Morocco, Indonesia To Join Civilization V Roster

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
Morocco, Indonesia To Join Civilization V Roster

Come with me to the Kasbah.

Civilization V [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/123898-Civilization-V-Video-Shows-How-Art-Wins-Games] enthusiasts - of which there are one or two out there - rejoice, as two new civilizations have been confirmed for the latest expansion, Brave New World. Indonesia and Morocco are the new potential rivals for imperialist expansionist Ghandi and the rest of the crowd. Screenshots abound! Get 'em while they're hot!

[gallery=1508]

Indonesia, led by Gajah Mada of the mighty Majapahit Empire - he who vowed to abstain from worldly pleasures until he had conquered the whole Indonesian archipelago for his queen - gets some pretty nifty resource bonuses and a unique swordsman unit. Indonesia's first three cities founded on new continents get two special luxury resources via the Spice Islanders ability, which may come in very handy for trade and Happiness, but demands seafaring expansion. The Kris Swordsman, which gets a random upgrade after the first round of combat, is Indonesia's tough early unit, while the Candi - a portico-covered shrine - replaces the garden and gives Faith bonuses.

Morocco's Ahmad al-Mansur, the Golden, who dreamed of spreading Islam to the Americas, has trade route bonuses to gold and culture from every external trade route via his Gateway to Africa ability. He also has access to Berber Cavalry units, which replace standard cavalry and get combat buffs when fighting on home or desert tiles. Morocco's Kasbah [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UlQUktX9QAs] improvement is for desert tiles, and gives them added defense, food, production and gold.

Be patient, oh glorious ruler! This one isn't due till July 2013.

Kaimax

Jul 25, 2012
Wow, that's surprisingly neat of them to actually include the most popular historical figure of Indonesia into this.
I honestly might start playing my "first" civilization because of this. It's really rare for this to happen, the closest I can remember was getting a spot in old FIFA games.

Shadowsetzer

Jul 15, 2010
Karloff said:
Morocco's Kasbah [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UlQUktX9QAs] improvement is for desert tiles, and gives them added defense, food, production and gold.
So I guess this means we get to.... *puts on sunglasses* .....rock the Kasbah.

I love how they're still supporting/expanding this game. More companies need to do stuff like this.

bimon_1234567

Mar 15, 2012
Gajah Mada of Majapahit as the representative for Indonesia?!?

That's like using Arminius the Cherusci as the representative for Germany.

Oh well, that's what you can expect from Civ I guess.

New Frontiersman

Feb 2, 2010
It's cool to see more African and Asian civilizations, although I was hoping to see at least one new Native American civilization. I think it would have been pretty cool if they had included the Comanche Empire. Oh well, can't have everything I guess.

I'll definitely play a game or two as Morocco when I get this. It would be interesting if they included a scenario where you try and achieve Ahmad's goal of a Moroccan colonization of the Americas or the reconquest of Al-Andalus.

bimon_1234567 said:

I don't know much about the history of Indonesia. I take it Gajah Mada was a fairly obscure Indonesian ruler? Who do you think would be a better fit?

kajinking

Aug 12, 2009
So wait? There was a guy who tried to bring Islam to the Americas through trade and culture and not through murder? Why the hell can't some modern people figure that out!?

bimon_1234567

Mar 15, 2012
New Frontiersman said:
bimon_1234567 said:

I don't know much about the history of Indonesia. I take it Gajah Mada was a fairly obscure Indonesian ruler? Who do you think would be a better fit?
Oh Gajah Mada is perfectly fine, but only if you actually call the in-game civilization Majapahit.

Indonesia is a fairly recent invention that would better be represented by someone like Sukarno, that's what I was getting at.

RoonMian

Mar 5, 2011
bimon_1234567 said:
Oh Gajah Mada is perfectly fine, but only if you actually call the in-game civilization Majapahit.

Indonesia is a fairly recent invention that would better be represented by someone like Sukarno, that's what I was getting at.
Since Civilization 4 Firaxis has refrained from including some of the more "problematic" historical figures from the last century. So Sukarno is kinda out of the question for them.

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
Morroco's special unit is cavalry and not a mole in a fez? Colour me disappointed.

New Frontiersman

Feb 2, 2010
bimon_1234567 said:
New Frontiersman said:
bimon_1234567 said:

The Civilization games tend to be pretty general like that with their leaders really.

Making Isabella I of Castile the leader of Spain in Civ 5 or making Saladin of the Ayyubid Egyptians the leader of Arabia in Civ 4 both serve as good examples. Hell, Hiawatha wasn't even a real person yet they made him the leader of the Iroquois.

Smiley Face

Jan 17, 2012
So, is this all the new civs announced? Poland, Portugal, Zulu, Assyria, Brazil, Morocco, Indonesia... am I missing any of them? Are there more to be announced?

Looking forward to this expansion, I keep starting new games once I've effectively won, let's hope this holds my interest enough to change that.

Sidmen

Jul 3, 2012
Every time I see news for Civ5 it makes me sad that my computer is too cheap to actually run the game... I've been playing Civ4 for WAY too long.

Drummodino

Can't Stop the Bop
Jan 2, 2011
Sidney Buit said:
Every time I see news for Civ5 it makes me sad that my computer is too cheap to actually run the game... I've been playing Civ4 for WAY too long.
Having clocked almost 300 hours of Civ V, I can safely say a new computer would be worth it to play this game.

Reynaert

Jan 30, 2011
Can't wait to play this. Does anyone know how much this is going to set me back? Gods and Kings still costs ?30 so I think we can expect something around that price point.
I am just going to try and send some mayans in space for now.

DJonos

Jan 28, 2013
Reynaert said:
Can't wait to play this. Does anyone know how much this is going to set me back? Gods and Kings still costs ?30 so I think we can expect something around that price point.
I don't really care. Looks like an even bigger expansion than Gods an Kings, so should be worth it's money.

Still think they should add the Polish.

ShipofFools

Apr 21, 2013
bimon_1234567 said:

Wow, that's a great idea! Maybe you can even build the giant statue at some point, that would be cool.
I already use Germany to troll the big empire building players (Rome, always), and having an actual Germanic warlord would just hit the spot.

Smashingpass

Jan 10, 2013
Yay! I'm loving that they're adding new additions to the franchise, not just rehashing the ones from Civ IV.

DJonos said:
Reynaert said:
I don't really care. Looks like an even bigger expansion than Gods an Kings, so should be worth it's money.

Still think they should add the Polish.
... They are adding the Polish. They were the first Civ revealed for this expansion pack (followed by Assyria, Brazil, Portugal, Zulu, now Morocco and Indonesia, with two more to be revealed).