Terraria Updates Coming to Console Versions

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Terraria Updates Coming to Console Versions

A majority, if not all, content from the quite hefty 1.2 update for Terraria on PC will be coming to its console versions as DLC.

Recently, developer Re-Digit announced treated with exclusive content. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/124332-Imminent-Update-Resurrects-Terraria-PC]

However, it looks like console gamers will have the last laugh, as it now seems the 1.2 patch, which was previously thought to be PC-exclusive, will be coming to consoles after all. 505 Games, the developer of the PSN and Xbox Live versions of Terraria, has announced that it plans to bring "as much as we can, if not all, of the PC content to consoles in the near future." [http://www.terrariaonline.com/threads/new-content-updates-planned-for-terraria-on-consoles.100622/]

"505 Games is giving Re-Logic as much space as possible to continue this, as we all have seen, creative and innovative streak. Once they have fully developed their vision for the future of Terraria, we will announce our plans for the delivery of this highly anticipated DLC."

505 Games said that the content will be released as "DLC". It stopped short of saying "paid DLC," but given Microsoft's history of refusing to allow free content for games on its service [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/94460-Microsoft-Adds-a-Price-Tag-to-Left-4-Deads-DLC], it seems very likely. We have been promised that the PC version of the update will be completely free.

This move brings up the question of, if this new PC content can be brought over to consoles, shouldn't Re-Logic be able to port the previous console-exclusive content back over to PC? That would be a really good "good-faith" gesture to the PC fanbase that was upset with Re-Logic's decision to allow the console versions to have exclusive content in the first place.

Re-Digit hopes to get the PC version of the patch out by July.

Source: Terraria Online [http://www.terrariaonline.com/threads/new-content-updates-planned-for-terraria-on-consoles.100622/]

Zer0Saber

Aug 20, 2008
505 Games have control over the console version and Re-Logic has control over the PC version. I don't get why people are so mad at Re-Logic. He made a great game, made lots of extra content for free, then said he was done and people got pissed at him. Then 505 Games added extra content to the console version and PC players got pissed at him. So he was nice enough to add extra content to the PC version again for free. I don't expect for him to keep working on it forever, so don't blame him if both versions are not the identical. This PC vs Console entitlement crap is getting petty guys. (Also I'm stoked about the Vita version.)

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
While it would be nice to see at least some of the console content, I'm not expecting it. Nor demanding it.

Regardless, I'm glad to hear this news. There's no reason the console players shouldn't get this content as well. The more the merrier.

I just wish we didn't have to wait until at least July for it...

GAunderrated

Jul 9, 2012
Zer0Saber said:
505 Games have control over the console version and Re-Logic has control over the PC version. I don't get why people are so mad at Re-Logic. He made a great game, made lots of extra content for free, then said he was done and people got pissed at him. Then 505 Games added extra content to the console version and PC players got pissed at him. So he was nice enough to add extra content to the PC version again for free. I don't expect for him to keep working on it forever, so don't blame him if both versions are not the identical. This PC vs Console entitlement crap is getting petty guys. (Also I'm stoked about the Vita version.)
I don't know a single person that is upset about both the PC version and the console version getting the updates. People were only upset over the whole facebook reveal fiasco and rightly so.

Glad the consoles will get to enjoy the new content I am just sad that they won't get it for free because the console market is so freely abused by DLC

Mumorpuger

This is a...!
Apr 8, 2009
Yay! I'm hoping if it's paid DLC it's not a stupid high price. Free-on-PC should translate to at most, a buck on Xbox.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
Once again, since the "new" console content is just a palette swapped version of previous armor with slightly higher stats, and the boss is just another boss with a few minor details added besides it being a giant floating skull with three eyes, I won't lose any sleep if they don't decide to bring it in.

The Lunatic

Princess
Jun 3, 2010
It's quite unlikely that this update will be free for the consoles.

And, while definitely, restricting content to any platform is just plain unfair and verges on betraying, the content for the Console update was kinda mediocre.

And the better elements from that update are already going to be in this new update.

So, while it's a pretty bad situation, it's not the worst in the world.

blackrave

Mar 7, 2012
I wonder what happened and changed the things?
Was it something related to Starbound?

JoshuaMadoc

Sep 3, 2008
Come on, you lugnuts, port the update to the upcoming Vita port. Just give me a damn reason to buy the Vita first and 3DS second.

I'm not shy in expressing my hate for 505 games, but even turds hide gems.

Charli

Nov 23, 2008
Zer0Saber said:
I was never mad, not for a moment, this game was great value for money and I clocked in over the 100+ hour mark on it. And then 1.1 was like a huge dollop of sweet creamy icing on the already delicious cake. It was alot of work for just a few people I'll bet and my little brother got hooked on the game too.

All for what, a few pounds? Chump change? I call that 'officially forfeited the right to complain'. I'd complain more about my daily food costing more than this to be frank!

