Shadow Warrior Gets a Modern-Day Makeover

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Shadow Warrior Gets a Modern-Day Makeover

Shadow Warrior is back, but this is not your father's Wang.

The "Hard Reset [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/123870-Rumor-Shadow-Warrior-Returns]. But could we look forward to the same kind of racist, sexist humor that made the original so "memorable?" Probably not, let's face it, yet what we could reasonably expect remained almost a complete mystery.

Today, that situation has changed a little bit; we still don't have a decent trailer but we do have some screens and a smattering of information about the game itself. Shadow Warrior will still star Lo Wang, the hero of the 1997 original, but this time around he's the "corporate shogun" at Zilla Enterprises, dispatched to track down and acquire the legendary blade known as the Nobitsura Kage. But the blade has a connection to "ancient gods," and his mission brings him into conflict with demons from another realm who invade our world and threaten all of humanity.

[gallery=1512]

It's not exactly a videogame scriptwriting revolution and Fork Parker, chief financial officer at publisher Devolver Digital, probably summed it up best in more ways than one. "You tangle with twin female assassins and slice off demon heads to use as weapons," he said. "It's super f*cking rad."

But is a revolution in storytelling something we're really looking for in a Shadow Warrior reboot? I don't think so. Action and violence are more likely to be at the top of that wish list, and those are things that Flying Wild Hog has some experience in delivering; these new screens, while few in number, look pretty great too. It probably won't be the Shadow Warrior you remember (or that you parents told you about) but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

Shadow Warrior is scheduled for a digital release this fall for the PC, while next-gen console versions are planned for 2014.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
So long as it doesn't have regenerating bloody health I'll be all up for it.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
DVS BSTrD said:
hazabaza1 said:
So long as it doesn't have regenerating bloody health I'll be all up for it.
Would that make this a... deep Wang for you?
That wasn't even funny.
You're falling apart, you devious bastard you.

Captcha: That's enough
True that, captcha. True that.

JokerboyJordan

Sep 6, 2009
Reminds me of that the Japanese guy from the Darkness 2 Vendetta Mode.

Hey, more stuff with Japanese mythology is always okay in my book, even if the premise sounds a little juvenile.

Apr 28, 2008
I wonder how many people will complain it's not as racist and sexist as the original and therefore not authentic or whatever yet praise it for not including multiplayer, which the original had.

Quantupus

Apr 15, 2009
Blargh McBlargh said:
... Where's Lo Wang? :(

No Lo Wang = no interest of purchasing the game and lamenting yet another classic destroyed.
Ummm... "Shadow Warrior will still star Lo Wang, the hero of the 1997 original..."

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
So will we wash Wang, or watch Wang wash Wang? These questions remain unanswered.

Dfskelleton

Apr 6, 2010
I'm cautious. I trust Flying Wild Hog, but Shadow Warrior is known for a lot of things that are impossible to pull off in a modern "politically correct" era. I still remain hopeful.
Also, while a warderobe update for Lo Wang is reasonable given the new direction, I really want him to still be recognizable as Lo Wang. If he's not bald and he doesn't have the mustache/beard combo, and not even a slightly cheesy Asian accent, then why still call him Lo Wang?

Grabehn

Sep 22, 2012
BigTuk said:
Yeah, don't get your hopes up. They basically said they won't have any of the racist humor, the mysoginist jokes, the anime references and you know, the things that actually made Shadow Warrior well Shadow Warrior. What they've done is made a Ninja Gaiden or God of War Clone and decided to slap the Shadow Warrior name on it.
Wait... so this is going to be a "politicaly correct" game in the age of people fighting over how dumbed down and objectified women are in games and how racist a zombie game is? I DON'T BELIEVE YOU!

Now honestly, I think I'll be just picking the original one on GoG, it looks like a lot of fun.

Zer0Saber

Aug 20, 2008
Was anyone else hoping that at the end of the trailer we would hear, "Who wants some Wang?"