IGDA Members Call for "Edge" Langdell's Removal

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
IGDA Members Call for "Edge" Langdell's Removal

Members of the International Game Developers Association [http://www.igda.org/] are calling for the removal of Edge Games founder Tim Langdell from its Board of Directors over his habit of threatening and suing anyone who uses the word "edge" without licensing it from him.

Tim Langdell founded The Edge [http://www.edgegames.com/] were ensnared in his web.

But when Langdell forced the removal of the hit iPhone game EDGE of Asshattery [http://www.mobigame.net/], he may have finally overplayed his hand. Grass-roots outrage against Langdell's behavior exploded and at least some IGDA members have grown weary of his shenanigans and are asking their fellows to take action against him.

An email sent to IGDA members says Langdell's behavior has "raised questions regarding his suitability" to sit on its Board of Directors, a position to which he was elected in March 2009. "Tim Langdell's company, Edge Games, has trademarked the word 'edge' and they leverage this trademark against any media that contains this word - threatening legal action should their target not enter into a licensing arrangement with the studio," the email reads. "Most recently their actions have resulted in the removal of the indie game hit, Edge, from the iPhone app store. Meanwhile, Edge Games has not been associated with the direct production of an original video game in the last fifteen years."

Of primary concern to the email's authors is Langdell's use of his position on the IGDA Board to bolster his litigious claims, noting that in his lawsuit against the defunct game Edge of Extinction, he described himself as "a legal expert in the field of computer gaming" who "presently serves on the Board of Directors of the International Game Developers Association, which is the largest game association worldwide."

"Many of us believe that this is a gross misrepresentation and feel that Tim Langdell is able to use his position on the board of the IGDA to work directly against the mission of the organization," the message says. "As IGDA members with voting rights, it is our responsibility to elect a board that we can trust to represent us. But no election system is perfect and sometimes corrections need to be made."

The email calls for a special meeting of the IGDA membership to vote on the removal of Langdell from the Board of Directors; ten percent of the association's membership must call for the meeting in order for it to be held. An online petition requesting that the Board call the special meeting is now available [http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?sm=68SOsjTK_2f9qJvOQ_2b2Zw7_2fA_3d_3d], in case you happen to be a member and want to make your opinion heard.

Langdell's removal from the IGDA Board of Directors, if it happens, won't bring an end to his lawsuits but it will shine more light on his contentious relationship with the industry he purports to represent. If nothing else, his presence as a director of an organization meant to support game developers is grossly inappropriate; he may be legally entitled to defend his claims on the "Edge" trademark, but he most certainly shouldn't be using an industry group like the IGDA to do it.

Fat Hippo

Prepare to be Gnomed
Legacy
May 29, 2009
Good, and a smart move from the IGDA if they want to retain any credibility whatsoever. If he doesn't get booted, I doubt people wil ever respect the IGDA (again).

Sevre

Old Hands
Apr 6, 2009
Trademarking words should not be allowed. How would you like it if I trademarked "a". I'd make a fortune at your expense.

APPCRASH

Mar 30, 2009
If you cant beat someone, just make their life a living hell. Glad to see we are still going with school yard tactics.

AboveUp

May 21, 2008
Finally something is done about Langdell. Glad to hear it.
It might not stop him from being an ass, but at least it could help defend smaller companies against him.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
I'm amazed he was able to trademark a word so generic as Edge, maybe as part of a logo or specifically referring to the games industry, but outright? The copyright office of America needs a serious kick in the pants if they let a word as generic as edge be copyrighted.

As for him...
The man is a twat, a clever one, but still a twat.

The IGDA has the right idea to give him the boot, I hope it succeeds.

Pipotchi

Jan 17, 2008
I can understand why small Indie Game makers dont feel that they could fight off a lawsuit from this bottom feeder but Marvel Comics? They should have blatently told him to sling his hook and bring on the lawsuit

Good news on voting to get rid of him though, although it makes you wonder why did he get the gig in the first place seeing as how he hasnt made any games for 15 years, Ive made more games than him for gods sake

HardRockSamurai

May 28, 2008
Serves him right. "Edge" isn't even that cool of a word anyway. If he really wanted to trademark a word, he should have chosen something awesome like "vernacular" or "august."

[small]..."August" is in my top ten...[/small]

Ligisttomten

Sep 20, 2004
Wow... Trademark a word like Edge? Only in America. Maybe I should go trademark "News" and sue every news channel, newspaper and half the internet.

Johnn Johnston

May 4, 2008
I am hereby copyrighting the name "Tim Langdell" or any such related name.

Enjoy having to make some new stationery!

Jul 9, 2008
APPCRASH said:
If you cant beat someone, just make their life a living hell. Glad to see we are still going with school yard tactics.
Not really. It's just that, seeing as he preys on Indie and small devs, his presence on this board is wonderfully inappropriate.

messy

Dec 3, 2008
Never heard of the IGDA, but there my favourite organisation of the present

johnman

Oct 14, 2008
Ligisttomten said:
Wow... Trademark a word like Edge? Only in America. Maybe I should go trademark "News" and sue every news channel, newspaper and half the internet.
Edge is a British company and Langdell is British as well

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
I am looking for investors in "Dungeon Fantasy 2 Software," a new company I'll be starting up.

cleverlymadeup

Mar 7, 2008
i didn't think they were allowed to trademark words but they could only trademark the phrase in a certain font and so forth or if the word was part of a logo or in relation to one thing, ie a game or a tv show

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
hell yes, kick the greedy bastard out. You can't trademark a word so it can't appear in any form unless you pay somebody. Screw him with a drill.

randommaster

Sep 10, 2008
Susan Arendt said:
I am looking for investors in "Dungeon Fantasy 2 Software," a new company I'll be starting up.
Wait...what?

While Tim didn't trademark "edge," he trademarked "The Edge," he has been very aggressive in protecting that name, moreso than was reasonable. While his possition as a board member of the IGDA made it hard to fight him, at least now we have some hope of beeing able to stop people like Mr. Langdell from being asshats about technicallities and making money without actually doing work. I hope he gets voted down and then gets sued by everyone he's been harassing over the years.