twitter.com/TheHorrorMaster/status/300338225464082432]

A Dead Space Carpenter movie would be an intriguing project, helped greatly by his status as an avid gamer. "My son got me involved in games when he was growing up," he explains. "He and I spent time together playing. He got me hooked on it." Carpenter names Assassin's Creed 3, Dishonored, and God of War as personal favorites, and even shares gamer frustrations <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/10187-Aliens-Colonial-Marines-Review-Game-Over-Man>on how Aliens: Colonial Marines turned out. "It's just another marketing issue. They're trying to get you to buy the game, which I stupidly did."

There doesn't appear to be plans to produce a Dead Space movie, at least not yet. Still, the very idea of putting The Thing's director in charge of a potential film is giving me all kinds of goosebumps, considering his experience in horror and sci-fi. If a Dead Space movie wasn't an option, Carpenter's knowledge of games could still make him ideal for other movie adaptations, even just as a producer. With Carpenter behind the scenes, maybe we'd finally get that now-mythic "good" videogame movie that always seems just out of reach.

Source: GameInformer, via <a href=http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-05-09-john-carpenter-wants-to-make-a-dead-space-movie>Eurogamer

Bindal

May 14, 2012
"DEAD SPACE 3 is the first great game of 2013. Awesome!" - if DS3 is a 'great game of 2013', then 2013 is probably going to be a REALLY HORRIBLE YEAR...

Sigmund Av Volsung

Hella noided
Dec 11, 2009
You know what...

This can actually work out really well.

Also, if he were to make a movie based on DS, he could actually transfer the game's mechanics better than some other directors would, as I feel that those guys have never even played a game.

Captcha: The bee's knees

It very well could be Captcha.

flarty

Apr 26, 2012
I love some of Johns (i call him John) earlier stuff from the 80s, but when was the last time he produced something of any substance?

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Well he wouldn't exactly be my top pick, ya The Thing was cool but that is also old as dirt.

And we already have two animated movies of Dead Space that are decent, compared to most adaptions we could even call them good.

1337mokro

Dec 24, 2008
John Carpenter.... not so much, he has done good stuff but lately he hasn't really been on top of his game. This is something David Cronenberg was MADE for. It is an easy choice really.

One of the granddaddy's of body horror in a movie where the entire premise is an infectious alien life form morphing your body and taking it over combined with a grim allegory of blind faith warping and distorting people into monsters? That's basically a summary of most of his work, where bodily gore stands in as an allegory for something else.

flarty

Apr 26, 2012
1337mokro said:
John Carpenter.... not so much, he has done good stuff but lately he hasn't really been on top of his game. This is something David Cronenberg was MADE for. It is an easy choice really.

One of the granddaddy's of body horror in a movie where the entire premise is an infectious alien life form morphing your body and taking it over combined with a grim allegory of blind faith warping and distorting people into monsters? That's basically a summary of most of his work, where bodily gore stands in as an allegory for something else.
OOH good choice

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
I didn't know John Carpenter was still hanging around. I didn't find most of his work that good anyway and I didn't like Dead Space, so http://youtu.be/CxK_nA2iVXw

Ukomba

Oct 14, 2010
I have a feeling that would turn out like Jason X. I don't know, Carpenter hasn't done anything I've been interested in for 30 years.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
As 'meh' as I am about the most recent incarnation of Dead Space, I have to admit that a decently-budgeted film by someone like Carpenter with an eye for intense, personal, physical horror- could be pretty damn good.

It would be funny (and possibly a nice "Oh, you think you know where this is going, do you?" twist) if they introduced Isaac Clark and then killed him off.

TiberiusEsuriens

Jun 24, 2010
Bindal said:
"DEAD SPACE 3 is the first great game of 2013. Awesome!" - if DS3 is a 'great game of 2013', then 2013 is probably going to be a REALLY HORRIBLE YEAR...
Objectively most people do qualify it as a great game, but a bad 'Dead Space' game. When reviews came out everyone gave it almost perfect, but just about unanimously marked off a point or two for this very reason.

I for one would love to watch "Dead Space: The Thing-en-ing"

Worr Monger

Jan 21, 2008
flarty said:
I love some of Johns (i call him John) earlier stuff from the 80s, but when was the last time he produced something of any substance?
It's not film-length.... But "Cigarette Burns" from Masters of Horror was pretty awesome... and easily one of the best episodes of that series.. "Pro-Life" was decent if only because Ron Perlman is awesome.

