261: Zero Punctuation: Achieving the Cross-media Transformation of Ludological Hermeneutics

Max Steele

Dec 19, 2006
Zero Punctuation: Achieving the Cross-media Transformation of Ludological Hermeneutics

Remember those overly verbose criticisms that you were forced to read in college, written by intellectuals who used 10 cent words just because they could? Max Steele has taken that style and applied it to something that really matters: Yahtzee's Zero Punctuation reviews.

Read Full Article

Trikeen

Feb 17, 2009
That was mind bogglingly in depth and i think ill have to re-read it to properly comprehend half of it.

my_ledge_ends

Dec 26, 2008
I'll save you time, marioman - it's a joke article. He's basically saying that Yatzhee accuses Dragon Age of encouraging genocide while simultaneously critiquing the male ego as insecure and homophobic. It's a load of hogwash obfuscated by turgid dialogue intended to infuse the reading with a certain sense of highminded sophistication befitting the cultural descent into the ascending integration of highmindedness befitting the proper age we are now entering as demonstrated by said article (c wut i did thar?).

Knoxy

Aug 12, 2009
When I first started reading I literally face-palmed at the idea that this was a serious article.

Thank christ it turned out to be a joke.

coldfrog

Can you feel around inside?
Dec 22, 2008
Someone was reading this article [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/columns/publishers-note/7536-Publisher-Note-What-Grade-is-Your-Content-Comprehension].

ThreeKneeNick

Aug 4, 2009
Pro use of words to prove a point, if you write as eloquently as that, you can't possibly be wrong, and even if you were, or even if you were joking, proving it would be a mental marathon the thought of which makes my brain hurt. I need to go watch lolcats.

PS does ZP really have millions of viewers??

Lizardon

Robot in Disguise
Mar 22, 2010
Very good job sir. I hate those people who try to deconstruct everything to try and find the symbolism.

Jonluw

May 23, 2010
I had no idea ZP had all those underlying messages.

And did the writer of this article purposefully make it a hell for non-native english speakers?

blah_ducks

Dec 21, 2009
I'm sort of ashamed that I went to dictionary.com seven times just for a joke that I can't really laugh at since I've yet to go to collage. T~T

Although, it made me re-watch the Dragon Age: Origins review, and that one made me laugh a lot. :D

CitySquirrel

Jun 1, 2010
After the Rebecca Mayes video, I expect everyone to say he only invoked Yahtze's name in order to get page views.

This might be framed as a joke, but it is not entirely without merit. Deconstructing "to try and find the symbolism" is really just a way to look at peoples underlying assumptions.

Marmooset

Mar 29, 2010
my_ledge_ends said:
I'll save you time, marioman - it's a joke article. He's basically saying that Yatzhee accuses Dragon Age of encouraging genocide while simultaneously critiquing the male ego as insecure and homophobic. It's a load of hogwash obfuscated by turgid dialogue intended to infuse the reading with a certain sense of highminded sophistication befitting the cultural descent into the ascending integration of highmindedness befitting the proper age we are now entering as demonstrated by said article (c wut i did thar?).
Sorta.
But you do have the Peter Gabriel melty face avatar, so you're aces in my book!

"I don't remember..."

Virgil

#virgil { display:none; }
Legacy
Nov 17, 2020
Jonluw said:
And did the writer of this article purposefully make it a hell for non-native english speakers?
You can remove the non-native part and it's still accurate - you're in the same boat as the native speakers on this one :)

Evil the White

Apr 16, 2009
This sounds like something my old English teacher would pull out of her arse.

So, does he do it on purpose, or is it all inadvertantly lined up by nature? Or is this guy taking the mick? You decide.

my_ledge_ends

Dec 26, 2008
Marmooset said:
my_ledge_ends said:
Sorta.
But you do have the Peter Gabriel melty face avatar, so you're aces in my book!

"I don't remember..."
I don't recall those lyrics. I got no memory of anything at all relating to that song.

As for the picture, I got no means to show my identification, no papers to show you what I am. I figured, "Hey, i don't give a damn."

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
Extremely in depth there, lots of big words. I usually just watch ZP for the laugh, never try to think in detail about all the hidden messages really.

SilverUchiha

Dec 25, 2008
Lizardon said:
Very good job sir. I hate those people who try to deconstruct everything to try and find the symbolism.
Agreed. In most cases, it takes the enjoyment out of whatever they're over-analyzing.

