Tearaway Hands-on Preview

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Tearaway Hands-on Preview

The team behind LittleBigPlanet gives you another reason to own a Vita.

Read Full Article

Lucane

Mar 24, 2008
For a Vita game that looks pretty interesting with the way it uses it's unique features.

But,don't take this the wrong way but there might be a bit of a disconnect or crying fowl on the racial color of the finger represented in game. Unless they've designed a color scanner which would be amazing (just tech wise but also for racial diversity)or just a color(/gender?) editor/select.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Lucane said:
For a Vita game that looks pretty interesting with the way it uses it's unique features.

But,don't take this the wrong way but there might be a bit of a disconnect or crying fowl on the racial color of the finger represented in game. Unless they've designed a color scanner which would be amazing (just tech wise but also for racial diversity)or just a color(/gender?) editor/select.
Can't speak to that because I didn't play that level, but given how much it relies on the Vita camera to take things from the "real" world, I imagine that's probably going to be the player's own finger.

sushkis2

Apr 14, 2011
It's cute how they're trying to reinvent the wheel in the platformer department, but am I the only one still waiting for a proper Crash Bandicoot or Gex or Spyro the Dragon or all of those together ?

This may sound weird, but IMO the only thing, that's come any way close to being like Spyro is Dark Souls. Who's with me?

kailus13

Soon
Mar 3, 2013
sushkis2 said:
It's cute how they're trying to reinvent the wheel in the platformer department, but am I the only one still waiting for a proper Crash Bandicoot or Gex or Spyro the Dragon or all of those together ?

This may sound weird, but IMO the only thing, that's come any way close to being like Spyro is Dark Souls. Who's with me?
Sorry to dissapoint you, but given how well Skylanders is doing, we won't see a "pure" Spyro game for quite a while.

This game seems fun, but it's still not enough to get me to buy a Vita.

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
sushkis2 said:

Crash Bandicoot is currently locked up in a cage in the IP hording dungeons below Activision headquarters. At this point in time it's unknown whether he's even alive anymore.

Crystal Dynamics seems to have forgotten that Gex existed entirely. It's sad because it was one of the greater platformers of its time. I don't even know if Crystal Dynamics even hold the copyright for Gex anymore.

No idea what happened to Spyro either except that by the XBox/PS2 era the games just started to suck even worse than the Crash games did.

Anyway, if you have a Vita, the EU PSN has all of the Spyro, Crash Bandicoot and Gex games that were available on PS1 for less than $10 each. And in all honesty, the gameplay and visuals STILL hold up today when played on that delicious OLED screen. I spend a lot of time playing all of those games on my Vita and still love them.

OT: I'm pretty excited about this. Very much looking forward to giving Tearaway a try.

Daniel Park

Oct 10, 2010
The final sentence was a tad snarky. I felt like I had gotten burned on the PSP, so I was hesitant for a long time before finally taking the plunge on a Vita. I don't know if it's the ease with which I can download new titles (albeit onto an overpriced memory card), the frequent (and frequently good) price specials offered on PSN (esp if you're a PS+ user), or the fact that my wife and son are constantly commandeering the television where our PS3 resides, but my Vita sees almost daily use. And that 32gb memcard has proven really easy to completely fill with good stuff.

RevRaptor

Mar 10, 2010
Looks like a fun game, real shame its only on the Vita. After the dismal PsP and the truly terrible xperia play, I really have no trust in Sony any more.

sushkis2

Apr 14, 2011
VanQ said:
sushkis2 said:

Crash Bandicoot is currently locked up in a cage in the IP hording dungeons below Activision headquarters. At this point in time it's unknown whether he's even alive anymore.

Crystal Dynamics seems to have forgotten that Gex existed entirely. It's sad because it was one of the greater platformers of its time. I don't even know if Crystal Dynamics even hold the copyright for Gex anymore.

No idea what happened to Spyro either except that by the XBox/PS2 era the games just started to suck even worse than the Crash games did.

Anyway, if you have a Vita, the EU PSN has all of the Spyro, Crash Bandicoot and Gex games that were available on PS1 for less than $10 each. And in all honesty, the gameplay and visuals STILL hold up today when played on that delicious OLED screen. I spend a lot of time playing all of those games on my Vita and still love them.

OT: I'm pretty excited about this. Very much looking forward to giving Tearaway a try.
That's entirely my point, As a matter of fact, I still have all of those for the PS1, and I still fire them up on my emulator. I am really disappointed in myself, that I broke my PS1, and sold the PS2 afterwards. And I never ever finished them all 100%, never got all the gems in Crash Bandicoot 1-3, never found all the remotes in Gexes, and never found all the dragons in Spyro games. I am tempted to look that up, and check if there's an alternate ending on Youtube, but that's for quitters!

Rogue 9

I, Jedi
Jun 22, 2008
This does sound like a lot of fun. I haven't played a platformer in too long - probably the last one I played was (technically) Super Paper Mario.

Oh, and Susan, my Vita charging cable gets daily use and it's partly your fault. By which I mean that I've sunk ~170 hours into Persona 4 Golden and I'm up to October 25th on my second playthrough, having started a second as soon as I finished my first.

I love the game very much and I lay at least a little bit of the responsibility at your doorstep for championing it so mightily. I hope you can cope =P

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Rogue 9 said:
This does sound like a lot of fun. I haven't played a platformer in too long - probably the last one I played was (technically) Super Paper Mario.

Oh, and Susan, my Vita charging cable gets daily use and it's partly your fault. By which I mean that I've sunk ~170 hours into Persona 4 Golden and I'm up to October 25th on my second playthrough, having started a second as soon as I finished my first.

I love the game very much and I lay at least a little bit of the responsibility at your doorstep for championing it so mightily. I hope you can cope =P
Mwaaaahahahaaaaa....success!

When you're done with that, you can download Persona 3 P and start all over again (though I still feel 4 is a superior game).

Rogue 9

I, Jedi
Jun 22, 2008
Susan Arendt said:
Rogue 9 said:

Mwaaaahahahaaaaa....success!

When you're done with that, you can download Persona 3 P and start all over again (though I still feel 4 is a superior game).
I do plan to do just that. I finally got Persona 4 Arena a couple of days ago (huzzah for PAL release delays) and even if I wasn't already planning to get P3P I definitely need to get it now so I can familiarise myself with the P3 characters.