Bungie Infodumps on Destiny's Setting and Classes

IanDavis

Blue Blaze Irregular 1st Class
Aug 18, 2012
Bungie Infodumps on Destiny's Setting and Classes

More details about the plot, setting, and classes for Bungie's latest game spill forth.

Since its initial reveal, Bungie has been rather tight-lipped about Destiny. It's had a lot to say about how it [a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/123031-Bungies-Destiny-Learned-From-Halos-Mistakes]learned from Halo[/a] and how it wants to push into [a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/previews/10196-Bungies-Words-of-Destiny]bold, new territory[/a], but the actual meat has been scarce so far. Yesterday, Bungie silently updated [a href=http://www.destinythegame.com/]Destiny's website[/a] with a host of new information about the setting, enemies, and player classes for mysterious upcoming shooter.

According to the new entries, in the future something really terrible happens to humanity. No one's quite sure what it was, but the very few who remain survived thanks to a mysterious orb known as The Traveler. The remnant live in The City, a refuge protected by The Traveler's energy shield. Outside of that safe area, the Earth has become a feral wasteland claimed by both nature and alien enemies. Some early exploration has happened on the Moon, but it seems too dangerous to learn much right now. Meanwhile, entries for Venus and Mars exist, but remain blank while "awaiting reports from the Vanguard."

We even get an insight into the various player classes as well, giving us some context to go with the [a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/122983-Bungie-Would-Like-to-Show-You-Destinys-Aliens]teaser video[/a]. As a Guardian, players wield portions of the Traveler's power to protect the last Earth city, as well as forge a new path for humanity. Warlocks, the obvious mage class, have mastered the Traveler's arcane energy. The Titans were the ones who built the Wall around the City and are the ones in charge with protecting it, while the Hunters brave the wilderness beyond.

There're far more than rats outside the Wall. Two enemy races have been revealed so far, The Fallen and the Cabal. The Fallen are engaged in a massive human extermination campaign and have a presence on every planet and moon humans have touched, seemingly out of spite. Meanwhile, less is known about the Cabal, except that they seem to center around Mars.

While Bungie talked a pretty big game, especially at [a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/122271-Bungie-Shows-Off-Destiny-on-the-PlayStation-4]the PS4 unveiling[/a], it's good to finally see what they had in mind. When Bungie finishes marinating Destiny in the secret sauce, it will launch for both current and next generation consoles.

Source: [a href=http://www.bungie.net/en-us/Destiny#page=destiny]Destiny[/a]

PuckFuppet

Entroducing.
Jan 10, 2009
IanDavis said:
According to the new entires
:/

OT: I was never much of a fan of Halo's MP, or the gameplay itself actually, and bar a few hiccups along the way I've always thought that Bungie's talents were most obvious in the story and the way they build a universe. Glad to see that they haven't missed a step in a that regard.

The concept looks solid, they seem to know what they're talking about (unlike a few other developers of late) and I'm really looking forward to this. That said I can't be the only one thinking that in the next few months we're going to be buried under a mess of "special editions" and pre-order "unlockables" based on their desire to hit a given financial target for it to be considered a success and that'll ruin the entire franchise before it gets on its feet.

piinyouri

Mar 18, 2012
I admit, I wasn't that interested until I had nothing else to do and read the GI article on it out of boredom.
(Interestingly enough this has happened twice before, with Fallout 3 and Borderlands, both games I didn't assume I'd like glancing at the article)

Anywho Destiny actually sounds pretty cool, but I'm going to wait untill there's a bit more info before I start anticipating it.
Like how is the online integrated into it? The article mentioned a player running into another player and creating so called "dynamic random events", so we know it's online enabled, but can you play it offline at all?

Also how far down the RPG hole are we going here? They've mentioned customizable gear, different selectable classes and a big emphasis on story, but will there be experience bars, skill trees, ect?

Apr 28, 2008
Ah yes, a whole new world. Another shooter. With the standard tank/mage/dps classes. Originality at its finest.

Though to be fair, I actually think the aliens sound pretty interesting. Well, The Fallen, at least. The Cabal just seem like your standard big tough enemy.

Maybe they'll end up revealing something that'll really blow me away. But right now, I'm just not feeling it. I mean, the setting sounds really interesting, but the game itself just looks so... eh. Maybe they'll show something in the future that'll blow my mind. Maybe not. We'll see.

Ah well. Regardless, if anyone wants to experience it as the developers intended, you'll have to pick it up at launch. Because in five years everyone will have moved on to the next one and a few years after that the servers will most likely be shut down either by Bungie since they're too costly or Microsoft who'll want to focus 100% on the next Xbox. Meaning nobody will ever be able to play this new, innovative at all. Hooray for always-online!

Tradjus

Apr 25, 2011
The Traveler caused the apocalypse.
Calling it now, if there is a big floating thingy in a Bungie game, it destroys things.
It'll be the big mid-game twist that they totally expect you too not see coming.
This is because they assume we are all brainless chimpanzees.

tmande2nd

Oct 20, 2010
EH.

Was this not the game and team that sneered at PC players.
I should look that up.

But I am pretty sure they did say some rather pathetic things in regards to it not being on PC

Anti-American Eagle

HAPPENING IMMINENT
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
Canada
I heard consoles. Any chance at showing up on the PC? Because the 720 sounds a little too... Orwellian for my taste (based on the rumors so far).

Back to the topic at hand though, this game looks and sounds fantastic and I'm pretty sure I'll be taking my vacation/sick leave/two weeks notice when it finally comes out to spend as much time as possible with it.

Terminate421

Jul 21, 2010
Anti-American Eagle said:
I heard consoles. Any chance at showing up on the PC? Because the 720 sounds a little too... Orwellian for my taste (based on the rumors so far).
Yeah that rumor has been shot down.

