Zombie Apocalypse Title Asks You To Craft Your Way To Survival

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
Zombie Apocalypse Title Asks You To Craft Your Way To Survival

7 Days To Die is looking a bit pre-alpha at the moment, but the possibilities are intriguing.

Zombie apocalypse title 7 Days To Die's first trailer - chock full of pre-alpha footage, mind you - offers up some intriguing possibilities; imagine what it'd be like to defend that house, day in, day out. You're scavenging through the ruins of a nuclear-war torn Arizona one minute, digging punji pits and hammering boards the next, because come nightfall, they hunt you. Better be ready!

Developers The Fun Pimps are putting together a massive, fully destructible world for your terrified survivor to scrabble around in. You can build your own defences of course, but be warned, the physics engine will punish you if what you put up isn't structurally sound. That rumbling noise could be the roof about to cave in on your luckless head. Or your could just blow it up yourself, if you're the sort that likes playing pyromaniac. But the big attraction here is the crafting system, in which you'll create "hundreds of weapons, items and traps," say the Fun Pimps. To get materials you'll be mining, looting, and hoping all the while nothing shows up to munch on your unfortunate behind. Gameplay can be solo, co-op, or something called "zombie nomad," which presumably has you wandering through a pastoral wonderland, patting fluffy bunnies on the head. Or possibly not.

If this is the sort of thing that intrigues you, head over here [http://7daystodie.com/] for a closer look. It's very early days yet, but this could be something to sink your teeth into.

Source: PC Gamer [http://www.pcgamer.com/2013/05/29/7-days-to-die-adds-crafting-and-voxels-to-your-post-apocalypse/]

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
It looks and seems to play an awful lot like Minecraft. Not that, that is a bad thing, just that I wonder if the game grew from a Minecraft mod that got too big for its original confines.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
So it's a Minecraft zombie game? This actually looks quite interesting, I kinda like this concept.

piinyouri

Mar 18, 2012
Oh wow, people weren't just abusing the usual hyperbole, this really does look very similar to MC.

Unfortunately I'll have to pass. I'm sick to death of zombies and MC does MC better than anyone else.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
I very much like the idea behind it, there aren't any proper zombie survival games out there, and this could fill that niche. Although I don't particularly like the mix between minecraft and "realistic" visual design. It has the blockiness of minecraft, but the zombies and human character don't really blend in well.

I'd prefer it if you didn't get to build full houses, but instead got a randomly generated world where you get buildings, but can choose to install defences and traps. This seems a little too much like minecraft.

I am also concerned that it will be in alpha by July, but released in Fall (according to the website). Can they really get the game up to scratch that quickly?

I like zombie games, but I am kind of tired of the sheer amount of bad ones.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
Did this just check of the list of the most completely overused mechanics in the indie scene and jam them into a game?
Crafting/survival games are not going to get a shot in the arm by putting zombies in it. Zombies are done. They're not interesting anymore, stop using them.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
An FPS minecraft with what appears to be a legitimate threat. It's really what I've always wanted...

Farther than stars

Jun 19, 2011
So... it's 'Day Z' without getting killed by fellow players every 5 minutes? That alone would make it worth buying. But also: 'Minecraft'. So I would say that this is one to watch.

The_Darkness

Nov 8, 2010
Took me a little while to recognise it, but I swear that's a mildly remixed version of John Murphy's "In the House, In a Heartbeat" [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSYYEDXaGo0] - otherwise known as the 28 Days Later theme. So... is there a mild copyright infringement going on here, or did they get permission? Especially when combined with the minecraft-esque set up...

Ickabod

May 29, 2008
That looks like a fun Minecraft clone that adds some extra stuff to it. Looks like fun.

Farther than stars

Jun 19, 2011
AC10 said:
Did this just check of the list of the most completely overused mechanics in the indie scene and jam them into a game?
Crafting/survival games are not going to get a shot in the arm by putting zombies in it. Zombies are done. They're not interesting anymore, stop using them.
Speak for yourself. Nobody goes ripping on your niche. There are people who are genuinely excited about this game, i.e.

wombat_of_war said:
that actually looks really interesting. ive got dead state which im patiently waiting for but another game of survival with zombies looks interesting
and

Lightknight said:
An FPS minecraft with what appears to be a legitimate threat. It's really what I've always wanted...

AgedGrunt

Dec 7, 2011
Zombie, shmombie. Don't put enemies in a game, make it all about crafting and developers will still make a boring, grind of an item/crafting system. No, managing hundreds of items and gathering hundreds of quantities of materials for combining, "plopping" and/or pushing wheelbarrows of overburdening junk to a special spot that poops out an item for you is not fun or interesting to me when I could be wasting my time with actual entertainment.

I get why Minecraft is so popular, it's all about freedom and intrigue, and this game captures a lot of that and defines itself with a mission. That's about all it has going for it, in my opinion; the actual creation process is still an insipid joke.

HorrendusOne

Mar 29, 2011
Can never have enough Survival games (not many good ones come out, mods don't count), can never have enough zombies to kill. (Rule of Thumb)

Matt Gleason

Jan 7, 2013
DVS BSTrD said:
7 Days To Die, I don't know why, but that name has a nice Ring to it.
Wish they had a better narrator voice though.
Yeah, one that knows how to pronounce "nuclear".