Hollywood Tries to Censor Movie About Hollywood Censors

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Hollywood Tries to Censor Movie About Hollywood Censors

The irony is lost on the Hollywood studios, who have asked Google to take down links pointing to a Pirate Bay documentary based on the lives of the three founders of The Pirate Bay and their fight with Hollywood censors.

TPB-AFK is a documentary produced by Simon Klose that is based on the lives of the three founders of The Pirate Bay. It follows the multi-million dollar copyright infringement case the trio were involved in, and discuses the dangers of censorship on the internet. It was released in February this year completely free of charge, and millions of people have already watched it. But while the public response to the Pirate Bay produced documentary and its free model is overwhelmingly high, Ebenezer Scrooge, in the form of several Hollywood studios, is putting up its usual resistance. The irony of attempting to censor a movie about censorship is lost on Viacom, Paramount, Fox, and Lionsgate, who are trying to take down links pointing to the documentary.

Over the past few weeks, the four Hollywood studios have been actively trying to suppress the availability of TPB-AFK by requesting that Google remove links to the documentary from its search engine. As Google is one of, if not the biggest search engines in use, this is kind of a big deal. The takedown requests are carefully hidden in standard DMCA takedown notices for popular movies and TV shows, which the studios actually hold the rights for.

While it is possible that this is a tinfoil-hat conspiracy from Hollywood trying to silence TPB, another likely explanation is that this is just collateral damage from automated DMCA takedown request processes.

Most studios fully-automate their takedown requests, with programs that simply troll through all recently added Google links, pick up on infringing content, and file the request. It is entirely plausible that the Pirate Bay documentary was simply picked up by the automated system for whatever reason.

Torrent Freak [http://torrentfreak.com/hollywood-studios-take-down-pirate-bay-documentary-130519/] warns that this doesn't make it any less of a problem, as it shows that the current DMCA system is ripe for abuse from Hollywood studios, as shareholders can take down whatever they want with almost no oversight and no incentive to improve the accuracy of their systems. It suggests a kind of "three strikes" systems for studios that abuse the system.

Source & Image: Torrent Freak [http://torrentfreak.com/hollywood-studios-take-down-pirate-bay-documentary-130519/]

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011
Guy's neighbour hacks into guy's wi-fi and downloads a single episode of an obscure TV show that hasn't been re-run or put on DVD: guy gets sued $50,000.

Multi-billion company fires off DMCA notice to silence criticism: slap on the wrist.

This is why I hate copyright as a business model.

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
Ok I didn't have a clue that this movie existed until now.

Now I'm going to watch it jsut to see what the fuss is about.

Barbra Streisand Effect Ho!

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
Wait, I don't think I understand this... On what grounds are the listed studios trying to censor the film? If I'm reading the article right, the documentary was free of charge. I could understand them protecting their own IP, but this isn't their IP, is it? How is this even remotely legal?

Rainforce

Apr 20, 2009
Jandau said:
Wait, I don't think I understand this... On what grounds are the listed studios trying to censor the film? If I'm reading the article right, the documentary was free of charge. I could understand them protecting their own IP, but this isn't their IP, is it? How is this even remotely legal?
It Isn't. Welcome to the world of copyright.

I will totally watch this thing now, though, because it sounds interesting.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Jandau said:
Like the article said it is most likely an automated claim, if any of their IP names gets mentioned their software adds that link to the pile of blanket DMCA claims.

And this is not legal, not in the slightest, what is even more illegal is taking down content before the claims have gone through the legal system... this is just conglomerates muscling their way past any laws with money.

Khanht Cope

Jul 22, 2011
Ugh, thought we already went through why broad-range, autocratic and practically unaccountable policing of IP across the internet was retarded when they were pushing SOPA.

Now with this and Nintendo recently, we have the prospect of scattershot automated programs scanning the net and arbitrarily flagging everything they recognise without accountability for accuracy. Either wade through a series of challenges, and potential litigation to defend the item in question; or tough luck, because grayish and/or contentious potential IP infringement trumps the free flow of information and expression.

(goodbye rule 34?)

BlackStar42

Jan 23, 2010
The Plunk said:
I'm gonna go download this film now. Just to prove to these Copyright Cunts[sup]©[/sup] that the Streisand Effect is real.
Agreed. All they're doing is ensuring even more people will want to see it now.

Sectan

Aug 7, 2011
Desert Punk said:
There really should be a penalty for false DCMA takedown requests. If I was google I would have a three strikes policy, if you make 3 false DCMA takedown requests, you would be bared from EVER making another DCMA takedown request.

Fucking DCMA is retarded anyway, the people that came up with it ought to be flogged.
A company can actually be sued for false DMCA flags. Only issue is it turns into "Who runs out of money first" and that's a fight a regular person can't win.

Reminds me of SEGA and their false DMCA take downs of reviews/let's plays of Shining Force on Youtube. Even ones that only showed a guy sitting in front a camera and talking. I don't think those videos ever got restored and people got stuck with copyright strikes on their accounts. Seems that when a company decides to throw their weight around, even when it isn't lawful, there isn't much you can do about it.

Just watched the video on youtube. Pretty good stuff.

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
Desert Punk said:
There really should be a penalty for false DCMA takedown requests. If I was google I would have a three strikes policy, if you make 3 false DCMA takedown requests, you would be bared from EVER making another DCMA takedown request.

Fucking DCMA is retarded anyway, the people that came up with it ought to be flogged.
I don't think it should be a permanent ban from making DMCA requests, it should be that requests are free (or with a small fee) but making three false claims grants you a hefty fine and any subsequent takedown requests have a large fee attached too. That way if they have to remove thousands of links, each with a $1000 fee for the request, they are out a million bucks. Repeat for every movie/show that gets put on the web and they could get bankrupted by fighting pirates if they aren't careful!

It will never happen though. Currently the legal hierarchy is thus:

<-- Hollywood studios
<-- The law
<-- You
<-- Crabpeople

Entitled

Aug 27, 2012
This also happened with Cory Doctorow's novel, Homeland (he released it under Creative Commons, open for personal digital copying), that was taken down by Fox, probably due to the automated systems mistaking it for Fox's TV show of the same title.

kailus13

Soon
Mar 3, 2013
BlackStar42 said:
The Plunk said:
I'm gonna go download this film now. Just to prove to these Copyright Cunts[sup]©[/sup] that the Streisand Effect is real.
Agreed. All they're doing is ensuring even more people will want to see it now.
Especially considering that it would have just flown under peoples radar if they hadn't flagged it. I hadn't even heard of this movie before now.

LordMonty

Badgerlord
Jul 2, 2008
Everything has an equal and opossit force, the harder you push the harder they will push back. Lets hope freedom won't be sacrificed for other men's greed. Anyway good doc nothing mindblowing but worth a watch.