MysticnFm

Jul 8, 2009
...Wait, what?

This article recieves my highest level of approval for managing to utterly perplex so many people.

Varewulf

Nosgoth Fanboy
Oct 22, 2009
Considering it says that Max Steele got his PhD from Miskatonic University, I suspect it's a pseudonym. Maybe Yahtzee himself trying to avoid being murdered by Rebecca Mayes by claiming he's actually a feminist, hmmm? ;)

However, it does all make a sort of sense that I wouldn't put entirely beyond mr Croshaw to actually have been trying to put in some devious potshots at his audience. He's a clever bastard. :p

SonicWaffle

Oct 14, 2009
Urgh. The sad part is that it can't be that long before some numpty tries to do this in a serious fashion.

Nice job calling him out the constant theme of serious pretentiousness in the videos, though :p

Marmooset

Mar 29, 2010
my_ledge_ends said:
I don't recall those lyrics. I got no memory of anything at all relating to that song.

As for the picture, I got no means to show my identification, no papers to show you what I am. I figured, "Hey, i don't give a damn."
Hey, stop staring at me like a bird of prey!

my_ledge_ends

Dec 26, 2008
Marmooset said:
my_ledge_ends said:

Hey, stop staring at me like a bird of prey!
Your language is strange. Look, I don't have a decoder, why don't you make your intention clear? Tell me the truth, you've got nothing to fear.

Knoxy

Aug 12, 2009
Evil the White said:
This sounds like something my old English teacher would pull out of her arse.

So, does he do it on purpose, or is it all inadvertantly lined up by nature? Or is this guy taking the mick? You decide.
Given that this is printed at the top of the page:
Remember those overly verbose criticisms that you were forced to read in college, written by intellectuals who used 10 cent words just because they could? Max Steele has taken that style and applied it to something that really matters: Yahtzee's Zero Punctuation reviews.
I'd say he's taking the mick.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Well, that was something to make me chuckle on my lunch break...

all I can say is, good show XD

someonehairy-ish

Mar 15, 2009
Well I managed to understand most of that... but at what cost? I think it killed off a few brain cells. Damn you, Max Steele.

BlueHighwind

Jan 24, 2010
As Calvin of "Calvin and Hobbes" once said: "I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!"

http://www.cgu.edu/images/calvin-writing.gif

Sonicron

Do the buttwalk!
Mar 11, 2009
Dont't have a PhD (yet), but from a scientific viewpoint there's nothing wrong with this article. Of course, it still feels like a written joke, albeit a high-brow one. Fun! :)

I always thought it was 'a menstruating leper'. Oh well, both make sense in a way, I suppose.

Marmooset

Mar 29, 2010
my_ledge_ends said:
Your language is strange. Look, I don't have a decoder, why don't you make your intention clear? Tell me the truth, you've got nothing to fear.
Uh, you're not one of us?

(Wait- wrong song. Wrong album, even.

Damn damn damn damn DAMN damn...)

Max Steele

Dec 19, 2006
Very bracing, a truely powerfull peice of proto-metajournalism.

Now im off to stroke my beard. listen to jazz, wear a Fez and look REALLY thoughtfull.

Max Steele

Dec 19, 2006
For those who didn't 'get' the article, it's meant to be dense.

This is not a serious article.

It's a pardoy of over-intellectualising something that is not very intelectual i.e. a hat wearing angry sweary man who hates stuff. The language is meant to say very little but in very big overinfated words. I also detect a slight amount of self mockery of the escapist who tend to do very in depth analysis which can easily (but usually dosen't here at the Escapist, it's been very well done) stray into pointless chin stroking and posturing.

Samurai Goomba

Oct 7, 2008
That was painful. Another example of "just because you can doesn't mean you should." I didn't feel like spending the requisite time breaking the code of pretentiousness. Yeah, it's a joke. Maybe if I wasn't sick and looking at it didn't give me a headache I'd have found it funnier.

indiana_104

May 28, 2010
Oh, I feel really stupid.I thought he was just over-analyzing Yahtzee, not taking the piss out of over-intellectualization.

Why is it that I never, ever, get these things until I see other people's opinions?
I am so gullible...

But anyway, funny article once you see it from a different perspective.

SpaceCop

Feb 14, 2010
Sure it's funny, but only because there are people out there doing this kind of thing for real. Argghhh.

my_ledge_ends

Dec 26, 2008
Marmooset said:
my_ledge_ends said:
Uh, you're not one of us?

