German Official Expresses Xbox One Privacy Concerns

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
German Official Expresses Xbox One Privacy Concerns

Germany's Federal Data Protection Commissioner has some very harsh words about the intrusive potential of the Xbox One.

If you've been paying any attention at all to the Xbox One sideshow you'll know that motion and voice-based controls are a big part of the action. "Xbox on," you say, and it fires up, and then you grab and stretch and swipe and twist and do the hokey-pokey, because that's what it's all about. But in order for a system like that to work, it has to be listening, even when it's not active, and it has to be watching you - and that, combined with Microsoft's enthusiastic commitment to "the cloud," has a distinctly Orwellian ring to it if you look at it in the right light and let your mind wander.

It's on-the-fringe stuff, but it's not just conspiracy-theory kooks who are thinking about it: Peter Schaar, Germany's Federal Data Protection Commissioner, described the Xbox One as a "monitoring device" in a recent interview with Spiegel. "The Xbox continuously records all sorts of personal information about me. Reaction rates, my learning or emotional states," he said. "They are then processed on an external server, and possibly even passed on to third parties. Whether they will ever be deleted, the person can not influence."

Given its history, the German collective consciousness may be a little more sensitive to the potential intrusiveness of devices like this than most, and Microsoft recently sought to allay fears about the unit's spying potential, telling Kotaku that it can actually be turned "completely off" via the manual power button and that it will offer "simple, easy methods to customize privacy settings [and] provide clear notifications and meaningful privacy choices for how data will be used, stored and shared."

"We know our customers want and expect strong privacy protections to be built into our products, devices and services, and for companies to be responsible stewards of their data," the rep said. "Kinect for Xbox 360 was designed and built with strong privacy protections in place and the new Kinect will continue this commitment. We'll share more details later."

The "share more details later" approach to the Xbox One is a big part of why privacy advocates and consumers are so concerned about the potential for trouble; Microsoft is so desperate to control the message that it's refusing to provide any sort of clear, useful information about the system, leading to all kinds of wild speculation. Yes, it can be turned off - in one way or another, anything that relies on AC power can - but will most consumers bother with that, especially after they've grown used to the thing sitting, idle but on, above their screens?

Source: Kotaku [http://www.spiegel.de/netzwelt/games/ueberwachung-datenschuetzer-peter-schaar-kritisiert-microsofts-xbox-one-a-901893.html]

UPDATE: The Google translation of the original Spiegel article (and the Dexter111 [http://www.microsofttranslator.com/bv.aspx?from=de&to=en&a=http://www.spiegel.de/netzwelt/games/ueberwachung-datenschuetzer-peter-schaar-kritisiert-microsofts-xbox-one-a-901893.html] for bringing the issue to our attention.

tmande2nd

Oct 20, 2010
Hey no need to worry about being spied on.

If you cant figure out how to turn the xbone off just keep this off button handy!

The universal off button.

Proverbial Jon

Not evil, just mildly malevolent
Nov 10, 2009
Andy Chalk said:
Microsoft recently sought to allay fears about the unit's spying potential, telling Kotaku that it can actually be turned "completely off" via the manual power button
You know it won't be that easy. No matter what you do it'll always be watching you. Turn it off, it'll be watching. Unplug the cable, it'll be watching. Move out the country, it'll be watching.

It is "always on" after all.

It is somewhat akin to Winston Smith's vid screen; he could turn the volume down but he could never turn it off. He had to squeeze into a tiny spot of his room to avoid its gaze and remain perfectly quiet. I wonder if Microsoft have got around the problem of it seeing in the dark... I feel this is what the XBone will reduce us to.

The Artificially Prolonged

Random Semi-Frequent Poster
Jul 15, 2008
Hmmm perhaps some EU paddling is in store for Microsoft in the near future.
tmande2nd said:

If you cant figure out how to turn the xbone off just keep this off button handy!

Just make sure that you take the Kinect off the top of your TV before you use the off button. Turning your TV back on after using the "off switch" can be problematic :p

themilo504

May 9, 2010
Why the hell is Microsoft so vague about everything? Haven?t they realized that that?s the stupidest thing to do.

If they knew that people weren?t going to like their decisions then why didn?t they simply not make those decisions.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
tmande2nd said:

Nah what you want is:

Will effortlessly obliterate a console.

