Civilization V Shows How Trade May Save Your Empire

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
Civilization V Shows How Trade May Save Your Empire

Keep those camels rolling, rolling, rolling, rawhiiiide!

Civilization V: A Brave New World has revealed a few of the tricks up its metaphorical sleeve [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/interviews/10263-The-Culture-and-Diplomacy-of-Civ-V-Brave-New-World], and the latest reveal is this cunning Trade Routes trailer. Expand your empire through commerce, doing deals with city states and nations across the deep blue sea, but be warned: those trade routes can be vulnerable to attack, costing you plenty.

Camels and cargo ships are your two new units, which help you establish trade over land and sea routes. They don't just generate cash, but also help your cultural and tourism influence, which feeds nicely into that whole policies and ideologies [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/124321-Conquer-Civilizations-New-World-Through-Policies-And-Ideologies] thing Civilization V was pushing a short while back.

This one's due out July 2013, so there's a while yet to go before you can get those dromedaries rolling. Patience, glorious leader!

thesilentman

What this
Jun 14, 2012
In before Arty...

Argh. Is Civilization trying to kill my productivity? I've got game programming, writing, and drawing to do! D-:

I'll probably pick this up later on when it's cheap or something. Amazing how a game made me go "one more turn" in only a few weeks. =D

Eleuthera

Let slip the Guinea Pigs of war!
Sep 11, 2008
Karloff said:
Cvilization V
I believe you missed out an "i" there.

OT: Just let me finish setting up this trade route, oh, end get this tech... maybe wait for that great prophet so I can boost that trade a bit... whatdoyoumeanits5AM?!

IndomitableSam

Sep 6, 2011
I started playing Civ again a week or so ago, and they go and announce this? ... ... Boo. I guess I'll wait for it to go on sale, but I've always tried to avoid war in my games and this may help. Or hinder. Not sure which.

wulfgar_red

Mar 15, 2013
i hope that someday they will make DLC for Civ 5 "multiplayer now works"
can't play long games with my friends. game after few days, game synchronize saves every turn. and steam eats up 20% of my CPU (at least you can run it on oVPN to save that 20%)

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
I still haven't played Gods and Kings that I bought forever ago :(

The Artificially Prolonged

Random Semi-Frequent Poster
Jul 15, 2008
Coming out in mid July, where in happens I have already got time booked out. Hmmm I may need to find away to rationale spending all that time off playing Civ V... I mean I'll do that anyway but an excuse to back it up may be handy.

Looking forward to seeing how trade routes affect naval combat. It will certainly make it worth keeping a strong navy for more than just stomping the lone barbarian triremes that like to harass coastal cities.

thesilentman said:
In before Arty...

Argh. Is Civilization trying to kill my productivity? I've got game programming, writing, and drawing to do! D-:

I'll probably pick this up later on when it's cheap or something. Amazing how a game made me go "one more turn" in only a few weeks. =D
Hey no fair! Some of us have to work :p

AdmiralCheez

Nov 9, 2009
I really like the idea of trade routes, but from the video, it looks like they'll be cluttering up the game world. The caravans are full size units, and the routes are all giant arrows. I can see having too many trade routes making the world confusing to look at. I like how Galactic Civ II showed trade routes, by having the path a really thin line, and the actual freighters showed up really tiny, but still noticeable, once a trade route is established.

mirasiel

Jul 12, 2010
Oh so like the trade routes that were in Civ 2 then?

This isn't a new innovation ffs, it used to be a core mechanic :|

ace_of_something

Sep 19, 2008
I'm like 90% sure they had trade routes in one of the old civs. I could be wrong. Either way I remember it being an incredibly difficult way to win the game.

Still, I'm excited for brave new world.

2clueless

Clueless since 2003
Apr 11, 2012
mirasiel said:

I has been a LONG time since I've played Civ 2. But I believe the catch here is that your Caravans and Cargo Ships continue travelling back and forth between their assigned cities to maintain the route. Lose the unit, lose the trade route and whatever benefits it yielded for both cities.

Very excited for this, kind of in game limbo again while waiting for Brave New World. Have a couple other friends also looking forward to this expansion, should be a lot of fun.

Wolle

Jan 10, 2008
Caravans! My "caravans first" strategy in Civ 2 was way OP. It took me all the way to the second-highest level. Man, I remember lugging those dumb dromedaries all over the map for hours.

I'm sure it will be different this time.

mirasiel

Jul 12, 2010
2clueless said:
mirasiel said:

I has been a LONG time since I've played Civ 2. But I believe the catch here is that your Caravans and Cargo Ships continue travelling back and forth between their assigned cities to maintain the route. Lose the unit, lose the trade route and whatever benefits it yielded for both cities.

Very excited for this, kind of in game limbo again while waiting for Brave New World. Have a couple other friends also looking forward to this expansion, should be a lot of fun.
That is true but for the 5th iteration of the series and the 2nd expansion...it's just not really something to shout about as a new core feature, I'll probably still buy it but it feels like "why wasn't this already part of the game, why was it ever taken out?" .

Now if they put back in the oceanic and orbital colonisation from Call to Power, then i'll be impressed :)

Even though Civ2: test of time had multi layered maps back in the mid nineties :p