(Wait- wrong song. Wrong album, even.

Damn damn damn damn DAMN damn...)
I grieve for our secret world.

LightspeedJack

May 2, 2010
How could anyone not instantly know this is a joke? A pretty funny one, if albeit unneccesarily long.

Formica Archonis

Anonymous Source
Nov 13, 2009
Varewulf said:
Considering it says that Max Steele got his PhD from Miskatonic University, I suspect it's a pseudonym.
Hey, don't dis the Fighting Cephalopods, man! My alma mater could beat up your alma mater! (After driving it insane with alien geometries. And maybe eating it.)

RvLeshrac

This is a Forum Title.
Oct 2, 2008
blah_ducks said:
I'm sort of ashamed that I went to dictionary.com seven times just for a joke that I can't really laugh at since I've yet to go to collage. T~T

Although, it made me re-watch the Dragon Age: Origins review, and that one made me laugh a lot. :D
You should consider a college, instead. Much larger, and not usually so flimsy.

------------------------------------

I weep that society turns out people who *can't* understand this article, regardless of grade level. It was a joke.

Max Steele

Dec 19, 2006
I genuinely thought the article was being serious. I was about to slate it for over reaching and trying to find symbolism where there is none..... Then I found out it was a joke. LOL

It honestly didn't read like one. That's how most people de-construct work to find symbolism and rhetoric that simply isn't there.

Re-reading it I can laugh now.

butteforce

Mar 4, 2010
LightspeedJack said:
How could anyone not instantly know this is a joke? A pretty funny one, if albeit unneccesarily long.
Because, good sir, some people have the approximate density of a collapsed star whilst still possessing the ferocity of a robot built out of mountain lions.

I also had not ever seen the phrase "taking the mick" before. And thanks to the wonders of Internet, my suspicions of its meaning have been confirmed.

In reference to the article itself, I have a feeling I'm going to find myself talking like an asshole all day now.

GunboatDiplomat

Mar 23, 2009
Scrumpmonkey said:

It's a pardoy of over-intellectualising something that is not very intelectual i.e. a hat wearing angry sweary man who hates stuff. The language is meant to say very little but in very big overinfated words. I also detect a slight amount of self mockery of the escapist who tend to do very in depth analysis which can easily (but usually dosen't here at the Escapist, it's been very well done) stray into pointless chin stroking and posturing.
Yes but unfortunately the article is not very funny :(

GeoSnipe

Jun 13, 2009
Interesting read and puts a spin on the underlying messages that some people may think are there, or maybe Yahtzee just likes using sexual visualisation?

DeathWyrmNexus

Jan 5, 2008
BlueInkAlchemist said:
Max Steele should be living under a bridge handing out business cards.
That and did anybody else get the painful urge to say "No Fucking Duh Mr. BigWord Man."

Gotta love trolls. XD

ark123

Feb 19, 2009
Breaker deGodot said:
ark123 said:
GO GO THESAURUS GADGET
You got that a little backwards, methinks.
I'm supposedly quoting yahtzee

Edit - For humorous effect. It's not an actual quote. Neither do I think I'm professor gadget.

Max Steele

Dec 19, 2006
LightspeedJack said:
Because believe it or not people over analyse thing's like this for real. I find it hard to read sarcasm over the net. It doesn't matter that the context was completely ridiculous, or that he was being overly verbose for no apparent reason because people do write pointless tripe like this and mean every word of it.

Which I know is the joke itself. Taking the mick out of people who do that. But in my opinion the joke isn't really apparent. Just reads like another pseudo intellectual who thinks the world cares what symbolistic garbage he dragged out of a piece of joke media.

Egitor

Jan 28, 2010
Loved the article, had such a silly grin on my face that the three other people in the apartment all came up to me to check what I was reading ^^

ark123

Feb 19, 2009
ssgt splatter said:
One paragraph in and I'm already bored. Too many big words.
Really, you're just going to offer up that post so maybe you'll get quoted in Extra Punctuation? DANCE, MONKEY, DANCE!

ssgt splatter

Oct 8, 2008
ark123 said:
ssgt splatter said:
One paragraph in and I'm already bored. Too many big words.
Really, you're just going to offer up that post so maybe you'll get quoted in Extra Punctuation? DANCE, MONKEY, DANCE!
Well...that wasn't my intention but ok let's go with that.

