May 6, 2005
First Look at a Preview Card From Magic's New Core Set

[/spoiler]

Falterfire

Jul 9, 2012
Hey guys! I've got an idea!

We can use... WHALES!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bhub4ExmVQg

This card may be terrible, but I'll run it anyways.

Also: This is new wording tech on 'Exile, then return later'

nuba km

Jun 7, 2010
Falterfire said:

We can use... WHALES!

I'll probably run it in my 'monsters of the sea' deck which I have planed on making, also featuring, giant octopuses, leviathans and karkens.

deth2munkies

Jan 28, 2009
It's the Jonah Whale (bet that was its playtest name). You neglected to mention that the flavor is that this whale eats people every time it attacks :p

Anyway, core set is looking great so far, I just really hope the ramp spells are there.

Shinsei-J

Prunus Girl is best girl!
Apr 28, 2011
I can see this synergising well with [mtg_card=Finest Hour] or any other card that gives you a second combat phase.
No doubt it's going be a heavy hitter in Commander and Highlander though, due to its consistent removal.
Ether way I see some interesting combos coming from this guy.

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
I'm disappointed, someone in the creative and/or flavor department should have made this a legendary white creature.

Lucane

Mar 24, 2008
Falterfire said:

We can use... WHALES!

I don't think they are saying the card is bad, just that for serious play most decks don't like using high mana cost cards (outside of green I assume) Also, I think exile is still exile just that's it's a location for cards to be and not necessarily one or two series of events that can happen to cards.

If I remember right it sounds like they are removing some of the chaos that Slivers added but wasn't that half the fun?

Falterfire

Jul 9, 2012
Lucane said:
I don't think they are saying the card is bad, just that for serious play most decks don't like using high mana cost cards (outside of green I assume) Also, I think exile is still exile just that's it's a location for cards to be and not necessarily one or two series of events that can happen to cards.

If I remember right it sounds like they are removing some of the chaos that Slivers added but wasn't that half the fun?
You don't understand why this card's wording is important: With a card like Fiend Hunter the exile/return is two separate abilities. This means you can do something like Cloudshift in order to keep the card permanently exiled. It also means if the controller is killed in a multiplayer game the exiled cards never come back because the effect that would bring them back belongs to a player no longer in the game.

This is a new rules template, which is why I mentioned it. (Also this card is terrible. It's too much mana for not enough body and not enough effect)

Dragon Zero

No one of note
Apr 16, 2009
Love the art, though the I think something that big would do more damage than a group of undead businessmen or a really big pig. Oh well, solid card for limited or casual.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Man... I miss Magic. It's hard to justify the hobby when you already play D&D more than once a week though XD

Got save up some money, you know?

JEBWrench

Apr 23, 2009
tautologico said:
So, will Hexproof come back? :)
Good Lord I hope not.

Ahem... anyways... Doesn't the art make it seem a little bit more than a 5/5? A single Pirate Ship was a 4/3.

2xDouble

Mar 15, 2010
Welcome to Magic, Monstro [https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Terrible_Dogfish].

The slivers bother me for the simple fact that they aren't Slivers in the artwork. They're clearly dudes: non-clawed arms; two legs; humanoid head... Slivers are more serpentine; sleek and efficient, with pointed, angular heads and talon-like forearms. Oh well... at least I can get excited about Archangel of Thune (aka. everyone is [mtg_card=Ajani's Pridemate]!, or [mtg_card=Spike Feeder]'s new best friend). Incidentally... does any one know if [mtg_card=Lightkeeper of Emeria]'s multikicker counts as separate life gain events or just one? Archangel of Thune makes that important...