Pokemon X & Y Introduce Pokemon Mounts

Cognimancer

Imperial Intelligence
Jun 13, 2012
Pokemon X & Y Introduce Pokemon Mounts

The Kalos region is big, so you'll need a way to get around in style.

Being a Pokemon trainer involves a lot of legwork. Walking all over the continent is hardly practical, so most of them invest in bicycles, but somehow nobody ever put two and two together: why not just ride one of the powerful beasts you've spent this whole time collecting? Pokemon X and Pokemon Y will finally let you do just that, as demonstrated in a new gameplay trailer. Taking a tour through the game's main city, the trailer shows a guy sitting in a car, and also a trainer on the back of a horned combat monster. One of these people has chosen their transportation poorly.

A fresh batch of information on the upcoming pair of games reveals that they'll be set in the star-shaped Kalos region. Lumiose City, the urban metropolis seen in the trailer, is nestled in the center of the region and will serve as a hub of sorts. Kalos will be divided into three areas, each with a unique selection of Pokemon to capture. It seems the region will be so large that the games' Pokedex can't contain all of it, so be prepared to shuffle through a Central Kalos Pokedex, Coastal Kalos Pokedex, and Mountain Pokedex.

Four new Pokemon make their first appearance in the trailer as well. Gogoat is the large grass-type that can serve as a mount, and certainly appears to be a goat that goes. The panda-like Pancham is a fighting-type with a special move that lets it attack while being swapped out for another Pokemon during battles. Helioptile is an electric-type that sunbathes to generate electricity and can use its charge to power machinery, making it a living solar panel. And the flying-type Fletchling is... well, it's a bird.

One other new feature is that X and Y will include character customization. Instead of two pre-set trainers to choose from, you'll be able to adjust details like hair color and skin tone.

Pokemon X and Y are slated for a worldwide release this October. In the meantime, think about trading in that old bike and stocking up on pokeballs - you don't want to be the only trainer on the block without a mount. Why walk when you can ride?

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
Would it be polite to ride a Gyarados down main street? Seems a tad excessive.

They see me rollin, they hatin!

Big_Boss_Mantis

May 28, 2012
Hey, new ways for animal abuse!

Lemme know when they introduce Pokemon breeding stands and the feature to hang the heads of dead Pokemon on the walls of your house! :)

Disclaimer: by the way, I'm just joking. I am not up to animal abuse, nor I am criticizing the game. I just thinh that this adds fuel to the fire of the whole "putting animals to fight for amusement" premise...

MiskWisk

Mar 17, 2012
Are we still going to be able to ride Pidgey?
Or what about riding a Groudon down the streets, that would be brilliantly excessive.

1337mokro

Dec 24, 2008
If there is NOT a single falcor like pokemon that we can ride through the air, this will all be for naught.

Chessrook44

Legacy
Feb 11, 2009
Country
United States
Insert joke about "Mounting Pokemon" here.

Also technically you've been riding pokemon since you went to Cinnabar Island on a Lapras. It just wasn't animated that way.

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
I can not wait to see PETA's reaction to this!

I hope that you can ride on any decently sized Pokemon. Arcanine mount, here I come!

Mirrorknight

Jul 23, 2009
PunkRex said:
Would it be polite to ride a Gyarados down main street? Seems a tad excessive.

They see me rollin, they hatin!
That would never be excessive. Riding a Wailord down the street might be.

Longstreet

Jun 16, 2012
Still don't really like the style they have gone to since Black/White. Damn sure prefere the look (and by effect, feel) of the 2d-top-down-ish games. This 3d is just a tad too much.

On the other hand. the fact that i am finally able to ride a rapidash through the streets is cool.

Why did no one think of that sooner?

VoidWanderer

Sep 17, 2011
Longstreet said:
Still don't really like the style they have gone to since Black/White. Damn sure prefere the look (and by effect, feel) of the 2d-top-down-ish games. This 3d is just a tad too much.

On the other hand. the fact that i am finally able to ride a rapidash through the streets is cool.

Why did no one think of that sooner?
Nintendo are not known for rapid succession of ideas... They stick with one and ride it into the ground, I mean this is the how manyeth generation of Pokémon, and they are now including a 3rd dimension???

Falterfire

Jul 9, 2012
VoidWanderer said:
Nintendo are not known for rapid succession of ideas... They stick with one and ride it into the ground, I mean this is the how manyeth generation of Pokémon, and they are now including a 3rd dimension???
They just understand gamers better. Look how long it took us to get an AoE 2 HD rerelease? Compare how terribly all other Age of... followup games have done because the fans 'never asked for this.' All gamers want is more of what they had before with as minor of changes as possible.

rasputin0009

Feb 12, 2013
Nintendo: Pokemon needs something new! Make it happen!
Gamefreak: Ok. How bout if we let people rub their genitals on the Pokemon?
Nintendo: Brilliant! We'll market it as "fan service"!

VoidWanderer

Sep 17, 2011
Falterfire said:
VoidWanderer said:
They just understand gamers better. Look how long it took us to get an AoE 2 HD rerelease? Compare how terribly all other Age of... followup games have done because the fans 'never asked for this.' All gamers want is more of what they had before with as minor of changes as possible.
I wouldn't say they understand gamers better...

Who asked for a Pokémon typing game on the 3DS? I have been praying for a sequel to Pokémon Snap 2 since I fell in love with the first one, and I have been wanting to catch one of the original starting pokemon since 4th gen!

Also how many Mario games are 2D? Nintendo are a company worthy of respect, much like any other elder, but some of their ideas recently are... worrying... At least that is how I perceive things anyway.

Sheen Lantern

May 13, 2013
Longstreet said:
People have been begging for a 3D Pokemon game for as long as there have been Pokemon games.

rasputin0009

Feb 12, 2013
Falterfire said:
The only follow ups were Age of Mythology and AoE3. And Mythology was awesome. AoE3 sucked because its economy was broken (because they tried adding too much without testing it enough). But ya, the Age of... games aren't the greatest example of fan disservice.

And now I'm going to eat my hat because I just remembered AoE Online. That is the worst game imaginable. "How can we get players to micro-pay every 5 seconds as they play the game?" is the game motto. Holy crap, what a piece of shit. My bad, you're definitely right on this one.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
The more trailer I watched (especially the new graphic) the more I want it! I really should buy a 3DS already!

TheEvilCheese

Cheesey.
Dec 16, 2008
VoidWanderer said:
I have been wanting to catch one of the original starting pokemon since 4th gen!
You get the choice between Squirtle, Charmander and Bulbasaur when you complete Heartgold/Soulsilver (by complete I mean every gym/league/champion defeated).

I hope we'll be able to use any reasonable 'mons as mounts. There's no conceivable reason to not do that, pokémon prints enough money to develop a couple of hundred slightly edited 3d models.

All said and done, I really hope they get the idea and make every pokémon obtainable across the games. NO EVENTS. Events are OK for special movesets and DW abilities, but not for filling the 'dex.

It'll never happen but still.

Charli

Nov 23, 2008
Why is Pokemon Not an MMO yet.

(Yes I will ask this in every single pokemon thread ever ever and yes I know 'milk more money blah blah)

But this is designing itself!

rasputin0009

Feb 12, 2013
Sheen Lantern said:
Longstreet said:
People have been begging for a 3D Pokemon game for as long as there have been Pokemon games.
Yup. Ever since Stadium. Colliseum tried something, but it was too weird and different.