Max Steele

Dec 19, 2006
God, I have to re-read it but it's certainly a joke article. Reminds me of that review that reviews games but still have to be released, he uttered out all these complex vocabulary words upon it's users, simply to baffle them and make them worship him as a new deity.

Amazing stuff, simply brilliant.

B2kCyclops

Apr 28, 2010
For the masses:
I though The Simpson were more famous.

For the intellectual and rhethorical elites:
Any individual that claims to be properly educated, whilst not being aware of Sokal...
no comment.

JeppeH

Nov 18, 2009
Those who take serious articles seriously and joke articles only for the laugh - they really missed the point altogether

AgentNein

Jun 14, 2008
Scrumpmonkey said:

This. I was about to say much of the same but I'm glad I read ahead to see if anyone else got to it first.

The ending of the article actually made me wake up my roommate with a loud laugh as I spit hot tea onto my computer screen. Good stuff.

With all of that said, I've never ever prescribed to the idea that there's a such thing as OVER analyzing anything. Then again I analyze the hell out of literally everything, it's in my nature.

ark123

Feb 19, 2009
He just wrote an article with a lot of unnecessary intellectualism so you guys would theorize on how this is funny.
But it's just not. When you have to explain the joke, you've failed as a comedian (Louis C.K.)

AgentNein

Jun 14, 2008
ark123 said:
He just wrote an article with a lot of unnecessary intellectualism so you guys would theorize on how this is funny.
But it's just not. When you have to explain the joke, you've failed as a comedian (Louis C.K.)
Judging by the fact that some of us actually got the joke without needing it explained (and enjoyed it), maybe the failure is on some of the audience?

gallaetha_matt

Feb 28, 2010
It was a funny article. I used to see stuff like this all the time in my English Lit classes. People overanalysing books and using a MS Thesaurus fed vocabulary to stuff their own ideas into it. I know because I used to do it myself.

This article gave me a good laugh - cheers!

Also Miskatonic University is a university that features heavily in H.P Lovecrafts stories. I don't know if it's a real university or not but I'm going to guess that it isn't.

JeppeH

Nov 18, 2009
ark123 said:
When you have to have the joke explained the joke was not meant for you.

Orange_Clockwork

Oct 29, 2009
I get the feeling that maybe some of these things could've just been said for the novelty of saying it. I mean... It feels a little too in depth, I should say.

7ru7h

Jul 8, 2009
While I can see how some of what he said makes sense (and surprisingly, I understood it on my first read through), you can't use a single example and extrapolate the symbolism you see in it and generalize an entire series with it.

And yes, I do get that it was a joke article, I'm just feeling quite academic for once, after reading an article without a single dick joke (of its own) and made my brain actually think.

Stackle

Dec 17, 2009
gallaetha_matt said:
It was a funny article. I used to see stuff like this all the time in my English Lit classes. People overanalysing books and using a MS Thesaurus fed vocabulary to stuff their own ideas into it. I know because I used to do it myself.

Also Miskatonic University is a university that features heavily in H.P Lovecrafts stories. I don't know if it's a real university or not but I'm going to guess that it isn't.
I'm fairly sure that it's not. I recognized the name instantly at the end of the article because I'd been playing Arkham Horror today.

Gildan Bladeborn

Aug 11, 2009
I have to say, I couldn't tell up until the very end if the author was actually analyzing Zero Punctuation for reals or as an elaborate joke, but that last sentence certainly dispels any doubt. As does the bit about earning a PhD at Miskatonic University, heh. It did make me wonder though how many people just gave up trying to read that in frustration - it's obvious the goal was obfuscation, perhaps driven by a subconscious delight the author derives from forcing prospective audience members to dig out a thesaurus to decipher his work, and while I find that somewhat amusing, I used to know a guy who actually talked like this.

There was no part of his demeanor that did not shout "Yes, I absolutely think I'm way the hell better than you because I needlessly complicate simple interactions like buying groceries just to demonstrate my vocabulary, you miserable plebeian". It was exactly as annoying as I'm making it sound; At least this article was a joke!

gallaetha_matt

Feb 28, 2010
Stackle said:
gallaetha_matt said:

I'm fairly sure that it's not. I recognized the name instantly at the end of the article because I'd been playing Arkham Horror today.
Yeah if it existed I would be already applying to attend the place. Sure you're likely to get carried off by walking corpses, or driven mad by a nameless horror from beyond - but you gotta die of something, right?

