Mortal Kombat Komplete Jumps To Windows In July

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Mortal Kombat Komplete Jumps To Windows In July

After years of waiting, PC gamers will finally be able to decapitate ninjas to their heart's content, thanks to the upcoming Windows iteration of Mortal Kombat Komplete Edition.

When NetherRealm Studios released Mortal Kombat in April of 2011, few expected it to be so objectively good. More than a mere a quality entry in the Mortal Kombat franchise, the series reboot earned a spot on many competitive fighting gamers' choice games list, and the title has appeared at numerous important tournaments since its debut. Likewise, it's also appeared on every platform capable of supporting it: Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, Sony's Vita handheld - everything but Windows PCs (though that's going to change very soon).

Publisher Warner Bros. Interactive announced this morning that Mortal Kombat Komplete Edition will see a PC release this summer. A digital version of the game will come available for download on July 3, while a physical, retail version of the game hits shelves on August 6.

As for what's included in this incarnation of Mortal Kombat, well, it's (almost) everything. For your money you get the basic Mortal Kombat, all four of its DLC characters, 15 skins designed to make your fighter look more like his or her mid-90s self, and three fatalities likewise lifted from earlier Mortal Kombat titles.

Characters and aesthetic changes are great, but Warner Bros.' description of the game's basic functionality leaves us with important questions. Have a look:

Mortal Kombat Komplete Edition for PC features dynamic gameplay including Tag Team, Challenge Tower and a full feature length story mode. Players choose from an extensive lineup of the game's iconic warriors and challenge their friends in traditional 1 vs. 1 matches, or gamers can spectate battles and interact directly with Kombatants online during the King of the Hill mode. The game supports the Mortal Kombat Tournament Edition Fight Stick and delivers full controller capability. Players will also be able to access achievements and leaderboard stats.

By and large that sounds great. It appears that the PC version of the game will rival its console counterparts, at least as far as overall content goes. That said, it's unclear if the game can rival the Vita iteration of Mortal Kombat which included twice as many Challenge Tower missions as the original release of the game. We've sent messages to NetherRealm, Warner Bros., and High Voltage Software (the studio handling the PC port), asking how the PC Challenge Tower will look, and will be updating this piece when/if we hear back.

Also missing from today's announcement is word on how much the game might cost. We'd expect a semi-inexpensive $30-$40 price tag, but that's based entirely on speculation. Hopefully the aforementioned firms are willing to shed some light on this too. Expect more soon.

GAunderrated

Jul 9, 2012
To be honest 30-40 dollars for a 2 year old game is pretty expensive for the PC. I'll probably wait till its around 10 bucks since I have already played it and beaten it on ps3 .

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
GAunderrated said:
To be honest 30-40 dollars for a 2 year old game is pretty expensive for the PC. I'll probably wait till its around 10 bucks since I have already played it and beaten it on ps3 .
Again, that's totally speculative. It could (but probably won't) be totally free.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
GAunderrated said:
I'd agree but they're adding to it so I can accept a 30-40 dollar tag. It's better than When Street Fighter 4 got ported and demanded 50 with no change.

Zombie_Moogle

Dec 25, 2008
The real question is: Can my Mortal Kombat Kollector's Edition gamepad work on my PC with this new port?

(will be gleefully testing this tonight; details may follow)

GAunderrated

Jul 9, 2012
Earnest Cavalli said:
GAunderrated said:
Again, that's totally speculative. It could (but probably won't) be totally free.
You are correct it is speculative but it is pretty darn close I'd wager. If they were ballsy enough to put it at 19.99 I'd buy it day one just for being reasonable priced. I just hope they don't go full 50 like another poster said Street Fighter 4 (although its capcom so that explains that).

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
AzrealMaximillion said:
GAunderrated said:
I'd agree but they're adding to it so I can accept a 30-40 dollar tag. It's better than When Street Fighter 4 got ported and demanded 50 with no change.
And definitely better than Street Fighter X Tekken with a $50 price tag, but tons of extra DLC (included in the game itself but inaccesible 'till you buy it).

OT: This song sums up my feeling pretty well.

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Zombie_Moogle said:
The real question is: Can my Mortal Kombat Kollector's Edition gamepad work on my PC with this new port?
The USB fight stick does. Dunno about the gamepad.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
I had heard this was a pretty decent offering; maybe I'll take it for a spin, if the price is right. (Go, go, Gadget Steam Sale!)

Zombie_Moogle

Dec 25, 2008
Earnest Cavalli said:
Zombie_Moogle said:
The USB fight stick does. Dunno about the gamepad.
I believe we are referring to the same thing; if so, gravy :)

Now I gotta try it with other games too

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Zombie_Moogle said:
I believe we are referring to the same thing; if so, gravy :)
If by "gamepad" you meant "huge arcade-style fighting stick," then yes, we're on the same page. (And even if not, if the gamepad is USB I can't see why it wouldn't work ? and worse comes to worst, someone will inevitably release a hack to make it functional.)

Edit: Specifically, this is the one that's supposed to work: http://www.amazon.com/Mortal-Kombat-Xbox-360-Stick/dp/B004XNYVGO

BakedZnake

Sep 27, 2010
Owned gaming computers for past decade or so, played all different genres of games but fighting games on pc. I don't think fighting games are a big thing in PC gaming imo

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
I'll probably buy it. We need more fighting games on the PC so it's a good idea to show support when something like this happens. And it looks great.

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
BakedZnake said:
Owned gaming computers for past decade or so, played all different genres of games but fighting games on pc. I don't think fighting games are a big thing in PC gaming imo
Traditionally they aren't, but recent (post-Street Fighter IV) titles have increasingly been popping up on Windows.

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
I wonder why they waited over two years to bring it to the PC. That is pretty awesome though that it coming to PC.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
Bat Vader said:
I wonder why they waited over two years to bring it to the PC. That is pretty awesome though that it coming to PC.
They probably didn't wanna have a Dark Souls or GTA style port.

hino77

Mar 4, 2010
BakedZnake said:
'

Well, one could wonder, is it that way, becouse no one wants to play fighting games on pc, or maybe, no one is releasing fighting games there, so people are buyng them on consoles, and then dont buy them on pc when they are ported, becouse they own them on consoles. I always liked fighting games, and i am a pc gamer. Guilt Gear and Street Fighter IV were really fun for me.
Ot: There were rumors of the mortal kombat pc port for quite some time now, and that got me pretty excited, now that they confirmed it, im all giddy XD.

BakedZnake

Sep 27, 2010
hino77 said:
BakedZnake said:
'

Well, one could wonder, is it that way, becouse no one wants to play fighting games on pc, or maybe, no one is releasing fighting games there, so people are buyng them on consoles, and then dont buy them on pc when they are ported, becouse they own them on consoles. I always liked fighting games, and i am a pc gamer. Guilt Gear and Street Fighter IV were really fun for me.
Ot: There were rumors of the mortal kombat pc port for quite some time now, and that got me pretty excited, now that they confirmed it, im all giddy XD.
Thats the thing, with a fighting game I usually play it on the 360 when mates are round. Don't see me and my friends huddled round my 24 inch monitor to play a fighting game when we can do it infront of a large tv. Also the last major fighting game title to be released on the PC was Street Fighter IV arcade edition and that was like 3 years ago.