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2013/05/microsoft-next-xbox-will-work-even-when-your-internet-doesnt/

Parakeettheprawn

Apr 6, 2013
Am I the only person on the internet -not- hyped for this game? I seriously am doubtful at best. Maybe it's bitterness over the fact I still don't have Halo 3 (even though four other games in the series since then have released) for PC. Maybe it's cynicism due to the fact that it all is pretty much talk at this point. Maybe it's because this essentially sounds like a sandbox and more story focused version of Warframe.

Mr.Squishy

Apr 14, 2009
"The Traveler", "The City". Wow. Looks like the Crackdown 2 naming things team is still getting work.
And hey, look, we're getting wizards, tanks and some other generic class. Except it's Sci-fi (admittedly, sci-fi so soft you can spread it on a croissant) instead of fantasy. But we still get magic.
Also, it's shitty generic post-apocalypse sci-fi. Sigh.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
It's moments like this when I'm reminded that I'm one of the 3 people on the Escapist that actually likes Bungie. I still am interested in this, but apparently I'm alone on that.

Absolutionis

Sep 18, 2008
Anti-American Eagle said:

Back to the topic at hand though, this game looks and sounds fantastic and I'm pretty sure I'll be taking my vacation/sick leave/two weeks notice when it finally comes out to spend as much time as possible with it.
I was curious myself if this was coming out on PC, the game looked rather interesting.

Found this article:
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/02/17/destiny-not-coming-to-pc-bungie-deny-reality/

RPS is known for sensationalism, but it seems Bungie claims Halo revolutionized the FPS so much that it makes PC Gaming obsolete. Long story short, they're too lazy for a port.

Dec 14, 2008
erttheking said:
It's moments like this when I'm reminded that I'm one of the 3 people on the Escapist that actually likes Bungie. I still am interested in this, but apparently I'm alone on that.
Yeah, I'm cautiously optimistic about Destiny (until I see some gameplay that is) and I just don't understand some of these complaints. Concerns about it not being on PC or having Halo like gameplay (which we have yet to see is the case) which you do not enjoy? Those are some legitimate issues to have with the game. Just saying "lol GENERIC!!111"? That just seems like such a, well, generic and somewhat pretentious complaint. So what if some piece of fiction has a handful of similarities to some other one? Lots of fiction does. What really matters about a story is how well it can be pulled off in the end, originality means shit all if its done poorly.

I really like the decision to have the game take place in our own solar system. Not enough sci-fi explores the potential of terraformed and human occupied, or previously occupied in this case, Sol (there are probably a lot out there actually but the only one that comes to my mind is Cowboy Bebop).

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
erttheking said:
I like Bungie, if only because they never release broken games or ones that have major flaws that need patching.

Looking at this I feel like this is the kind of game they originally wanted Halo to be before they got bought/taken over by Microsoft. It seems to have an almost Halo: Combat Evolved feel to it that stands apart from the rest of the Halo series. I don't mean the visuals or combat, more of the atmosphere behind it.

I can't say that I am "hyped" for it, but it does look like it will be fairly good. Even though knowing that it will be released on this and the next gen means that the next gen versions will almost certainly not be any better. I am wondering how much character customisation there will be, as I'd be very happy if you got to have proper RPG character customisation.

Xathos

Jun 7, 2010
While this game intrigues me quite a bit, I'm still a little wary. Until I see some gameplay, I'll reserve judgement, but I do like what I see. The Fallen enemies look pretty cool at least.

VoidWanderer

Sep 17, 2011
Mr.Squishy said:
"The Traveler", "The City". Wow. Looks like the Crackdown 2 naming things team is still getting work.
And hey, look, we're getting wizards, tanks and some other generic class. Except it's Sci-fi (admittedly, sci-fi so soft you can spread it on a croissant) instead of fantasy. But we still get magic.
Also, it's shitty generic post-apocalypse sci-fi. Sigh.
Hi Yahtzee!

But in all seriousness, I am mildly intrigued by its persistent game idea, but I too am getting bogged down by the MMOs.

I just want Single-player experiences again. Not "Here's our multiplayer game, oh and we have this... thing. Our marketing department have asked us to not call it the thingie, or the tutorial which we all know it is, but 'singleplayer'... Whatever that means. Have fun at our micro-transaction store!"

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
According to the new entries, in the future something really terrible happens to humanity. No one's quite sure what it was, but the very few who remain survived thanks to a mysterious orb known as The Traveler. The remnant live in The City, a refuge protected by The Traveler's energy shield. Outside of that safe area, the Earth has become a feral wasteland claimed by both nature and alien enemies.
Wow.

Except for a few design differences here and there, Destiny is sounding a lot like Syfy's MMO / TV show "Defiance". Right down to a city protected by an alien-technology-powered energy shield.

I was, in the very least, intrigued by this game. I was anxious to see what Bungie would do once it was free from the confines of Microsoft and Halo.

Not impressed with what I'm seeing and hearing so far. (save for the concept art. God damn, Bungie has some amazing concept artists.)

Also: The Traveler? The City? The Fallen?

Jesus Bungie, where the hell did your creativity go? I know you riffed much of what went into Halo from Aliens and Starship Troopers, but you at least interjected a healthy dose of imaginative variations. Especially with literary references and in your naming constructs. A lot of what I'm seeing in Destiny just seems....uninspired.

I hope the final product proves me wrong. I really do. I've been a long time fan of Bungies games.

PuckFuppet

Entroducing.
Jan 10, 2009
Creative/Original Names =/= Inherently Good

If the group/object/concept that you're trying to portray needs a pointlessly unique and flamboyantly out of place name to have any character and definition when compared to other groups/objects/concepts within the setting then you're doing it wrong.