Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D Review

Stew Shearer

Feb 8, 2012
Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D Review

Donkey Kong returns again to show platformers how it?s done.

Read Full Article

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
I don't think newbie mode is really that bad of an idea. I got my ass handed to me by DKC3 a lot, so I would have appreciated it back then. I'll still muscle my way through eventually...

Wait, you get hearts? Buncha spoiled...

DrunkOnEstus

In the name of Harman...
May 11, 2012
I know it's probably hard to record 3DS video, but I just realized how long it's been since I've seen an Escapist video review. Are we not doing those anymore?

Anyway, I love the original DKC games, and would buy this game instantly if I had a 3DS.

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
When I first heard of this, I was thinking it was something new, but nope, quick and hasty port of a game that barely got off people's minds. How the hell did that happen? Are we seriously in this retarded cycle, now? Make a game for one platform, port it to another, and call it progress, and cut off from work early?

This just makes me wonder what Retro Studios is up to these days...

likalaruku

Nov 29, 2008
Good, & Starfox too. Now maybe Banjo Kazooie, Conkers, Rayman, & Crash Bandicoot will come around latter this or next year.

Sonic Doctor

Time Lord / Whack-A-Newbie!
Jan 9, 2010
likalaruku said:
Good, & Starfox too. Now maybe Banjo Kazooie, Conkers, Rayman, & Crash Bandicoot will come around latter this or next year.
Unless Nintendo buys the rights back from Microsoft, we won't see anything Banjo Kazooie or Conkers wise. Those are/were Rare franchises and Microsoft owns Rare now.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
I only have a question regarding this 3DS version, does it keep it's smooth 60 fps framerate from the Wii version? and more importantly, does it keep it's 60 fps if we decide to turn on the 3D?

likalaruku said:
Well, the thing is that this game wasn't developed by Rare, it was originally developed by Retro Studios, the guys from Metroid Prime. I'd definitely buy a port of Metroid Prime Trilogy for the 3DS.

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
SupahGamuh said:
I only have a question regarding this 3DS version, does it keep it's smooth 60 fps framerate from the Wii version? and more importantly, does it keep it's 60 fps if we decide to turn on the 3D?

likalaruku said:
Well, the thing is that this game wasn't developed by Rare, it was originally developed by Retro Studios, the guys from Metroid Prime. I'd definitely buy a port of Metroid Prime Trilogy for the 3DS.
I personally never had any framerate issues. It ran smoothly throughout my playthrough.

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
To what action or button did they map the roll maneuver in this port?

Hated that they mapped the rolling animation to a wii-mote shake in the Wii version and that they actively rejected the Nintendo Classic Controllers.

Jan 1, 2013
I'm glad they included a mode just for me in Donkey Kong Country 3D. Maybe I won't fail as hard as with the Super Nintendo game.

likalaruku said:
Didn't Nintendo want to distance itself from Conqer's?

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
bluegate said:
To what action or button did they map the roll maneuver in this port?

Hated that they mapped the rolling animation to a wii-mote shake in the Wii version and that they actively rejected the Nintendo Classic Controllers.
As I recall it depends on the control method you select. I preferred the d-pad controls, which mapped the roll maneuver to the shoulder buttons, if I'm recalling correctly that is.