Capcom Explains Why Ace Attorney 5 Is Digital Only

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Capcom Explains Why Ace Attorney 5 Is Digital Only

The publisher is adamant that an eShop-only release won't hurt the sales of the courtroom simulator.

If you're a fan of spiky-haired lawyer Phoenix Wright, you may have been excited by the news that the next installment of his courtroom escapades will be localized in English. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/123972-Ace-Attorney-5-Coming-to-North-America] You may have been less excited by the fact that the English localization will only be available as a Nintendo eShop digital download. When users took to Capcom's unity forms to ask why, Capcom pointed the finger at retailers. "Historically it's been tough to attract long term retail support for Ace Attorney titles ... With that in mind we have opted for a digital only release via the Nintendo 3DS eShop," said Capcom USA's Senior Vice-President Christian Svensson.

When users expressed concern that the eShop's horribly un-intuitive interface may make the game's sales suffer, Svensson told us to not underestimate the power of community. "I think you're selling yourself and the AA community short. I also think you underestimate our relationship with NOA and what I hope will be our ability to keep it surfaced for more than just a few weeks."

"I understand that this decision may upset fans who wanted to have a physical version of the title to add to their collection but we believe this direction is the best to take."

Svensson also talked about how retail margins for games in the West are not the same as in Japan. "Not every game is appropriate for both formats given the economics involved. This is similar to Darkstalkers Resurrection or RE4 HD or Okami HD being physical in Japan, but digital in the West." He also says that this move is a sign of the times that the games business is going increasingly digital.

Lastly, Svensson says that upset fans don't yet have the full story concerning Ace Attorney 5's English localization, and to just hold tight for more news. "More details will become clear in a few weeks and hopefully the method to our madness will become more clear," he writes.

The Ace Attorney series was a surprise hit in the West, with the first four installments selling quite well. Unfortunately, sales for the spin-off Ace Attorney Investigations fell short of expectations, leading to Ace Attorney Investigations 2 and the recent Professor Layton/Phoenix Wright crossover game [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/104551-Professor-Layton-Phoenix-Wright-Crossover-for-Japan-Only-Says-Capcom] not getting an English localization.

Sure, the Digital-only thing is a bit of a bummer, but it is better than nothing. As Svensson put it, "If we'd said 'no, it's not coming', it would have triggered the inevitable 'please bring it to eShop, at least' cries. Instead we shortcutted that and brought it straight to eShop."

Source: Capcom Unity Forums [http://www.capcom-unity.com/ask_capcom/go/thread/view/7371/29928019/dear-capcom-please-reconsider-digital-only-for-ace-attorney-5?post_num=13#532242829]

TJC

Aug 28, 2011
So what's exactly stopping them from releasing a pre-order only, highly limited edition with bonus shit like... say the orchestra and jazz CDs and maybe a soundtrack of the new game or maybe an adorable Phoenix figurine or an artbook?

You know, shit that is the wet dream of all Ace Attorney fans?

Or is it actually a way to screw over the 2nd-hand-market because the AA games are (in my experience) some of the most resold and rebought games on the market?

Fuck you Capcom, for every decent thing you do you cock up something else entirely...

Andy of Comix Inc

Apr 2, 2010
I always feel bad for the Unity fellas. They really are just the messengers in situations like this and they're the ones in the line of fire... it must feel rotten for 'em. The Mega Man situation especially, they seemed as torn up about it as the fans, and they had to grin and report it to the community. Sucks.

bafrali

Mar 6, 2012
Andy of Comix Inc said:
I always feel bad for the Unity fellas. They really are just the messengers in situations like this and they're the ones in the line of fire... it must feel rotten for 'em. The Mega Man situation especially, they seemed as torn up about it as the fans, and they had to grin and report it to the community. Sucks.
Yeah they are messengers but this much sugarcoating often irks people . I know the companies perefer the round talk to avoid offending anyone but sometimes I wish they would just say "We don't think it is going to sell enough to really justify the retail so we only offer digital version. It would be more genuine than the sappy "We believe in our customers." and "Digital is the way to go"

Gormech

May 10, 2012
Ya know, I kinda expected this to be something along the lines of region locking the game.
Anyways, bad move Capcom. You're already arguing with your customers.
Also, there's a saying that goes: If you're explaining, you're losing.
I think the problem is that they don't wanna send the hardcopies overseas after that whole "Cutting ties with the West" thing. Saying one of their best games isn't selling well over here will only drive their distorted logic further in that direction.