Other than that..... I'd say In Mouth of Madness was his last good flick, though I enjoyed Vampires well enough... but I'm a huge Carpenter fan, so I may be biased.

It really sucks because not only were Carpenter's last movies his worst... he has also directed damn-near nothing in over 10 years as it is... Still, I'd love to see him do this, even after Ghosts of Mars.

flarty

Apr 26, 2012
Worr Monger said:
flarty said:
It's not film-length.... But "Cigarette Burns" from Masters of Horror was pretty awesome... and easily one of the best episodes of that series.. "Pro-Life" was decent if only because Ron Perlman is awesome.

Other than that..... I'd say In Mouth of Madness was his last good flick, though I enjoyed Vampires well enough... but I'm a huge Carpenter fan, so I may be biased.

It really sucks because not only were Carpenter's last movies his worst... he has also directed damn-near nothing in over 10 years as it is... Still, I'd love to see him do this, even after Ghosts of Mars.
I actually really enjoyed in the mouth of madness. Its a shame because his earlier work is brilliantly inventive and puts the likes of Micheal Bay to shame. But that is probably from a reliance on plot instead of special effects.

Anti-American Eagle

HAPPENING IMMINENT
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
Canada
Before: I don't want dead space to be a movie, they'd find a way to screw it up.
After: John Carpenter wants to make a dead space film, I can't wait.

Machine Man 1992

Jul 4, 2011
Well, The Thing is one of the greatest SF horror films of the century, a game about twisted monstrosities stalking a darkened space ship should be right up his alley.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
I think a Dead Space movie would be amazing, if done correctly. I've never found any of the Dead Space games to be scary, not even the first. I got spoiled by Silent Hill 2 and 3 (two freaking me out so much that I have not beat it to this day), so every horror game gets measured against those and thus always falls short. Dead Space had some good jump scares and all three of the games have good panic moments (Oh CRAP! Reload, reload, RELOAD! WAAAAAH!) but I was never really scared. It's hard to get scared when you're carrying a weapon that utterly destroys the things that are supposed to be scaring you.

However, I've always felt that the concept and the atmosphere behind Dead Space would be utterly terrifying. A disease that there is no defense against, that has the ability to infect you and you don't even realize it, and makes you start seeing things and turning you into a psychotic killer, only to end up reusing your body after you die to continue the cycle. That idea scares the living daylights out of me. Throw in the feeling of being utterly alone when you know you should be surround by people, and I start getting Silent Hill vibes. One of my favorite moments from the first Dead Space game was when you finally make it down to the planet. You land in what should be a busy hub of traffic, but there's no one there. And then you start finding the bodies, and you're forced to wonder, "What happened here?" These things, I believe, would be much easier to capture in a movie than in a video game.

Machine Man 1992

Jul 4, 2011
Sniper Team 4 said:
I think a Dead Space movie would be amazing, if done correctly. I've never found any of the Dead Space games to be scary, not even the first. I got spoiled by Silent Hill 2 and 3 (two freaking me out so much that I have not beat it to this day), so every horror game gets measured against those and thus always falls short. Dead Space had some good jump scares and all three of the games have good panic moments (Oh CRAP! Reload, reload, RELOAD! WAAAAAH!) but I was never really scared. It's hard to get scared when you're carrying a weapon that utterly destroys the things that are supposed to be scaring you.

However, I've always felt that the concept and the atmosphere behind Dead Space would be utterly terrifying. A disease that there is no defense against, that has the ability to infect you and you don't even realize it, and makes you start seeing things and turning you into a psychotic killer, only to end up reusing your body after you die to continue the cycle. That idea scares the living daylights out of me. Throw in the feeling of being utterly alone when you know you should be surround by people, and I start getting Silent Hill vibes. One of my favorite moments from the first Dead Space game was when you finally make it down to the planet. You land in what should be a busy hub of traffic, but there's no one there. And then you start finding the bodies, and you're forced to wonder, "What happened here?" These things, I believe, would be much easier to capture in a movie than in a video game.
And they did! Look up Dead Space: Downfall. It's an animated prequels to the first game, and gives a taste of what a movie would be like.