Shin Megami Tensei Is "The Antithesis of JRPGS"

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
Shin Megami Tensei Is "The Antithesis of JRPGS"

"Punk production" is what sets Shin Megami Tensei apart from its competitors, says director, Kazuyuki Yamai.

With the exception of Chrono Trigger and Earthbound, I've never seen a JRPG series appeal to non-JRPG fans quite as much as the Shin Megami Tensei series and its spinoffs. While JRPGs tend to be about rather predictable fantasy lands, SMT has, at its core, always been about people and the ethical challenges they face, and perhaps it's that authenticity that draws in players not heavily invested in the genre. That and the games do tend to be almost supernaturally addictive.

Kazuyuki Yamai, who directed SMT III: Nocturne, the two Raidou Kuzunoha spin-offs, SMT: Strange Journey and now Shin Megami Tensei IV, credits the series success to its "punk production." Essentially, SMT succeeds because it does what other JRPGs don't.

Talking to Famitsu, Yamai laid out his plans for the upcoming fourth numbered installment in the series.

"I definitely something simple, yet distinct," he said. "I wanted to make something with a 'punk production'. 20 years ago, fantasy-style RPGs were the standard of the genre. Shin Megami Tensei on the Super Famicom was something like an antithesis when you compared it. That's what I call 'punk-minded'. There are many games these days that focus on being enjoyable while relaxing. We'd like to have people enjoy the game and maybe even a shocking feeling towards their views on life and values."

While JRPGs can be exciting, they do tend to be quite morally simplistic, with clearly defined heroes who, almost inevitably, triumph over the equally obvious villains. SMT has never been quite as straight cut. Nocturne, in particular, is one of the most challenging games I've played, and not just from a gameplay perspective (though it is hard as nails too).

The desire to unsettle the player also extends to the SMT IV's art and sound direction.

"I told him [Doi] to draw something with a punk mindset. Kozuka, too," he said, referring to Trauma Center artist, Masayki Doi and Persona 4 composer, Routa Kozuka. "I told them, "When players get to see and hear the game, I'd like to have elements that will bring out a feeling of curiosity, rather than relaxation."

Shin Megami Tensei IV will be released on 3DS this July 16th in North America. A European release is apparently going to happen at some point, but there's no concrete date yet. In your face, France.

Source: Famitsu via Siliconera [http://www.siliconera.com/2013/05/15/shin-megami-tensei-iv-director-says-series-is-the-antithesis-of-jrpgs/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+siliconera%2FMkOc+%28Siliconera%29]

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
SMT IV couldn't be coming out any sooner. It's the only game coming out during the drought that I am looking forward to... WHY ISN'T IT JULY YET!?!

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
Grey Carter said:
Nocturne, in particular, is one of the most challenging games I've played, and not just from a gameplay perspective (though it is hard as nails too).
yeah? what ending did you get the first time? Cause I kinda followed my own moral compass .... and ended up destroying the world ^^;; (getting the 'true demon' ending was a bit of a shock)

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
Lunar Templar said:
Grey Carter said:
Nocturne, in particular, is one of the most challenging games I've played, and not just from a gameplay perspective (though it is hard as nails too).
yeah? what ending did you get the first time? Cause I kinda followed my own moral compass .... and ended up destroying the world ^^;; (getting the 'true demon' ending was a bit of a shock)
I got the "Strongest rules the world" ending.

OT: can't wait for SMT4. Comes out right after my birthday.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
so, the wang chariots were part of this philosophy?

i guess that makes sense sort of

Parakeettheprawn

Apr 6, 2013
I'm curious about the main series afert only clocking in about five to ten hours in Persona 2: Eternal Punishment. I wanted a breath of fresh air and my gosh did these guys deliver.

StormShaun

The Basement has been unleashed!
Feb 1, 2009
I haven't played a SMT game or Persona game. (Even though I know a lot about Persona)

So yeah, this will be awesome!
Well only if they grant Australia a release date, that would be good.

But year I hear that both the SMT series is great.
Once more ... please bring it to Aus. :D

neonsword13-ops

~ Struck by a Smooth Criminal ~
Mar 28, 2011
piinyouri said:
GamerMage said:
piinyouri said:
GamerMage said:
piinyouri said:
Man, maybe should try one of these games.

Best place to start?
I'd reccommend playing the PSP Remakes first. Particually the Innocent Sin Remake.
No go for PSP. I don't own one.
Vita? It's available via PSN.
I don't own any handhelds.
There's always the PS2.

The PS2 has SMT 3: Nocturne, Digital Devil Saga 1 + 2, and Persona 3 + 4.,

Persona 3 was actually my starting game in the franchise. I found it to be a great entry point.
EDIT: Heck, you can even buy Persona 3 on the PS3's PSN for $10. If that's not a steal, I don't know what is.

piinyouri

Mar 18, 2012
neonsword13-ops said:
piinyouri said:
GamerMage said:
piinyouri said:
GamerMage said:
piinyouri said:
Man, maybe should try one of these games.

Best place to start?
I'd reccommend playing the PSP Remakes first. Particually the Innocent Sin Remake.
No go for PSP. I don't own one.
Vita? It's available via PSN.
I don't own any handhelds.
There's always the PS2.

Persona 3 was actually my starting game in the franchise. I found it to be a great entry point.
EDIT: Heck, you can even buy Persona 3 on the PS3's PSN for $10. If that's not a steal, I don't know what is.
Okay, PS2 I can do.
Are all those games apart of one overarching story, or do they just tell different stories at different times in the same universe?

neonsword13-ops

~ Struck by a Smooth Criminal ~
Mar 28, 2011
piinyouri said:
neonsword13-ops said:
There's always the PS2.

Okay, PS2 I can do.
Are all those games apart of one overarching story, or do they just tell different stories at different times in the same universe?
Nocturne is self-contained, the Digital Devil Saga series has an overarching story I believe, and Persona 3 and 4 take place in the same universe but are self-contained stories on their own.

But if you plan on playing the Persona games, be sure to start and finish Persona 3 first. Because once you start playing P4, you won't want to go back to P3.

DerpHerpilous

May 16, 2013
...But if you plan on playing the Persona games, be sure to start and finish Persona 3 first. Because once you start playing P4, you won't want to go back to P3.
I wish someone told me this before I started playing P4 in the middle of my first(and current) P3:FES run. The concept is still pretty thin as a plot device, but I'll be damned if it isn't still much better than P3's reason for going into dungeons and murdering their indigenous population.

DrunkOnEstus

In the name of Harman...
May 11, 2012
Man, I have got to get a 3DS. This is one of "those games" that you say you're waiting for before you pull the trigger. Now I just need some money...