Mad Genius Break-Apart Controller Hones Your Archery in Skyrim

Cognimancer

Imperial Intelligence
Jun 13, 2012
Mad Genius Break-Apart Controller Hones Your Archery in Skyrim

High-precision motion tracking looks to improve the immersive delivery of arrows to knees.

One of the biggest issues with the current motion controls craze is that it's impossible to get the best of both worlds. So far, nothing on the market has achieved the novelty of extensive motion controls without sacrificing the versatility of the classic console controller and its array of buttons, sticks, and triggers. Newly founded controller company Mad Genius aims to resolve this problem in an amusingly simple way - just take an Xbox controller, split it down the middle, and add motion tracking to each half. The resulting Frankenstein controller turns out to be more than the sum of its parts.

The break-apart controller contains all the hardware and software necessary to function, so theoretically it can be used to add custom motion controls to any game, even reaching several console generations back. Unlike the Wii, Move, or Kinect, the system doesn't utilize cameras or accelerometers to track movements from afar. The built-in tracking components allow it to achieve more precise motion controls than its competitors; its creator claims that the tracking is accurate to within one percent of an inch.

A video demonstrates the controller in action, running an unmodified copy of Skyrim on an unmodified Xbox 360. The controller maps various gestures to in-game actions: there's the typical set of controls like punching with either hand to swing the respective weapon, but also high-precision actions like aiming a bow by assuming an archer's pose. The controller recognizes the gesture, automatically swaps to your character's bow, and starts aiming. The controller's creator notes that, due to the accuracy of the spatial tracking, players may need to hold their breath in real life to steady their aim before making a difficult shot.

The current model of the Mad Genius controller is an early proof of concept, relying on a wire stretching between the two halves. The company plans to launch a Kickstarter to help bring the product to completion, making the controller halves wireless and designing a sleeker model.

Motion controls are largely reviled at this point, but if developers want to get the "hardcore" audience onboard, this is the way to do it. The player in the demo didn't seem to have any trouble hitting distant targets with the motion control bow, and the custom gesture-mapping means we could see some creative applications of spatial tracking once this hits the market. Add the Oculus Rift on top of it, and we're getting pretty close to workable VR. The future isn't here yet, but when it comes, you'll be able to Kickstart it.

Source & Image: Engadget [http://www.engadget.com/2013/05/12/mad-genius-controllers-motion-capture-system/]

Deacon Cole

Jan 10, 2009
Country
USA
Motion tracking the player like that is a phenomenally bad idea. People move and react to in game stuff all the time. To have that translate into on-screen movement will likely send you into a lava pit or a tiger's mouth.

Motion controls will never be practical until we can get away from that tiny window that is a big screen TV. You need full 360 field of view for this to even begin to be worthwhile.

Rainforce

Apr 20, 2009
I wish the wii controller would be more like this one:
standard controller design, but (optional) splittable in two.
otherwise a great concept, but sadly not much application, considering you only have one TV in front of you, and there's only so far you can walk before losing sight of the screen.

Random berk

Sep 1, 2010
Isn't that what the Oculus Rift is supposed to do? Give you a better field of vision and more ability to move around? This looked like it was working well enough, though there definitely seemed to be some bit of lag. The motions appeared to translate well otherwise. It could do with some refinement and would undoubtedly take some getting used to, but it looks better than the Wiimote or Kinect.

Makabriel

May 13, 2013
Interesting proof of concept. A fair bit of lag, especially when she was in Werewolf form. I think the sheer amount of configuration of the controller will overwhelm casual players. I see it more for a niche market.

Chrono212

Fluttershy has a mean K:DR
May 19, 2009
I was going to take up real archery because of all these games and movies.
But now I'll just get that so I can keep playing those games.

Real life skills? What's that!

Doom972

Dec 25, 2008
Impressive from a technical standpoint, but not very useful for gaming. I don't see how having to do these motions instead of pressing buttons will make the game more immersive or fun. I can't really get sucked into Skyrim if I have to stand the whole time and if my arms will get tired after two hours of gameplay, when I'm used to playing this game (and others like it) in sessions of 3 hours at least. I think it's time to put away motion controls until our technology is advanced enough to actually make it worthwhile.

[email protected]

Jun 18, 2012
Occulus Rift, plus this level of motion control equals "Ooooooo....."

As we get closer and closer to the VR system in Sword Art Online, my little squee grows and grows.

Big_Boss_Mantis

May 28, 2012
Didn't Sony filed a patent for exactly this thing a while back? (like 6 months, I'm too lazy to look for it)

It looked like a detachable dualshock with 2 PS move orbs above each half...

Oh, damn, there it is: http://www.engadget.com/2012/12/01/sony-patent-application-hybrid-dualshock-move-controller/

I think someone is gonna get sued ...

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Cool idea, I wanna see motion tracking + Oculus Rift... then add in the trackpad for footmotion... Fuck this I'm waiting for the holodeck.

rofltehcat

Jul 24, 2009
Sounds awesome but I wonder how that well that actually works... as long as it isn`t some form of enforced BS that developers have to use despite the game not being made for it.

Would also be interesting in combination with a Oculus Rift... until you fall over, bound by all the cables :D

Zombie_Moogle

Dec 25, 2008
If you're not feelin the mo-cap movement control, seems relevant to mention that I got a Razer Hydra a few weeks back & It's actually very accurate. I had to dial the sensitivity down for when I use it as a mouse because the tiniest motion of my hand will get picked up. It's a fun addition to a PC gamer's collection

Longstreet

Jun 16, 2012
Yeaa, im gonna go the "this is a bad idea" camp.

does anyone remember that tank game on the Xbox with kinect that tracked the players movements so you could do stuff.
Do yall also remember how well it looked on the trailer.

And most importantly, how crappy, unresponsive and just plain NOT WORKING it was.

Everyone moves differently and everyone reacts different. To account for all that is nearly impossible.

here we go

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
Creates motion tracking for bow, doesn't know how to use a bow. I love it!

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
So it's yet another flail controller... real exciting bloody news.
While I wouldn't say it's the worst of them it sure isn't reaching for the top, I applaud them on their scripts but really apply them to something more functional.

And you just got to love how they say "no delay at all" while the footage is showing horrendous lag.

someonehairy-ish

Mar 15, 2009
rhizhim said:
thats good and all, but how does she turn around 180° ?
Using the thumbstick?

I think that walking around to have your character move onscreen is a stupid idea, because it requires space, it requires you to stand perfectly still for some thing to avoid walking into pits or whatever... but the actual motion controls for actions look pretty sweet. It would be even sweeter if you actually pulled the controller half back to simulate pulling the bowstring taut, and then clicking a button to release or something. So it actually simulates archery better.

Here's to hoping that we do see VR in our lifetimes. That would be fun.

recurve6

Jan 8, 2011
Yea, this is nothing like actual archery haha. You can't really stand there for minutes on end with a drawn bow, especially with draw weights aimed at hunting big game. Give me a real bow substitute that emulates real draw weights and doesn't break when I dry fire it AND gives me an analog stick for movement, then we'll talk. Seriously, tracking real-time movement to move the character is a terrible idea unless you have an omnidirectional floor or something.