It's for this reason that I also want to visit Derry in Maine (probably not a real place either), but I'm getting off topic...

AgentNein

Jun 14, 2008
JeppeH said:
ark123 said:
Yup. I'm of the opinion that this was aimed squarely at those who've been reading the Escapist since it's early issues, because it hit home for me and made itself obvious almost immediately in what exactly it was parodying.

AgentNein

Jun 14, 2008
gallaetha_matt said:
Stackle said:
gallaetha_matt said:

Yeah if it existed I would be already applying to attend the place. Sure you're likely to get carried off by walking corpses, or driven mad by a nameless horror from beyond - but you gotta die of something, right?

It's for this reason that I also want to visit Derry in Maine (probably not a real place either), but I'm getting off topic...
Derry's a real place. And I never ever ever plan on going there. Fuckin' clowns, man. Seriously.

Virgil

#virgil { display:none; }
Legacy
Nov 17, 2020
I found the analysis to be both compelling and cinematic. Truly a work of art. Well done, sir!

Jorias

Dec 10, 2008
I had to use the dictionary like 15 times. This article was hilarous, i had a mental picture of Yahtzee reveiwing Dragon Age: Origins in person, but with a narrator deconstructing his critisim then bashing on his ego for it lol.

ceolstan

Feb 10, 2009
Heh, I understood all the words without having to look them up in the dictionary, which in my case is the Oxford English Dictionary (unabridged), which I own and which is in a place of pride. I also understood the joke.

I remember reading Sokol when his article first came out. Well played!

Hoplon

Jabbering Fool
Mar 31, 2010
I hate you Max, in a very real and meaningful sense.

Funny though :D

SPARTANXIII

Nov 24, 2009
It could be that, or it could be the more obvious fact that he is just Dead to right's:Really

Really
Really
Really
Really
Really
Really
Really funny!

LightspeedJack

May 2, 2010
dathwampeer said:
LightspeedJack said:
Because believe it or not people over analyse thing's like this for real. I find it hard to read sarcasm over the net. It doesn't matter that the context was completely ridiculous, or that he was being overly verbose for no apparent reason because people do write pointless tripe like this and mean every word of it.

Which I know is the joke itself. Taking the mick out of people who do that. But in my opinion the joke isn't really apparent. Just reads like another pseudo intellectual who thinks the world cares what symbolistic garbage he dragged out of a piece of joke media.
Actually I will admit if I didn't know Yahtzee so well I probably wouldn't have figured out it was a joke so quickly, people actually do write like this sometimes!

Booze Zombie

Dec 8, 2007
Wow, that is some article.
I got that it is a giant joke about over-analysing, though.

Anyway...

I do wonder if Yahtzee or indeed any human contemplates their actions in the same way this article is worded? I had always gotten the impression Yahtzee was a "hmm, yeah, this'll work" type of fellow.

E.g: "Okay, pad the joke out over the episode, then they'll only be mildly insulted. That'll work!"

gallaetha_matt

Feb 28, 2010
AgentNein said:
gallaetha_matt said:
Stackle said:
gallaetha_matt said:

Derry's a real place. And I never ever ever plan on going there. Fuckin' clowns, man. Seriously.
As the Derry tourism board says...

Derry - You'll float down here, too.

Max Steele

Dec 19, 2006
Wholy fucking shit.

I have a weird feeling that the whole article has been meant as a joke, but apparently the sort of jokes Harvard students use and nobody else understands.

Either that or the article is huge pile of bullcrap and the author doesn't understand the meaning of dick jokes.

Or maybe it's just hardcore British humor.

Either way, I just don't know. Someone enlighten me. Is this meant to be serious?

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
...I am very disappointed that I didn't just rewatch the ZP of Dragon Age instead of reading this. Quality gag (asuming it really was meant to be one), but the actual video is funnier.

Eclectic Dreck

Sep 3, 2008
Jonluw said:

I'd say there are rhetorical devices in play (obviously) but like many a dissertation by frustrated English students I feel that this particular explanation desperately digs for hidden meaning where none is found. I also get the distinct impression that this article was written a a joke.

Jonluw

May 23, 2010
Eclectic Dreck said:
Jonluw said:

I'd say there are rhetorical devices in play (obviously) but like many a dissertation by frustrated English students I feel that this particular explanation desperately digs for hidden meaning where none is found. I also get the distinct impression that this article was written a a joke.
I know, I understood that the article was a joke upon reading the comments.