So basically, not gonna buy it. With so little effort being put out the promote it in a positive light, couldn't honestly say that I could suggest anyone else to buy it either.

Also, being quiet playing on my handheld with my headphones on is kinda pointless and embarrassing when every 10min or so I have to randomly yell out "OBJECTION!!!1!" at my screen to play the game. I suggest they fix that.

RedEyesBlackGamer

The Killjoy Detective returns!
Jan 23, 2011
Just be happy you got the game. When you like a really niche series, be satisfied with any game you get brought over.

Ultress

Volcano Girl
Feb 5, 2009
We're getting it,I'm happy for that. That's all I have to say,sorry if this counts as a low content.

Avalanche91

Jan 8, 2009
Good news: New Ace Attorney, also availeble in the west despite their previous stance on breaking ties with the west altogether.

Worst case scenario: Capcom DLC shenanigans. Pay for alternate/true endings, trials that enrich the plot etc.

Riobux

Apr 15, 2009
And despite this, it'll be full price. Because £40 for a digital-only title is reasonable...Right?

Gearhead mk2

Aug 1, 2011
It'sa good to see a new AA game coming out, but frankly I don't even know where the 3Ds eShop is or how to acsses it, so... yeah. Just release Wright VS Layton over here.

Rack

Jan 18, 2008
Fingers crossed it's less than full price to account for the lack of choice. The normal £40 pricepoint is hilariously optimistic considering all the downsides of digital in general and the eshop specifically. Call it £25? That's about what it would cost in the shops and would give you a similar return.

zidine100

Mar 19, 2009
Gormech said:
I think the problem is that they don't wanna send the hardcopies overseas after that whole "Cutting ties with the West" thing. Saying one of their best games isn't selling well over here will only drive their distorted logic further in that direction.
If that was the case and they were trying to make it seem its unprofitable here, they would have done what i call the ninja release, not announce it was getting a release, release it on one a difficult to use system (okay theve got one down), and then announce a week afterwords that its unprofitable and unpopular and it wont be coming here again due to that.

mew4ever23

Mar 21, 2008
Nice. Now, hopefully we can get this thing enough sale for Capcom to see that we love Ace Attorney, and they'll localize AAI 2 and Layton vs. Ace Attorney.

Belbe

Oct 12, 2009
I agree with this move. Honestly NO ONE has ever looked at an AA title on the shelf and thought to themselves that they'll give it a try. You find out somewhere, and you either love the idea and pick it up or don't think twice. The Layton series should go the same way tbh.

You were either gunna buy it anyway, or you don't even register that it's on that shelf. That's how these titles are.

anonymity88

Sep 20, 2010
Mcoffey said:
As someone with over 100 steam games, I'm struggling to see what the big deal is. The game is getting localized. That's good, right? Is the problem the eShop?
Seems a lot of it is to do with general malice towards Capcom from what I've read. Is there no way of backing up an e-shop purcahse? Because I can understand that being a bit of a deal breaker for me.

OT: Never really dug the AA series but it's cool that they're at least extending some sort of olive branch to the US fans.

popa_qwerty

Dec 21, 2010
Mcoffey said:
As someone with over 100 steam games, I'm struggling to see what the big deal is. The game is getting localized. That's good, right? Is the problem the eShop?
The thing is the way Nintendo handles the eShop is very different than say steam or xbox/ps3 only they can transfer games and you will have to send in both systems to get the games off the old one and on the new system which make take a considerable amount of time and this

When users expressed concern that the eShop's horribly un-intuitive interface may make the game's sales suffer, Svensson told us to not underestimate the power of community.