Fuse Review - High-Tech Mayhem

WMDogma

Jul 28, 2009
Fuse Review - High-Tech Mayhem

Ever wanted to kill someone with a black hole?

Read Full Article

Mhmh

Oct 12, 2012
Yay, a video review, been quite a while since we got one of those. Too bad the game looks to be quite run-of-the-mill and not too imaginative.

Shinsei-J

Prunus Girl is best girl!
Apr 28, 2011
All I could get from this is how ridiculously chiseled that guy is...
He puts Chris Redfield to shame.

MrHide-Patten

Jun 10, 2009
I was ready to give this game a miss with the EA Marketing department tampering to the asthetic and tone, but I played the demo and found it quite enjoyable.

And whilst it really doesn't matter, it's nice to see a bit of diversity in gender with a couple of playable female characters. Voiced by Jennifer Hale and Ali Hillis, so I can pretend I'm playing Mass Effect again.

Colt47

Oct 31, 2012
Eh, this game turned out the way everyone probably expected given the tonal shift from early development to finished product. In any case this is one of those games that someone should really try the demo for or better yet, rent from GameFly or some other rental service before buying: something I'd say about 90% of the video games out there.

JokerboyJordan

Sep 6, 2009
The problem is, going by the demo it is a good/alright game but because of the lack of marketing and the negativity now surrounding it probably won't do well, and has nothing to make it stand out.

The shift in art style was still unnecessary, as they said it was because they wanted (in a nutshell) more gruesome deaths, but going by what I saw there was no need to change anything.

Colt47

Oct 31, 2012
JokerboyJordan said:
The problem is, going by the demo it is a good/alright game but because of the lack of marketing and the negativity now surrounding it probably won't do well, and has nothing to make it stand out.

The shift in art style was still unnecessary, as they said it was because they wanted (in a nutshell) more gruesome deaths, but going by what I saw there was no need to change anything.
Yeah, unfortunately it's a side effect of everyone becoming more dependent on reviews for their purchasing decisions. In general, I think the world would be a lot happier if everyone took the time to rent out full games for five days and just pay the ten dollars to try the game out. If anything it probably would have saved some people as much as fifty dollars a year given how similar each call of duty and sports game is to each other.

A fact people miss is that the more niche a game is, the less likely it's going to get a good review unless the reviewer is really a fan of the specified niche. I loved Dark Cloud 2 (and am thinking of getting a black box copy while they still exist), but that game had issues such as repetition and shallow characters. Heck, as unusual as it sounds there are people that liked Final Fantasy XIII.

JokerboyJordan

Sep 6, 2009
Colt47 said:
JokerboyJordan said:

Yeah, unfortunately it's a side effect of everyone becoming more dependent on reviews for their purchasing decisions. In general, I think the world would be a lot happier if everyone took the time to rent out full games for five days and just pay the ten dollars to try the game out. If anything it probably would have saved some people as much as fifty dollars a year given how similar each call of duty and sports game is to each other.
Five days? I could probably complete a game in less time than that.

Secondly, according to developers that's not the mindset that they want, and is the reason why few even bother to make a demo. The costs of a demo apparently far outweigh the benefits, because with every person that thinks "This game is actually quite good, I'm going to buy it" there are two people that think "Nah, this game really isn't my kind of thing, I'm probably not going to buy it afterall"

Allowing people to try before they buy would be taking away people from making ill-informed purchases, and would ultimately cost sales.
Now you can flip that on its head and say lack of demos causes piracy...but that's another matter

Colt47

Oct 31, 2012
JokerboyJordan said:
Colt47 said:
JokerboyJordan said:

Five days? I could probably complete a game in less time than that.

Secondly, according to developers that's not the mindset that they want, and is the reason why few even bother to make a demo. The costs of a demo apparently far outweigh the benefits, because with every person that thinks "This game is actually quite good, I'm going to buy it" there are two people that think "Nah, this game really isn't my kind of thing, I'm probably not going to buy it afterall"

Allowing people to try before they buy would be taking away people from making ill-informed purchases, and would ultimately cost sales.
Now you can flip that on its head and say lack of demos causes piracy...but that's another matter
I believe you on being able to complete some of these games in less than five days. This is especially true for all these linear shooters and movie action games such as Bioshock Infinite and Tomb Raider.

If anything, the rental industry improved the gaming industry when it was at it's peak, as it forced developers to find ways to add more gameplay to titles in order to make them last longer than a five day rental period. By killing the rental industry it has lead to more games being focused on visual fidelity instead of inventive content experiences. Games have become shorter and their content less diverse than the ps2 era titles.

Terramax

Jan 11, 2008
I don't buy many modern games but this one REALLY interests me. The visuals remind me of Perfect Dark Zero, with the gameplay of Army of Two: 40th Day, my fav 3rd person this gen.

It's a bonus that it's an all new IP too.

Extra points for the jokey banter between characters. That stuff is right up my alley.

crimson sickle2

Sep 30, 2009
Can we just get rid of the score in Escapist reviews already? The reviewer makes the game sound completely average with a few exceptional components (fuse weapons) that are only available some of the time (not during bosses). Then a four out of five is stuck on the end for being a competent shooter. It just disturbs me, probably because the score is at the very end and I'm reminded about how rare good ending sequences are.

OT: I agree with the review about the game, although I can't say anything about the boss fights, which is kind of sad considering I played maybe ten minutes of the demo. Not much to this game, I guess?

Parakeettheprawn

Apr 6, 2013
*reads this review after several negative ones*

I'm rather surprised how differing opinions on the AI are -- some are praising it (like here) or calling them braindead (Game Informer). I look forward to reviewing it myself when my PS3 copy arrives, but TBH, I'm hoping it isn't as generic as everyone's making it out to be -- although to be fair, people said the exact same thing about Syndicate's reboot and I found them to be drastically wrong, so I'm hoping it's a similar situation.

Quazimofo

Aug 30, 2010
Hmm, gameplay looks like Mass Effect in multiple respects and the aesthetic, but with a tad of Gears of War to keep it from being too colorful and fun. And while Mass Effect had good gameplay, without a good story to back it up it just isn't worth a buy (considering the saturation of similar games with a lack of story). Even the humor seems to fall a bit flat since it is more sarcasm than wit, and wit is just eons better than sarcasm.

I remember when they first showed the trailer for overstrike, I said "if they dont change anything significant from what i've seen (squad based, co-op, colorful cartoony aesthetic and weapons, endearing characters, what may or may not be a laughably evil villain group though there will definitely be some silliness because goddamn terminator bot etc.), I'll buy this game". They made significant changes. I will not buy this game.

IoAuer

Jul 17, 2012
Ill go back and play Mass Effect 3 again.Who did all of this more bigger and better. For frack sake come on with something new.

PS Way to positive review for something that generic