XBLA Finally Sees Major Skullgirls Patch

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
XBLA Finally Sees Major Skullgirls Patch

After months of waiting, Xbox 360 owners can finally play the updated, proper version of the gorgeously animated fighter Skullgirls.

If you've ever wondered how best to irreparably fracture a fighting game community, you need look no further than Skullgirls. Prior to release and immediately following its debut, the game was heavily hyped as the next big thing thanks to its meticulously detailed 2D animation, clever character designs and all-female cast. Then, things sorta went off the rails.

The major issue is that developer Lab Zero Games wanted to release a huge patch for the title, which would change scads of features found in Skullgirls' initial release, but due to the size of the patch Microsoft wouldn't allow the firm to drop the update onto the Xbox Live Marketplace without forking over some serious cash. Lab Zero, being a relatively independent, small group, doesn't have tons of money on hand, and thus the patch sat in limbo for months. To put it more specifically, the 1.01 patch for Skullgirls hit the PlayStation 3 iteration of the game a whopping six months ago, yet Xbox 360 owners are only now receiving the update.

As a result of all of this waiting the game's online community on the Xbox 360 is now largely non-existent. The delay killed a lot of that initial hype I mentioned, as competitive players simply don't want to practice a game that they know will be receiving major changes in the near future. Of course, no one could have predicted that "near future" is somehow a synonym for "half a year," but the damage has been done. It's sad too, as Skullgirls is a very solid fighter with a dedicated, attentive developer working to improve it.

Depressing history lesson: Over. The key point here is that the patch is now available, and those of you who own the XBLA iteration of Skullgirls ought to pick it up. Owing to the patch's immense size that's a bit more complex than usual, but it basically boils down to players needing to download two separate files. First, you'll need to visit the Skullgirls section of the Xbox Live Marketplace and grab the 273.14MB update found there. Then, the next time you fire up Skullgirls, the game will automatically pull down a smaller, 7MB update. Once both have been installed, you're free to enjoy the current incarnation of Skullgirls.

As for what you can expect to see in the patch, that's a rather long list. Instead of dropping a massive text wall on you, I recommend you pay a visit to the official Skullgirls site [http://skullgirls.com/2012/11/skullgirls-1-01-slightly-different-edition-patch-notes/], as there you can find a proper list of changes direct from the developers.

Source: SRK [http://shoryuken.com/2013/05/14/skullgirls-1-01-slightly-different-edition-patch-finally-arrives-on-xbox-360/]

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
Well that's good news for 360 owners. Glad to see their version of the game is finally getting patched.

fwiffo

Sep 12, 2011
There's no ambiguity. Microsoft is not indie friendly. I hope indie devs move on to a platform which better suits their needs.

Best of luck to them, I keep hearing good things about skullgirls.

Gailim

Oct 13, 2009
according the SG community sites like Skullheart, [http://skullgirls.com/forums/forums/index.php?portal/0]much of the community seems to think the soon to be released PC version will be where most of the community goes. Because it will be receiving new content first and nearly 8000 copies were given out during the crowdfunding campaign, so all the the most passionate SG fans already have the PC version

hopefully that will solve the fracturing problem mentioned in the article

Slash2x

Dec 7, 2009
Subatomic said:
Wait, what? 273.14 MB + 7 MB are an 'immense size'? Is this 1999 or something?
* Checks and sees a version of Windows just came out no one wants* For Micro$oft it is!!!!

OT yeah this is why I Indie on the PS3 or PC.......

TilMorrow

Diabolical Party Member
Jul 7, 2010
Subatomic said:
Wait, what? 273.14 MB + 7 MB are an 'immense size'? Is this 1999 or something?
Not really but the Xbox (and MS of course) is strange in that it considers any patch around or below 30 MB as small and that anything over that has to be treated as DLC and hidden away in the mess that the XBL store has become. A horrible, horrible mess...

DVS BSTrD said:
Should be [they] just drop one lump sum after the release of the game and you post all the updates you want. I really can't see the justification for this unless the patch was somehow bigger then the game itself.

But no, they just decided all the fans of Skullgirls could go skullfuck themselves.
I was thinking of saying 'Microsoft are stingy like that' but really you do have to take into account server costs, period of hosting and all that jazz when putting that content online. At least it's a one time payment cause if they had some sort of continuous payment contract the developers wouldn't have just been bled of money, they would be hæmorrhaging it. (Remember their fundraiser to get enough cash to put SG on the PC?) Due to that I'm lost as to who your rather unfunny pun is directed at or referencing in the end. And I also have to point out once again that you failed with this one DVS. Chalking up another one.

SacremPyrobolum said:
Is it wrong that I only know what this is because of Zone-sama?
No. But beware. She is forever watching you now! [sub][sub]Better update that AV buddy :p[sub]That was joke. His parodies don't come with spyware.[sub]Or do they?[/sub][/sub][/sub][/sub]

OT: Well that's some good news for Xbox 360 owners of the game and it's good to see that they ramped down the AI a bit at least cause it was ridiculous when I loaded up the demo and learned that fighting and pulling off moves in Skull Girls isn't necessarily as easy as it usually is ala Tekken, Street Fighter, every other bloody fighter I've played before I was then pounded into the ground by a Filia who pulled off nearly every single combo in the book flawless. And that was just easy difficulty.