Watch Dogs Story Designer Takes Us to a Moral Gray Area

MikeWehner

The Dude
Aug 21, 2011
Watch Dogs Story Designer Takes Us to a Moral Gray Area

Ubisoft's upcoming title Watch Dogs touches on a rather hot button topic: privacy. In recent years it's become clearer and clearer that our lust for technology is gradually whittling away our own personal bubbles, and the line between what is and is not morally right has become increasingly blurry. Watch Dogs takes that theme and runs with it.

Our own Andrea Rene recently spoke with Watch Dogs Lead Story Designer Kevin Shortt on just how protagonist Aidan Pierce will approach moral choices, as well as how the player will be presented with these decisions within the context of the game world. Check out the full interview above and, you know, make sure you're using an "Incognito" mode... just in case.

kajinking

Aug 12, 2009
I haven't been this excited for a game since the first Prototype and honestly I'm getting a weird Prototype meets L.A. Noire feel from the footage so far. You play as a somewhat powerful guy with interesting powers out for revenge but the game still looks grounded and realistic enough to make you feel like you have actual power and that the world isn't just made of wet tissue paper, also I like the spying and investigating parts I've seen so far.

Aug 1, 2010
Sounds fantastic. I wish more games would delve into morality in this way.

Though I hope they follow through with it and make the results of your decisions equally ambiguous.

Do it like The Pitt DLC from Fallout 3. Tough question, both actions are really pretty bad and you don't see one or the other result in anything absolute.

VoidWanderer

Sep 17, 2011
Yay! A developer who is finally able to come to terms with morality being shades not 'heads-or-tails'.

Anyone else notice the user who got permabanned has a permabanned gif as his avatar, or does that auto-magically change?

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Well they sure have lots of things going on but to me it looks very GTA4, there is plenty of stuff but it ranges from dull to depressing... generally not something I look for in games.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
sounds good. lets hope it will be like this in the final version. made my pre order for the CE. still plenty of time but the figurine looks actually cool.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
You know i want to play this game. it really sounds exciting. i was expecting some lame excuses for morality when clicking on title but it seems that the guy actually tries to make the game truly intresting and alive.