Microsoft Predicts 100 Million Total Xbox 360 Sales

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
Microsoft Predicts 100 Million Total Xbox 360 Sales

Microsoft's Yusuf Mehdi believes the Xbox 360 can ship another 25 million units, while the next console generation will do even better.

The games industry is a lot bigger than even a single generation ago, and by most projections <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/117796-DFC-Game-Revenue-Set-To-Hit-70-Billion-by-2017>that growth is expected to continue. For many publishers and developers, the hope is that such increases will be heralded by a new console generation, as the industry transitions away from aging units to a brighter, flashier tomorrow. Microsoft's senior vice president of Interactive Entertainment Business, Yusuf Mehdi, certainly hopes so, but he still thinks the Xbox 360 has quite a bit of life in it. Not only does he believe the system will continue to succeed, but that with Microsoft's support, the eight-year old console will go on to boast a combined 100 million sales.

"We believe over the next five years we can break a 100 million unit installed base," Mehdi told OXM. "To sell another 25 million, half of those will probably come from replacements, but half will come from new buyers. And the way we'll break into those segments is by hitting new price points, getting new classes of entertainment to come with the Xbox, and breaking into new customer segments. So you'll see the Xbox 360 continue to exist, even as we launch the next generation Xbox One."

Microsoft intends to present its future Xbox 360 plans at E3, but Mehdi adds that real industry growth will come from next-gen consoles. "Every generation, as you've probably heard, has grown approximately 30%," Mehdi told OXM. "So this generation is about 300 million units. Most industry experts think the next generation will get upwards of about 400 million units [over the next decade]. We think you can go broader than a game console, that's our aim, and you can go from 400 million to potentially upwards of a billion units. That's how we're thinking of the Xbox opportunity as we go forward."

Even accounting for Xbox One, PS4, and Wii U projections, Mehdi's one billion is probably on the unrealistic side. It's certainly great to imagine 1/7th of humanity playing on consoles together, but unless the market exceeds 200% growth, 400 million is the more likely estimate. Mehdi's proposed 25 million Xbox 360 sales could be feasible, <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/113262-PC-Games-Will-Outsell-Consoles-by-2014>but current-gen console growth has been tricky to gauge lately. It all depends on what Microsoft has to say at E3, so until then, we'll just have to wait and see.

Source: OXM, via <a href=http://ca.ign.com/articles/2013/05/24/microsoft-over-1-billion-next-gen-consoles-will-be-sold>IGN

dragongit

Feb 22, 2011

Seriously Microsoft. You expect to sell another 25 million 360 units this late in the game? And expect your TV VCR box to sell more then 100 million units? Your blind optimism amuses me. If anything the number of units sold should be going down after that press conference.

Reyalsfeihc

Jun 12, 2010
It's... feasible. After price drops on the Xbox 360, plus the potential changes coming to the 360 that will be announced at E3, and people picking them up to replace aging first gen's on their deathbed/buying them for legacy support, it could be possible. I'd say maybe 7-12 million is a more realistic projection for now though.

NWJ94

Feb 21, 2013
So the frightening thing is, this prediction of 100 mil came after the fairly negative reaction. So what exactly where their estimates before the conference last Tuesday?

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
Fanghawk said:
"half of those will probably come from replacements"
Shows how much faith they have in their system doesn't it?

I'm willing to bet that at least half of their 360 sales IN TOTAL came from replacements. How many of us still have their very first 360? I know I've had 2, my brother has had 4, one of my friends has had and 3 and another friend has had 2 as well.

Amethyst Wind

Apr 1, 2009
I'm just waiting for Microsoft to building to a huge announcement that the XB1 doesn't actually exist and they're simply dropping out of the console market.

A big "U MAD BRO?" superimposed on screen for every connected 360 the world over simultaneously.

EstrogenicMuscle

Sep 7, 2012
You couldn't have asked for a better article written by the Onion.

Without moderation, Microsoft drunkenly drives themselves straight into a brick wall.

Around this time, a policeman should have been there to arrest them for operating a company under the influence.

Aug 1, 2010
This is actually highly plausible.

The Xbone is going to sell so few units, devs will simply make games for the 360, thus causing more 360s to be sold.

I'm calling it. This whole thing with the atrocious publicity is just a trick to drum up excitement for the PREVIOUS console.

velcthulhu

Feb 14, 2009
Is this their master plan? To make their new product so astonishingly worthless that they drive up sales of the old one? Was that the idea behind Vista and Windows 8 as well? Because if not, how are they possibly this unfamiliar with reality, and in what universe do they spend their time?

PoolCleaningRobot

Mar 18, 2012
CardinalPiggles said:
Fanghawk said:
"half of those will probably come from replacements"
Shows how much faith they have in their system doesn't it?

I'm willing to bet that at least half of their 360 sales IN TOTAL came from replacements. How many of us still have their very first 360? I know I've had 2, my brother has had 4, one of my friends has had and 3 and another friend has had 2 as well.
Every single 360 owner I know has owned at least 2. I paid about $400ish for my ps3 but in the long run, I saved more because I didn't have to buy a second one nor pay for xbox live

Bucht

Apr 22, 2010
Those figures are probably spot on, five of the are mine, you know because the damn thing kept breaking down and i'm dumb enough to try again with a new one.

VoidWanderer

Sep 17, 2011
Given the abominable reveal for the Xbone, I can see them selling more of the console that actually plays games...

The thing I can't stop noticing is that the XBone reveal has a worrying amount of things in common with the PS3 reveal... I mean, didn't they mention the whole watch TV thing or am I losing even more of my mind...

Tradjus

Apr 25, 2011
This, this is precisely the attitude that needs too be violently cut out of the video games industry, with a bonesaw if necessary, it -must- be purged, or the industry -WILL- die. These sorts of expectations.. reaching for the clouds while their asses are still in the mud, are going too -destroy- video gaming, it has before, in the crash in the eighties, it was the exact same attitude that caused that crash. When you do not only imagine, but EXPECT infinite growth, you will receive nothing but infinite disappointment.

LAGG

Jun 23, 2011
No idea how they really believe they will pull that off, even if there's another red-ring fiasco making the blindest fans buying it more than once.

Best of the 3

Oct 9, 2010
I actually see this happening, since no backward compatibility is being offered I'm probably going to have to stack up on cheap 360's while I get the chance.

SurfKansas

Nov 25, 2008
Fanghawk said:
So you'll see the Xbox 360 continue to exist, even as we launch the next generation Xbox One.
No, you'll see the Xbox 360 continue to exist, even as they fail to successfully launch the next generation Xbox One. Because unlike the XBone, the 360 will actually let people, you know, play games.

Raesvelg

Oct 22, 2008
dragongit said:
Seriously Microsoft. You expect to sell another 25 million 360 units this late in the game? And expect your TV VCR box to sell more then 100 million units? Your blind optimism amuses me. If anything the number of units sold should be going down after that press conference.
It's... not impossible.

Consider that the Playstation 2 sold another fifty million units after the current console generation started.

Where I find fault, to be honest, is his statement about how each console generation sells more than the previous one. It's technically true, but the Wii really skews the numbers for the most recent set; the PS3 and 360 combined sold less than the PS2 did over its lifetime. If he's talking about the sales period from 2000 to 2006, then maybe, but it's still sketchy.

neppakyo

Apr 3, 2011
We've had 4 360 replacements. Such a shitty design and console, and we still have the original ps3. Hell, I still have my Original PS2 I got on launch day, and it works.

The bender laugh sums up my feelings on that MS statement.