Initially, when he mentioned that whole "political situation, nazi" thing, I thought that there was no way Yahtzee would be putting that kind of underlying messages into his videos, and that the writer was just over-analyzing. Then I opened up to the possibility that I was just stupid not to have noticed it, and that there was a whole other level to ZP that I had been ignorant towards.

Then, upon reading the comments, I understood that the article was a parody on over-analyzing. I will blame my apparent obtusity on the fact that I have not been to college yet, and am therefore not very familiar with that kind of over-analyzing. When reading it, I attributed the unnecessarily difficult wording to the fact that he wrote about Zero Punctuation, a show known for the "presenter" talking so fast people often have to rewind in order to hear it all.

Carnagath

Apr 18, 2009
That...is not the kind of humour I expected to find on the Escapist. It's also hard to appreciate when you a) have no idea who the hell the writer is and b) what incited him to write this. Perhaps it could be explained if we assume that this is Yahtzee trolling Rebecca Mayes and her "accusations" of sexism in his reviews. Otherwise... nope, nothing else comes to mind, sorry. A lovingly crafted inside joke? Probably. Anyway...let's move on.

Shamanic Rhythm

Dec 6, 2009
Lizardon said:
As someone who practically does this for a living, I'd like it on record that we're not all over-analysing wankers who use pretentious verbosity to sound unnecessarily intellectual and thus distract the audience from the fact that the point being made is about as tenuous as they come. When you meet a really intelligent academic who doesn't speak in postmodernist garble, it's actually really inspiring to learn what writers may have been attempting to convey on a subconscious level. That's why I stuck with it.

the1ultimate

Apr 7, 2009
Juxtaposition and Cognitive dissonance are powerful tools, and I found the first half of the review instructive, however the second half attempted to construe Zero Punctuation as critique which was desperately applied Freudian Psychology thoughtlessly to all games, thus removing it from any context it might have appealed to, even were it quite as applicable to things designed by an organisation and not merely taken from the mind of an individual.

That said, this review aptly presented many of the antics employed by Zero Punctuation. However many Zero Punctuation fans may feel that the jokes suffer from their explanation, and there is only so much one can read into blatant sexual innuendo, swearing and crude drawings.

tkioz

Fussy Fiddler
May 7, 2009
My brain hurts and I'm having flash backs to the year I did philosophy...

Zenron

The Laughing Shadow
May 11, 2010
I read the first paragraph and really couldn't muster the effort to read anymore, so I came here, and I'm pretty glad to find out it was a joke. I remember someone doing the exact same thing on a forum in an attempt to sound smart, only in that case, it didn't actually make any sense...

unoleian

Jul 2, 2008
Well, that was a downright dense and largely pretentious article. I love it! I think I'll have to go read that once more...and make sure I got all that right the first time...

ed- What makes that really funny, it reads almost identically to any "in-depth" artist crtique or gallery review I've ever read. If you word something densely and obscurely enough, it sounds transcendently intelligent and revolutionary no matter how many times you slice it.

rileyrulesu

Jun 15, 2009
ugh, where did this person learn to write? The transitions are so boring. (The first rhetorical approach..., The second rhetorical approach..., The third rhetorical approach...) Cmon, that's third grade stuff!.

Luke Cartner

May 6, 2010
CitySquirrel said:
After the Rebecca Mayes video, I expect everyone to say he only invoked Yahtze's name in order to get page views.

This might be framed as a joke, but it is not entirely without merit. Deconstructing "to try and find the symbolism" is really just a way to look at peoples underlying assumptions.
Except his article was far more amusing and far less baffling than Rebecaa Mayes video, which even Yahtzee (atleast this is the impression I got from his twitters and blog comments) didn't seem to understand.

Luke Cartner

May 6, 2010
rileyrulesu said:
ugh, where did this person learn to write? The transitions are so boring. (The first rhetorical approach..., The second rhetorical approach..., The third rhetorical approach...) Cmon, that's third grade stuff!.
I would say technical writing in university, the article reads like a technical document, which makes sense as that appeared to be the author's intention.

TheMadDoctorsCat

Apr 2, 2008
my_ledge_ends said:
I concur.

Although it does have a pleasant side-effect. ++INTELLIGENCE!

(That's "!" as in "exclamation", not as in "not".)

The Random One

May 29, 2008
Ha, great 'article'. Is Max Steele a real person? If so, he should have a showdown with Andrew Hussie [http://www.mspaintadventures.com/?s=6&p=003752] over the most nebulous text that is still readable. Or maybe just actually beat each other to death.