OT: Totally called the Germans being displeased. That said the thing doesn't have any features outside of the US, so nobody will buy it anyway. As for the privacy issues, thats part of why i wont be buying it.

dalek sec

Leader of the Cult of Skaro
Jul 20, 2008
themilo504 said:
Why the hell is Microsoft so vague about everything? Haven?t they realized that that?s the stupidest thing to do.
My personal theory on the matter is Microsoft had no idea they would be facing such a backlash over just about everything and they're scrambling like headless chickens to try and salvage anything from this whole mess, again, just a personal theory of mine and I could be totaly wrong about it. They have been vague as hell about everything since their reveal and it's not helping matters. I'm glad to see something with some pull in the world is calling them out on their douchebag nature with this 1984 piece of bastard tech...

My verison of the "off button" would be a damn 12 guage shotgun with a full tube of shells pointed at it. >:D

theSteamSupported

Mar 4, 2012
tmande2nd said:

I like how it's been labeled "YO-HO".

"Hang on, buddy! I just need to get my Yo-ho."

TiberiusEsuriens

Jun 24, 2010
Proverbial Jon said:
Andy Chalk said:
Microsoft recently sought to allay fears about the unit's spying potential, telling Kotaku that it can actually be turned "completely off" via the manual power button
You know it won't be that easy. No matter what you do it'll always be watching you. Turn it off, it'll be watching. Unplug the cable, it'll be watching. Move out the country, it'll be watching.

It is "always on" after all.

It is somewhat akin to Winston Smith's vid screen; he could turn the volume down but he could never turn it off. He had to squeeze into a tiny spot of his room to avoid its gaze and remain perfectly quiet. I wonder if Microsoft have got around the problem of it seeing in the dark... I feel this is what the XBone will reduce us to.
Yes, the Kinect 2.0 this time around has an HD camera paired with an infra-red camera. This combination means that in a pitch black room they can clearly sense/track/show all 3D objects in the room with 0% shadow. There is footage that shows this functionality.

I personally think that is really cool, as it is the first major consumer device like this that is now able to work in less-than-ideal conditions, something that the previous Kinect and Sony Eye-Toy were incapable of doing. But to go with the theme of comments, "ermergerd cermra!"

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
themilo504 said:

If they knew that people weren?t going to like their decisions then why didn?t they simply not make those decisions.
Probably because they have just found out they have fucked up big time and are trying their best to work out how to spin things to their advantage. Except they aren't giving anyone any answers, so the pit they have dug themselves is only getting deeper and more filled with shit the longer they hold out.

neppakyo

Apr 3, 2011
It would be nice if Germany does end up banning the xbone, which means the EU follows suit. Whats the population of the EU? Like 300 or 400 million or more?

kypsilon

May 16, 2010
I just wanna say that I'm a Canadian and I've had those same concerns ever since Microsoft applied for that patent on wanting to be able to use the kinect sensor to determine how many people were in your living space watching movies so that it could shut the movie off if too many people were watching it. There's far too much Big Brother in the Xbone for me to buy one, and I don't care if it now has an off switch.

Seriously, Microsoft needs to quit dicking around with what their system can and can't do and just tell us already.

Oskuro

Nov 18, 2009
Double irony: Videogame companies are the ones imposing Orwellian surveillance mechanism, and it's Germany's government who is rushing to stop them.

George Orwell must be scratching his head in his tomb.

Colt47

Oct 31, 2012
I'm liking Germany more and more: it's like I'm meeting a long lost relative!

Matthi205

Mar 8, 2012
SkarKrow said:
OT: Totally called the Germans being displeased. That said the thing doesn't have any features outside of the US, so nobody will buy it anyway. As for the privacy issues, thats part of why i wont be buying it.
Germany is more of a Playstation country anyway. Aren't that many people who even have XBoxes (or non-banned ones for that matter).

I knew this was going to happen sooner or later, I just didn't expect it to come BEFORE release. Let's see how soon this gets fought over in court.

I've got 2 things to say about the "MS is a big company, they've got nigh-endless funds and can't be beat in court" argument:
A) German law is an incredibly complicated jungle. MS being a US-based company, they'll also find the many laws protecting privacy to be an obstacle in this case (privacy is a basic human right pretected by the german constitution).
B) MS has already been beat in European courts. On top of that, some parts of the EU's government are onto devices with an "expiration date", so MS'll have to fight that, too.

EDIT:fixed the typos.

Oskuro: it isn't ironical, really. German politics as they are now have the sole orientation to be as little like the ones from during and before WWII, because of which we have this orientation.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
SkarKrow said:
tmande2nd said:
snip
Silly fools, why use those when you can use this!

Albeit you need a Norse god or an alien to wield it, but once that sucker is off, it is off for good!

OT: The EU really should just install a revolving door when it comes to MS because they always make these global decisions and somehow forget that Europe exists.