3DS First-Party Software Sales up 52% in United States

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
3DS First-Party Software Sales up 52% in United States

Nintendo has sold more than 2.1 million physical and digital 3DS games to American consumers in Q1 2013.

Back in its early days the 3DS had some rough moments. Its launched was marked by hype and high expectations that its early months just <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/111045-Nintendo-Admits-3DS-Sales-Are-Below-Expectations>weren't able to live up to. Though its first year would eventually be counted <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/116170-3DS-Sells-4-5-Million-Units-In-US-Eclipsing-DS>as a success by Nintendo, it was also marked by some harsh reality checks. Since then the 3DS's momentum has gradually picked up and, if recent software sales are any indicator, the handheld's dark days may well be behind it.

Nintendo has reported that the 3DS's first party software sales in the United States, for the first quarter of 2013, are up 52% from the same time period last year. While you can likely give some of the credit to the 3DS's expanding user base, a strong batch of recent software releases is largely responsible for the boost. Nintendo sold more than 2.1 million games in the first four months of 2013 with titles like LEGO City Undercover: The Chase Begins and Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon providing boosts to sales. Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon, by itself, has sold more than 530,000 units since its launch.

The 3DS's successes are probably appreciated by Nintendo, which could probably use some good news in the light of continued setbacks with the Wii U. Like the 3DS, the Wii U launched to a <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/121778-Wii-U-Sales-Forecast-Cut>rougher reception than Nintendo had hoped. That said, whereas the 3DS eventually picked up momentum, sales of the Wii U have remained stagnant and <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/123286-Price-Drop-Wont-Help-Ailing-Wii-U-Claims-Analyst> have even declined in recent months. Add in deteriorating relationships with <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/124097-EA-Has-No-Games-in-Development-For-Wii-U>third party developers and the Wii U's position continues to look tenuous even as the 3DS comes into its own.

Source: <a href=http://www.joystiq.com/2013/05/16/nintendo-3ds-software-sales-up-52-year-on-year-in-us/#continued>Joystiq

MorganL4

Person
May 1, 2008
So, when we couple this with the recent statement from EA "We are not making any new games for the Wii U" And similar statements from other Devs the question becomes: Can Nintendo persist on a mobile platform alone?

Mr. Omega

ANTI-LIFE JUSTIFIES MY HATE!
Jul 1, 2010
Seems more and more this is going to be a repeat of the Gamecube generation: domination on the handheld front and sluggish console business. Then again the 3DS started picking up once first party titles came to the system following a price drop. Next holiday season the WiiU will have at least one of those.

Good to see the good numbers. Also curious how many of those Luigi's Mansion games were sold digitally.

SirDeadly

Feb 22, 2009
Let's face it, this is probably all because of Pokemon X and Y. I know I'll be buying a 3DS later in the year.

xPixelatedx

Jan 19, 2011
MorganL4 said:
So, when we couple this with the recent statement from EA "We are not making any new games for the Wii U" And similar statements from other Devs the question becomes: Can Nintendo persist on a mobile platform alone?
Why would they? If anything the article just pointed how out silly EA was for doing that, given that the 3DS had the same exact start as the wiiU, and then everything changed once Nintendo made games for it. A slow start to a console shouldn't make people abandon it, you'd think people would have learned this after the two years of hell that was the PS3's launch. Nintendo consoles do quite fine without all the copy/pasta stuff the other consoles get. Until Nintendo actually has games for sale, it will be impossible to say for certain what will happen this console war. But then again no one seems interested in bringing their A game to this gen, so I may be mistaken.

TJC

Aug 28, 2011
SirDeadly said:
Let's face it, this is probably all because of Pokemon X and Y. I know I'll be buying a 3DS later in the year.
Oh no. When Pokemon X/Y comes out, they'll have to edit that IT PRINTS MONEY gif to feature a 3DS. While I don't doubt that there a few people who bought the 3DS in anticipation to the upcoming pokemon games I really believe that most sales come from the fact that really good first parties title came out NOW. (I mean why wait until buying it now without any game to play it for 4 more months)

Seriously, I think the spike in sales coming October will be awe-inspiring, especially if they bundle that shit.

Zaydin

Mar 2, 2009
No mentions of Fire Emblem: Awakening? I thought I read that Intelligent Systems was owned by Nintendo, and that it sold fairly well. Hell, on Metacritic, Awakening is the third best overall reviewed game for the system, behind Ocarina of Time 3D and Cave Story 3D.

MorganL4

Person
May 1, 2008
xPixelatedx said:
MorganL4 said:
Why would they? If anything the article just pointed how out silly EA was for doing that, given that the 3DS had the same exact start as the wiiU, and then everything changed once Nintendo made games for it. A slow start to a console shouldn't make people abandon it, you'd think people would have learned this after the two years of hell that was the PS3's launch. Nintendo consoles do quite fine without all the copy/pasta stuff the other consoles get. Until Nintendo actually has games for sale, it will be impossible to say for certain what will happen this console war. But then again no one seems interested in bringing their A game to this gen, so I may be mistaken.

There is a big difference between the Wii U and the PS3, The PS3 had a slow start because programers didn't know HOW to program for it due to its hardware design. Once they learned, the PS3 started getting games. On the other hand people know how to program for the Wii U, they just don't want to, A because of such a small install base (most non gamers think that the Wii U is just an add on for the Wii, they don't even think they need a new console) and B because it doesn't have enough memory or processing power to allow for a very in depth game.

CrazyCapnMorgan

Is not insane, just crazy >:)
Jan 5, 2011
I did my part getting Fire Emblem: Awakening, Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate and pre-ordering Pokemon X and Y.

Dear Nintendo,

Your welcome.

Sincerely,

CCM

dakkster

Aug 22, 2011
I've been eyeing a 3DS for a while and I think I'll be getting an XL in time, but I haven't paid attention to the games AT ALL. If you would throw a top five at me, how would that look? I enjoy pretty much all genres.