Best of PlayStation Network, Vol. 1 Debuts This Summer

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Best of PlayStation Network, Vol. 1 Debuts This Summer

Sony's revealed plans to pack four of the PlayStation Network's best downloadable exclusives onto a single retail disc.

If you look at Sony's history since the firm entered the gaming biz, you'll notice a trend of constant rereleases. First the company introduced the Greatest Hits line which repackaged successful games at a reduced price. Now Sony wants to take the same tack with its PlayStation Network titles, and thus we have the verbosely-titled Best of PlayStation Network, Vol. 1.

As you've probably surmised from that "Vol. 1" bit, Sony hopes this release will be the first entry in a new line of relatively budget releases. How budget? According to the official PlayStation.blog, the Best of the PlayStation Network, Vol. 1 will hit the PlayStation 3 on June 18 with a retail price of $30.

As for what that $30 buys you, Sony's assembled a pretty impressive package. You have lesser known gems like When Vikings Attack!, esoteric hits like Tokyo Jungle and Sound Shapes, and rounding out the collection is Fat Princess, a cutesy strategy title that is way, way more addictive than it has any right to be. Overall, it's a very solid collection of PlayStation Network-exclusive games, and that $30 price tag is a sizable discount compared to the price you'd pay to grab all of these games individually.

So what's the catch? Sadly, if you buy the Best of the PlayStation Network, Vol. 1, you're only getting the base games. None of the DLC released for these titles will be included, nor will the games that feature PlayStation 3/PS Vita crossbuy technology include an additional Vita version (or even a download code). Basically, for your cash, you're just getting the initial, vanilla, PlayStation 3 iterations of each of these titles.

Still, if you've missed these games previously, this should serve as a solid way to finally see what all the fuss is about. Tokyo Jungle and Fat Princess by themselves are worth the price of admission, so it's difficult to be too upset with Sony about the lack of extra content in these titles. It would've been nice had it been included, but at $30 this package is still a bargain.

Source: PlayStation.blog [http://blog.us.playstation.com/2013/05/22/best-of-playstation-network-vol-1-arrives-this-june/]

Daymo

And how much is this Pub Club?
May 18, 2008
I hope they do something similar with Thatgamescompany's games. They are the only PSN games that really interest me besides some of the re-releases of old rpgs.

Schadrach

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 20, 2010
Country
US
Daymo said:
I hope they do something similar with Thatgamescompany's games. They are the only PSN games that really interest me besides some of the re-releases of old rpgs.
Tokyo Jungle and Fat Princess are *way* better than they sound, and Tokyo Jungle is a game that let's you pick from one of a fairly ridiculous number of animals for what is essentially a survival horror game. It's a game in which you can bring down goats as a Pomeranian dog, and that makes for compelling play as a *deer*.

Frezzato

Oct 17, 2012
Daymo said:
Are you aware that they already sell a Journey collector's edition? It comes with Flower and Flow. I think it initially sold for $30, which isn't all that bad considering that Journey cost--I think Journey costs $15 alone.

I wish I could give you more info, but there's really spotty reviews on Amazon, one of which claims that even though you have to install the games, you still need the disc in the PS3 in order to play them.

The disc version has a few extras from what I've read, like a behind-the-scenes documentary and some mini games. Oddly enough, even though I already have all 3 of TGC's games via digital download, I might get the disc version just because I'm not entirely at ease with the whole digital download thing.

Daymo

And how much is this Pub Club?
May 18, 2008
FizzyIzze said:
Daymo said:
Are you aware that they already sell a Journey collector's edition? It comes with Flower and Flow. I think it initially sold for $30, which isn't all that bad considering that Journey cost--I think Journey costs $15 alone.

I wish I could give you more info, but there's really spotty reviews on Amazon, one of which claims that even though you have to install the games, you still need the disc in the PS3 in order to play them.

The disc version has a few extras from what I've read, like a behind-the-scenes documentary and some mini games. Oddly enough, even though I already have all 3 of TGC's games via digital download, I might get the disc version just because I'm not entirely at ease with the whole digital download thing.
I was not aware of this at all, I am buying it right now as I type this, just checking my usual sites for the cheapest copy.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
Earnest Cavalli said:
So what's the catch? Sadly, if you buy the Best of the PlayStation Network, Vol. 1, you're only getting the base games. None of the DLC released for these titles will be included, nor will the games that feature PlayStation 3/PS Vita crossbuy technology include an additional Vita version (or even a download code). Basically, for your cash, you're just getting the initial, vanilla, PlayStation 3 iterations of each of these titles.
No sale, then. I'm not going to tell Sony that this kind of screwjob is okay by handing over cash for it. If you're going to bundle the games on the disc, at least include all the DLC. What if people were buying this disc because they have no internet connection or an internet connection too poor to download DLC, Sony? And then there's people like me who just plain don't like being fucked over.

Frezzato

Oct 17, 2012
Daymo said:
FizzyIzze said:
Daymo said:

I was not aware of this at all, I am buying it right now as I type this, just checking my usual sites for the cheapest copy.
Ah! I would wait. At the current price of approx. $30 US it's not worth it I think. I wouldn't pay more than 13GBP. Flower is relaxing and Flow looks cool, but Journey is the jewel in that crown. The problem with Flower and Flow is they work with the Sixaxis controller only. It's fine with Flower but Flow is top-down and requires quick turns, which isn't all that great with a motion controller.

Honestly I would just go with Journey, digital download, if it's under 10GBP or look for the Journey collection at 13.3GBP.

Xman490

Doctorate in Danger
May 29, 2010
In terms of my consumer decision between the PS3 and the 3 new consoles - to be made soon after E3 - , this bodes well for both getting the PS3 and getting the PS4. If Sony keeps up this game-centered - *ahem* Microsoft - generous attitude for its newer system, then I would gladly buy it at or near launch.

EDIT: And then I check the blog post and see that this costs $40 and has only 4 games, bringing a meager $15 in savings on partly questionably good games. Okay, no thanks. This article is incorrect in two ways: stating that there are "lesser-known gems" despite there being only one in the actual list and mis-quoting a $30 price tag.

FoolKiller

Feb 8, 2008
Best of PlayStation Network Vol 1?

How was "best" determined here? Pick some decent but niche games that need some more sales?