Relogic could send me an email telling me that they kicked my grandmother while out shopping and I'd have a hard time holding it against them.

The rage over handing it over to a group who wanted to take it further on a console is basically saying 'HEY THAT EXCELLENT AND CHEAP GAME THAT I SPENT DAYS OF MY FREE TIME IN FOR LESS THAN I'D HAVE TO PAY FOR EVEN THE MOST BASIC OF INDIE GAMES? FUCK YOU.'

I don't think they really calculated how much terraria would just explode. And when driving forward unexpectedly on full steam (no pun intended) for 2 years in patch after patch I imagine it would haven gotten too much for them. But really they should have taken an indefinite break rather than announcing it ended and shipped off to someone else. Hang onto your cash cows! Or someone else will milk them.

But I'm all ready to pay if this IS payed DLC. A few bucks. Sure. Lets do it.

Azhrarn-101

Jul 15, 2008
Mumorpuger said:
Yay! I'm hjoping if it's paid DLC it's not a stupid high price. Free-on-PC should translate to at most, a buck on Xbox.
The trouble is, Microsoft makes the rules in that regard.
If they have set a minimum price, then the publisher will need to comply with that to get it on Live in the first place.
That link to the article about MS refusing to put up free content is there for a reason. ;)

Mumorpuger

This is a...!
Apr 8, 2009
Azhrarn-101 said:
Mumorpuger said:
Yay! I'm hoping if it's paid DLC it's not a stupid high price. Free-on-PC should translate to at most, a buck on Xbox.
The trouble is, Microsoft makes the rules in that regard.
If they have set a minimum price, then the publisher will need to comply with that to get it on Live in the first place.
That link to the article about MS refusing to put up free content is there for a reason. ;)
Mhm... hence the hope. :p

sibrenfetter

Oct 26, 2009
Steven Bogos said:
This move brings up the question of, if this new PC content can be brought over to consoles, shouldn't Re-Logic be able to port the previous console-exclusive content back over to PC? That would be a really good "good-faith" gesture to the PC fanbase that was upset with Re-Logic's decision to allow the console versions to have exclusive content in the first place.
Wait, so pc gamers got the content for free and the console gamers have to pay for it. I am fine with that as the consoles do ask a hefty price for rolling out updates. But if what the author thinks is that the pc users should therefore get the other content free of charge is completely beyond me. They just got a load of stuff for free and now they need a "good faith gesture" to apologize they got it for free?! The only fair way would be that the console exclusive content has to be paid for on the pc.

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
sibrenfetter said:
Steven Bogos said:
Wait, so pc gamers got the content for free and the console gamers have to pay for it. I am fine with that as the consoles do ask a hefty price for rolling out updates. But if what the author thinks is that the pc users should therefore get the other content free of charge is completely beyond me. They just got a load of stuff for free and now they need a "good faith gesture" to apologize they got it for free?! The only fair way would be that the console exclusive content has to be paid for on the pc.
Hi friend, thanks for your reply! Let me clear a few things up for you:

1.) When the console version came out, it came with a bunch of exclusive content (for free) that PC gamers didn't get
2.) It hasn't been confirmed that this new update will cost money on the console, but it probably will.
3.) If it DOES cost money, it will most likely be Microsoft faults, rather than the developers, as was the case with Left 4 Dead
4.) The good faith gesture is not to apologize for this new content, but to apologize for how the developer antagonized its PC fanbase by teasing new content and then announcing it to be console-exclusive.

Araksardet

Jun 5, 2011
I was okay with the console-only stunt once it was announced that PC was also getting an update, but to then go and give all that content to console owners as well while STILL not giving PC gamers the console content puts things back into the realm of shady stuff. If console gamers are getting PC content, I can see no good reason to withhold the console content from PC games (besides perhaps laziness, but the act of doing a 1.2 update makes it seem unlikely that Re-Logic is really that lazy).

hooblabla6262

Aug 8, 2008
In all honesty, the current console-exclusive content isn't all that great. I guess the additional pets are kinda cool.

I played the PC version quite a bit, but switched over when I found out the console version had split-screen. To me, that is its only advantage.
I was considering switching back because this update sounded pretty amazing, and 505 Games had yet to announce what they were doing. I'm pleased with this direction being taken.

Anyone else excited for Starbound?

sibrenfetter

Oct 26, 2009
Steven Bogos said:
1.) When the console version came out, it came with a bunch of exclusive content (for free) that PC gamers didn't get
2.) It hasn't been confirmed that this new update will cost money on the console, but it probably will.
3.) If it DOES cost money, it will most likely be Microsoft faults, rather than the developers, as was the case with Left 4 Dead
4.) The good faith gesture is not to apologize for this new content, but to apologize for how the developer antagonized its PC fanbase by teasing new content and then announcing it to be console-exclusive.
That did really clear things up, thanks!