Book Of Tyrael Expands Diablo III's Lore Even Further

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Book Of Tyrael Expands Diablo III's Lore Even Further

Blizzard Entertainment is joining forces with Insight Editions to deliver another book focused on the backstory of Diablo III, the upcoming Book of Tyrael.

Despite its noisome detractors, the Diablo franchise is now solidly one of gaming's most revered. When a developer can all but guarantee 5 million units sold within the first few weeks, you know they have a massive hit on their hands, and that's apparently the point at which gaming firms opt to merchandise the stuffing out of whichever property the public has momentarily glommed onto.

Thus, Blizzard Entertainment has joined forces with publisher Insight Editions to bring you the upcoming Diablo III: Book of Tyrael. Hardcore fans of the series may recall that a giant tome dubbed Diablo III: Book of Cain hit shelves shortly prior to the debut of Diablo III, and featured an in-depth look at the fiction behind the game from the viewpoint of series mainstay Deckard Cain. The Book of Tyrael is a similarly weighty tome, but it focuses on the archangel Tyrael, and offers players an insider's look at the world of Sanctuary from his glowing, winged point of view.

Officially, the book is described thusly:

Diablo III: Book of Tyrael takes players even further into the universe with a detailed and beautifully crafted book of lore as seen through the eyes of Tyrael. As a former archangel of the High Heavens, Tyrael ranks among the most important and influential characters in the Diablo franchise. Here, in this illustrated and comprehensive tome, he reveals never-before-known secrets about the history of the world, the dark threats that yet face mankind, and his decision to join the ranks of humanity as a mortal. In Tyrael's own words, "Forevermore we shall stand together, angels and men, in the light of this glorious new dawn."

While this insight into the backstory of Diablo III is very welcome, at least half the draw of the Book of Cain was in its gorgeous illustrations, the sort of images you only find in concept artwork, except more fully fleshed out and featuring a greater degree of detail. The Book of Tyrael continues this tradition, and is described as featuring "stunning original art throughout."

The 148-page book is currently slated to hit store shelves on October 1, 2013. As of now the only version of the book planned is a hardcover edition which will be priced at $40.

VoidWanderer

Sep 17, 2011
Having played and finished Diablo 3 once, and having read the Book of Cain, I can honestly say I enjoy the lore of this universe much more than that game. I will probably buy this book, and that may get me interested in Diablo 3 again...

newwiseman

Aug 27, 2010
After looking at the Book of Cain, and then playing Diablo 3, I can say I'm much more interested in the lore than the game. It'd make an epic manga or depending on the studio an amazing anime.

SweetShark

Shark Girls are my Waifus
Jan 9, 2012
VoidWanderer said:
Having played and finished Diablo 3 once, and having read the Book of Cain, I can honestly say I enjoy the lore of this universe much more than that game. I will probably buy this book, and that may get me interested in Diablo 3 again...
This.
I expected MUCH more in the game.
Even if the game was fan to play [I played Monk and Witch Doctor], the whole story of the game is "out of reach" of the great details and story elements the book have to offer.

I hope in the new book Tyrael give a better reason for the weak "plot twist" of the game.....

Leah was the child of Diablo all along and Diablo took her body.......come on Blizzard.....THIS WAS SO OBVIOUS BY ONLY LOOKING AT THE NEW FORM OF DIABLO GOD DAMMIT!!!!!!! I hope Tyrael give better reasons to believe to this "weakness" of the game....

zinho73

Feb 3, 2011
The story on Diablo 3 was its weakest part (yes, even worse than itemization). But I agree that there are elements that could lead to something interesting.

rant/ Also, is it me or Escapist is always kind of advocating in favor of the game, forcing the issue that the game is a success?

Yes, it sold a ton of units and has great animations, but it is borderline amateurish in story and itemization. Even Blizzard knows they blew on this one, incessantly patching the game and pulling the auction house and always online "features" from consoles.

Diablo 3 is clearly standing in the shoulder of their predecessors.

Several great games have found commercial success and critical acclaim despite receiving harsh criticisms from a bunch of more demanding fans: Dragon Age 2, Mass Effect 3, SimCity and Diablo3. I would argue that they were good games but not great and certainly not on par with their predecessors and I'm get tired of journalism fanboysm... "See? I told you the game is great! It sells tons!"./ end rant

SweetShark

Jan 9, 2012
newwiseman said:
After looking at the Book of Cain, and then playing Diablo 3, I can say I'm much more interested in the lore than the game. It'd make an epic manga or depending on the studio an amazing anime.
NNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! No a manga!!!!!
I don't want to see Diablo like this:

http://media.desura.com/images/groups/1/6/5666/ddbdc71c40769bdd48ea2daa12ab3c9a.png

Ops! Sorry, wrong picture.

http://numerik.blogspirit.com/media/00/02/356448290.jpg

Oh wait......

Is cool, it is just a special animation telling a story of angel fighting demons, plus Diablo.

newwiseman

Aug 27, 2010
SweetShark said:
newwiseman said:

http://media.desura.com/images/groups/1/6/5666/ddbdc71c40769bdd48ea2daa12ab3c9a.png

Oh wait......

Is cool, it is just a special animation telling a story of angel fighting demons, plus Diablo.
But imagine if it was illustrated by someone like Kentaro Miura of Berserk fame.

[img src="http://i39.mangareader.net/berserk/22/berserk-28419.jpg"/]

The artist makes all the difference. Have to say Diablo's conquest of Equestria does sound like a great MLP spinoff...

SweetShark

Jan 9, 2012
newwiseman said:
SweetShark said:
newwiseman said:

Oh wait......

But imagine if it was illustrated by someone like Kentaro Miura of Berserk fame.

[img src="http://i39.mangareader.net/berserk/22/berserk-28419.jpg"/]

The artist makes all the difference. Have to say Diablo's conquest of Equestria does sound like a great MLP spinoff...
Yes indeed.
It is like when Twilight Sparkle went inside a portal and became humans.
The same happened with Diablo when he decided to pay a visit to Equestria.

Also it would be really interesting to see Diablo in the style of Berserk too.

Gray Firion

Mar 5, 2012
Ugh...

I like Blizzard's storytelling. No really, I do. Kinda slow and filled with a bit of idiocy at times (here's looking at you Medivh, you're the worst Mad Prophet ever because you weren't mad, but you ACTED as if you WERE, prompting everyone to not believe you and dooming the Nation you set out to save in the first place, you stupid little- Oh, so yeah, stuff like that), but most of the books they release are very very good stories.

Which always had me question...

...hmm, how should I put this...

WHY. AREN'T. THESE. STORIES. IN. THE. GAMES??!

Seriously! They're very good and Blizzard's games at the moment are a MOBA, a mission oriented RTS with incredible Map Editing tools, a Dungeon Crawler and the most successful subscription-based MMORPG of all time! Perfect titles to show narrative, and yet, they keep a lot of good stories (arguably the best of a given Game-verse in some cases) out of their Games! I borrowed a few books to see if the extra tidbits of story were at least entertaining. At least?! In some cases the game's story builds on stuff from the BOOKS!

Maybe I'm making a storm on a glass of water... it's just, books don't come out here before the games do and if I order from another country it gets that much more expensive. I'd like to follow the stories of the games I buy, and over time, I stopped being able to do that with Blizzard.

...Kinda mad when I see them doing it again, sorry. =(