Stealth Platformer Gunpoint Gets a Release Date

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
Stealth Platformer Gunpoint Gets a Release Date

An upcoming game of spies, puzzles, and hacking can now be preordered through Steam and the Humble Store.

Stealth games have never exactly been my strong suit. I tend to get a little impatient when hiding from guards, and often find myself fleeing from mobs I'd never expected to trigger. That said, I am fascinated by the mechanics behind stealth games, especially ones that let me do something from cover other than waiting. The upcoming Gunpoint could be one such example, challenging players to sneak past deadly obstacles, and hack through those they can't. If the concept sounds interesting, you'll also be happy to hear that Gunpoint launches on June 3rd, with preorders now available on both Steam and the Humble Store.

Gunpoint puts players in the over-sized trenchcoat of a freelance spy hired to steal sensitive information. You'll be provided with a range of high-tech gadgetry to complete your objectives, the most important being your handy Crosslink. This devices lets players view and alter the connections between electrical devices scattered across each level. For example, one could create a connection between a nearby light switch to a trap door, opening access to a new area while dispatching out-of-reach enemies. Gunpoint also allows players to climb walls, survive falls from most heights, and even advance the story by lying to clients.

To sweeten the pot, creator Suspicious Developments is offering three digital editions. A standard purchase provides the game itself, while the special edition includes a soundtrack and developer commentary. If you're really interested in bonus material however, you'll want an Exclusive Edition that features additional music tracks, 9 scrapped Gunpoint prototypes, a 40-minute behind-the-scenes video, and access to upcoming Suspicious Developments' beta games. Preorders are discounted on both digital platforms, although the Humble Store version does include Steam keys and DRM-free versions.

Long-time readers may have noticed that Gunpoint bears some resemblance <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/content/games/yahtzee/artoftheft>to another stealth game from this very site, but the featured mechanics sound unique enough to take gameplay in a new direction. Regardless, I'm looking forward to trying my hand at stealth once again, even if I'm frequently driven outside by those wandering guards.

Source: Joystiq

Toilet

Feb 22, 2012
Played the beta version this and it is so good, just the right amount of puzzling, action and stealth all rolled into one.

I am going to buy this so hard.

VoidWanderer

Sep 17, 2011
Yay something to scratch my 'I want to play Watch Dogs itch'. I think this will scratch that extremely well

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Played the demo and it's actually really fun. Fairly funny too, they added in some new dialogue about how your "start mission" button is gone and replaced with a "buy game" button.
Shit's good.

C117

Aug 14, 2009
I've had my eyes on this game for quite some time now, and it is good to hear that it is finally getting a release date.

Preordering now...

Fordo

Oct 17, 2007
immediately thought of Trilby. The world could definitely use more games like this though so best of luck!

AlwaysPractical

Oct 7, 2011
Signed up for the beta, never got a chance to participate. I saw TB's video on it and loved it, seriously looking forward to it.

TheNaut131

Jul 6, 2011
I just finished it.

This game. This fucking game.

There's no better feeling in the world than tackling a guy out a window, colliding with the ground, getting back up, and doing it AGAIN

Also, the goddamn hacking and the fun take downs. Turning off lights, tricking guards with elevators, setting traps, divebombing a guard from above a door frame and smashing his face in? Priceless.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
Yeah, I'm pretty sure Trilby couldn't leap into a second story plate glass window from the ground.