New Left 4 Dead DLC Campaign Coming in September

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
New Left 4 Dead DLC Campaign Coming in September

"Crash Course," a new DLC campaign for Left 4 Dead designed with the game's Versus mode in mind, will debut this September, Valve announced today.

Contrary to popular assumptions tossed around the hivemind without care or consideration, Valve, evidently, is still very much committed [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/92349-Valve-Responds-to-L4D2-Boycott] to supporting the first Left 4 Dead game even as they prepare the sequel.

"Crash Course" is the new downloadable campaign for the co-op-tastic zombie survival shooter, Valve revealed today, and it's due for release in September for free on PC and 560 points on Xbox Live. The content, Valve says, provides a link between the end of the "No Mercy" campaign and the beginning of "Death Toll," by "expanding the game universe with new locations, new dialogue from the original cast, and an explosive finale."

And though the campaign supports every Left 4 Dead mode, it's specifically tuned with a particular one in mind. With Crash Course, Valve says their goal is "to deliver a complete Versus mode experience in just 30 minutes, resulting in a streamlined version of the game's existing Versus campaigns." To that end, they've made a few tweaks: there's a recharge timer for Infected teammates, and item spawns have been balanced a bit.

"Since the release of Left 4 Dead last November, the design team has been excited about creating new experiences for this world and allowing players to do the same, by releasing much of our internal toolset, like the Survival Pack and Authoring Tools," Gabe Newell said. "We're working with the fans toward the ongoing entertainment value of the product."

I guess "ongoing" would be the key word there, right?

Gunner_Guardian

Jul 15, 2009
Well, you had me worried there for a second valve. Guess you weren't abandoning L4D after all.

On a side note, I can't believe the Xbox live version costs mircosoft points.... seriously....

Thank goodness I have the PC version.

Aac18

Mar 21, 2009
Well this just proves that the L4D2 boycott'ers have no idea what they talking about. Anyway on topic I really look forward to this campaign, it looks very interesting and should provide a good few hours of game play.

Apr 28, 2008
I'm interested in seeing how 360 owners react to the fact that they have to pay for content PC owners get for free.

Good thing I have both versions.

IxionIndustries

Mar 18, 2009
Mezzamine said:
...And the Left4Dead2 boycotters go slinking back to their homes
The ones who bought it for the PC that is. The 360 boycotters will still be out there, as soon as they notice this:
...it's due for release in September for free on PC and 560 points on Xbox Live...

Grayl

Jun 9, 2009
Cool, though it's a shame that it's meant for versus when I don't really like that mode at all. I guess it'll still be okay for campaign, though.

Haha, I love how it's free for the PC and not for the 360. I guess it's just like how people will pay for Xbox LIVE, heh.

Gotta love Valve!

ghalkhsdkssakgh

Jul 16, 2009
IxionIndustries said:
Mezzamine said:
...And the Left4Dead2 boycotters go slinking back to their homes
The ones who bought it for the PC that is. The 360 boycotters will still be out there, as soon as they notice this:
...it's due for release in September for free on PC and 560 points on Xbox Live...
*Does little 'I'm a PC Gamer' Dance.*

Cap'n Haddock

Jul 28, 2009
YESSSS.
i am pleased by this announcement.
PILLS ARE HERE.

and all this complaint with L4D2 boycotters, Valve obviously made this announcement to placate them, since it announced L4D2 BEFORE the DLC. I don't see Bethesda announcing Fallout 4 before any of its new DLC, or Team Fortress 3 before the Scout update. thats all the L4D guys were protesting, the apparent abandonment of L4D for its sequel, since anyone can tell you about Valve, they devote ALOT of effort into making a new game, so the fact that they were already working on L4D2 would make any Valve fan ASSUME that no DLC for L4D is being made.

Destal

Jul 8, 2009
Firstly, I'm glad I have it on PC.

Secondly, I wonder if this is due to the L4D2 boycott call. Regardless, I look forward to downloading it.

Me55enger

Dec 16, 2008
As a parctising skeptic, and a devout follower of cynacism:

This may simply be a move by valve to counter the mass boycott, making valve look like the innocent party and thus discrediting thier opposition.

Still, looking foward to this DL.

Unlucky you poor poor 360 players....

ProfessorLayton

Elite Member
Nov 6, 2008
Good good good. I can't wait. So everyone who's boycotting Left 4 Dead 2 should realize that they're just plain wrong. Also it's good to have a bit of story here. I like that.

L4hlborg

Jul 11, 2009
I can't wait for the campaign but, I feel that I'm getting ripped off. I pay more for my xbox version and I gotta pay for free dlc? Seriously wtf?