Xbox One Won't Support SDTVs

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008

Also missing: Support for Dial-up, Punch Cards and Betamax.

Are you one of the handful of gamers still using an SDTV? If so, the Xbox One might not be for you. Despite looking like a VHS player from the mid-90s, the console will not support SDTVs out of the box. The Xbone, to use its not-quite official name, lacks any kind of analogue output. Instead, you connect the console to your TV via the current industry standard, HDMI.

While HDMI-to-whatever converters are cheap and plentiful, it's not clear if the Xbone will actually support sub-720p resolutions. I wouldn't be surprised to find out it couldn't; Numerous 360 games ran into problems when it turned out they were more-or-less unplayable [http://www.1up.com/news/capcom-responds-dead-rising-sdtv] on SDTVs. [http://www.joystiq.com/2012/05/21/minecraft-xbla-refunds-available-to-sdtv-owners/]

To most of you this won't be a big deal. In fact, it'll probably be seen as a long-overdue step forward. If you can afford a device likely to cost somewhere in the $400-$500 range, you can probably afford to put out $200 for a television that wasn't around during the Nixon administration.

The move has led to speculation that the console will likely be embracing High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection (HDCP), a protocol that checks what kind of receiver you have connected to your device to prevent unauthorized copying of digital content. The PS3 currently supports full HDCP encryption, which is why it's famously incompatible with recording or capture devices connected via HDMI. Considering HDCP is quickly becoming a standard for digital television, and the Xbone is all about the television [http://youtu.be/KbWgUO-Rqcw], it seems likely the console will support the encryption protocol.

Source: Gimmegimmegames [http://gimmegimmegames.com/2013/05/xbox-one-will-be-hdmi-only-wont-work-on-non-hdtvs/]

Trishbot

May 10, 2011
Well, as someone with ZERO HD TVs in my household, because they're all 90's era, big screen SD ones, this is certainly unfriendly news.

I actually think the last poll found that nearly 30-40% of TV owners still owned SD TVs as their primary television... so that seems like a lot of the market they'll still miss out on.

iniudan

Apr 27, 2011
How dare you not work in my Admiral TV (That actually the newest and only TV I own)

P.S. Only keep it around because it the TV I play console game on since I finished first grade (when I got my NES) and the damn thing is impossible to kill, has the freaking thing never got repair while been older then me. It also got pretty good image for such an old TV set.

Proverbial Jon

Not evil, just mildly malevolent
Nov 10, 2009
Oh, well god damn! It does still play VCR tapes though, right?

Way to force everyone into your personal warped vision of the future Microsoft.

an annoyed writer

Exalted Lady of The Meep :3
Jun 21, 2012
So, not only are they making it a nightmare to try and set up on an older TV, they're also trying to tell machinima makers to fuck off? Well, I guess we'll oblige. Thank you microsoft, for telling us straight-up that you don't want anything to do with us. It seems the feeling is mutual.

SwimmingRock

Nov 11, 2009
I'm not sure why you felt the need to be so condescending about it.

Balls to this nonsense. I canceled my cable subscription in 2009. Sure as shit not buying a new tv just so I can then buy a console which will allow me to pay more for my games than direct download. Now I'm actually gonna have to figure out how to not be terrible with a pc. I generally wreck them in about 2-3 years :(

Xukog

May 21, 2011
Well,If I was planning to get this thing,I'd have to spend even more now to upgrade my tv.

ShadowTrooper-A-E

Aug 20, 2012
There stupidity is so damn fucking disgusting i wonder if bill gates is crying i mean seriously between all the other stupid shit it wont even work on my bedroom tv just get bent microshit(thought i never say that)but your capacity of greed and dumbshit decisions makes EA look BETTER than YOU!

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Trishbot said:
I actually think the last poll found that nearly 30-40% of TV owners still owned SD TVs as their primary television... so that seems like a lot of the market they'll still miss out on.
Given the other markets they seem unafraid to alienate, it should be no shock.

Lord_Gremlin

Apr 10, 2009
Well, I use an HDTV and gonna get a better one soon too, but at this point new xbox is a piece of shit no sane person should buy. So any news on what it's compatible with are irrelevant.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
I only recently got myself an HDTV, got it about 7 months ago, so that I could use my HD PVR 2 Gaming Edition, but this is honestly just sad. Seriously MS is really just having this "console" go to the rich people it would seem.
Also, is it sad that I had Dial-Up internet until 2008...
Plus with this encryption it seems like you'd be unable to even record this travesty. Makes you wonder what Roosterteeth is gonna do.
I mean that encryption is why the HD PVR 2 had the attachment to record component cables added onto it.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
Grey Carter said:

Also missing: Support for Dial-up, Punch Cards and Betamax.
Wait, What?! No Betamax?! Oh fuck this system .... How dare they ignore one of the single greatest steps forward in tech we've had. not your gonna tell me it doesn't play 8-tracks ....

Anyway, still using an SDTV here, not upgrading till this one dies. Course, not buying the XBone or PS4 ether so what they support visually is a moot point.

PS2 forever \m/

ScrabbitRabbit

Elite Member
Mar 27, 2012
We have a HDTV in our living room, but you can't attach a console to it because people like watching TV on it (yes, I know it's a "TV Box" but we already have a Virgin box). The only gamer besides myself in the house is my brother who has an SDTV and the only other HD display in the house is my PC monitor.

I wouldn't be surprised if the PS4 also lacked SDTV compatibility, though. It is about time to upgrade, really.

Neronium said:
Also, is it sad that I had Dial-Up internet until 2008...
Same here. Might have to go back to it, even (which means I can kiss goodbye to PC gaming :( ).

Midniqht

Beer Quaffer
Jul 10, 2009
This honestly doesn't surprise me either. Anyone that gets pissed about this is kind of a dinosaur at this point. Even the current gen consoles look like crap on an SDTV. Asking for it to be compatible with an SDTV is asking a bit much, in my opinion. At a certain point, you have to move forward with technology, not hold on to the past.

Trishbot said:
Well, as someone with ZERO HD TVs in my household, because they're all 90's era, big screen SD ones, this is certainly unfriendly news.

Sorry, but for the people who actually want to use next gen consoles anyway, you'd be in the extreme minority if you wanted to use it on an SDTV. So let's talk about that poll, eh? 30-40% is statistically a large spread of difference. I'd be curious to find out when/where that poll was conducted and how accurate its numbering is, because 30-40 just isn't an accurate enough figure - it leaves a lot of wiggle room, because that 10% difference could be a LOT of people.