261: Zero Punctuation: Achieving the Cross-media Transformation of Ludological Hermeneutics

Max Steele

Dec 19, 2006
Zero Punctuation: Achieving the Cross-media Transformation of Ludological Hermeneutics

Remember those overly verbose criticisms that you were forced to read in college, written by intellectuals who used 10 cent words just because they could? Max Steele has taken that style and applied it to something that really matters: Yahtzee's Zero Punctuation reviews.

Read Full Article

Trikeen

Feb 17, 2009
That was mind bogglingly in depth and i think ill have to re-read it to properly comprehend half of it.

my_ledge_ends

Dec 26, 2008
I'll save you time, marioman - it's a joke article. He's basically saying that Yatzhee accuses Dragon Age of encouraging genocide while simultaneously critiquing the male ego as insecure and homophobic. It's a load of hogwash obfuscated by turgid dialogue intended to infuse the reading with a certain sense of highminded sophistication befitting the cultural descent into the ascending integration of highmindedness befitting the proper age we are now entering as demonstrated by said article (c wut i did thar?).

Knoxy

Aug 12, 2009
When I first started reading I literally face-palmed at the idea that this was a serious article.

Thank christ it turned out to be a joke.

coldfrog

Can you feel around inside?
Dec 22, 2008
Someone was reading this article [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/columns/publishers-note/7536-Publisher-Note-What-Grade-is-Your-Content-Comprehension].

ThreeKneeNick

Aug 4, 2009
Pro use of words to prove a point, if you write as eloquently as that, you can't possibly be wrong, and even if you were, or even if you were joking, proving it would be a mental marathon the thought of which makes my brain hurt. I need to go watch lolcats.

PS does ZP really have millions of viewers??

Lizardon

Robot in Disguise
Mar 22, 2010
Very good job sir. I hate those people who try to deconstruct everything to try and find the symbolism.

Jonluw

May 23, 2010
I had no idea ZP had all those underlying messages.

And did the writer of this article purposefully make it a hell for non-native english speakers?

blah_ducks

Dec 21, 2009
I'm sort of ashamed that I went to dictionary.com seven times just for a joke that I can't really laugh at since I've yet to go to collage. T~T

Although, it made me re-watch the Dragon Age: Origins review, and that one made me laugh a lot. :D

CitySquirrel

Jun 1, 2010
After the Rebecca Mayes video, I expect everyone to say he only invoked Yahtze's name in order to get page views.

This might be framed as a joke, but it is not entirely without merit. Deconstructing "to try and find the symbolism" is really just a way to look at peoples underlying assumptions.

Marmooset

Mar 29, 2010
my_ledge_ends said:
I'll save you time, marioman - it's a joke article. He's basically saying that Yatzhee accuses Dragon Age of encouraging genocide while simultaneously critiquing the male ego as insecure and homophobic. It's a load of hogwash obfuscated by turgid dialogue intended to infuse the reading with a certain sense of highminded sophistication befitting the cultural descent into the ascending integration of highmindedness befitting the proper age we are now entering as demonstrated by said article (c wut i did thar?).
Sorta.
But you do have the Peter Gabriel melty face avatar, so you're aces in my book!

"I don't remember..."

Virgil

#virgil { display:none; }
Legacy
Jun 13, 2002
Jonluw said:
And did the writer of this article purposefully make it a hell for non-native english speakers?
You can remove the non-native part and it's still accurate - you're in the same boat as the native speakers on this one :)

Evil the White

Apr 16, 2009
This sounds like something my old English teacher would pull out of her arse.

So, does he do it on purpose, or is it all inadvertantly lined up by nature? Or is this guy taking the mick? You decide.

my_ledge_ends

Dec 26, 2008
Marmooset said:
my_ledge_ends said:
Sorta.
But you do have the Peter Gabriel melty face avatar, so you're aces in my book!

"I don't remember..."
I don't recall those lyrics. I got no memory of anything at all relating to that song.

As for the picture, I got no means to show my identification, no papers to show you what I am. I figured, "Hey, i don't give a damn."

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
Extremely in depth there, lots of big words. I usually just watch ZP for the laugh, never try to think in detail about all the hidden messages really.