If he is a real person he should also get me a Miskatonic University hoodie.

It's too bad he didn't do this on the entire ZP body of work, who knows what we'd find once we analyze all that at once.

f1r2a3n4k5

Jun 30, 2008
This: http://www.mtholyoke.edu/acad/intrel/orwell46.htm. And even if it was a joke, it was less than humorous.

thenamelessloser

Jan 15, 2010
tautologico said:
The collaboration with Alan Sokal in the bio was a nice touch :)
I actually thought it was probably serious until I read the last part about working with Sokal... I actually rewatched the Dragon Age review and looked up Max Steele on wikipedia... though. lol =)

The only problem is that the article actually almost made sense.. It was a bit too coherent and the language wasn't actually used that poorly. The thesaurus wasn't used enough to come up with enough obscure language either I think. It was actually I think pretty well written for a joke article. But after all, some of the best satire makes some people think it may be serious (or be serious in intent) such as "A Modest Proposal."

Falseprophet

Jan 13, 2009
An effluent dissertation on the metafictional authoritarian Social Darwinist narrative present through much of the literary genre of epic fantasy, in the vein of Norman Spinrad [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Iron_Dream]. Indubitably, sirrah!

That was awesome, "Max Steele".

sunpop

Oct 23, 2008
I hope the giggle gotten from making this article was worth killing off half the readers by way of head explosion from the first paragraph.

ark123

Feb 19, 2009
JeppeH said:
ark123 said:
By that reasoning everything is always funny. I mean, you haven't asked every person on earth, right?
When a joke isn't funny, the comedian misjudged his crowd.
A few sycophants will grin and say "HEHEHE BIG WORDS, HURRRRR", but most people won't bother reading it, and the ones that do will find it's void of Teh Funneh.

ark123

Feb 19, 2009
The Random One said:
Ha, great 'article'. Is Max Steele a real person? If so, he should have a showdown with Andrew Hussie [http://www.mspaintadventures.com/?s=6&p=003752] over the most nebulous text that is still readable. Or maybe just actually beat each other to death.

If he is a real person he should also get me a Miskatonic University hoodie.

It's too bad he didn't do this on the entire ZP body of work, who knows what we'd find once we analyze all that at once.
You, sir, get an Internet for referencing Miskatonic University.

JPH330

Blogger Person
Jan 31, 2010
I spotted a lot of 'SAT words' I had to learn last year. All in all it looks like something I would have written in 30 minutes for the AP exam.

Pseudo-intellectual FTW!

Max Steele

Dec 19, 2006
I would like to read this but.. I just can't be fucked. Never written this before but:

TL;DR

Zombus

Apr 29, 2009
It appeals to my high-minded idealism whilst simultaneously stimulating my elevated mental capacities, insofar as they are able to be stimulated, and led to mine ultimate reaction of mirth, to whit; contemplating the obfuscation the articulate article would impose upon lay-men, ne'er-do-wells, and other ignominous miscreants who aught bestow recompense for their enormities and plethora of other attrocities of ignorance that they propagate all too regularily.

~or~

I lol'd.

PlasticTree

May 17, 2009
An original perspective, and well executed, but not funny enough for a whole article. I understand this sounds fun on paper (no pun intended), but personally I just read the first paragraph, got the joke, and skimmed through the rest of the article to check if you'd try something else after a few hundred words.

I won't mind a 'gimmick-article' like this if it doesn't happen too often, but I still feel a bit like someone stole my 4th article, this week.

Hmm, after previewing this post I realise that I sound a lot like someone who doesn't enjoy living anymore. Maybe I should start making videoreviews with a yellow background? ;)

JeppeH

Nov 18, 2009
ark123 said:
JeppeH said:
ark123 said:
By that reasoning everything is always funny. I mean, you haven't asked every person on earth, right?
When a joke isn't funny, the comedian misjudged his crowd.
A few sycophants will grin and say "HEHEHE BIG WORDS, HURRRRR", but most people won't bother reading it, and the ones that do will find it's void of Teh Funneh.
To quote one of my favorite poets 'those who only take seriously in earnest and jest for jest understand both equally bad' (Piet Hein; translated from danish - hope it makes sense)

And I read it all and found it funny. And I can see others in this thread who likewise found it funny.
Your conclusion that everything is thus funny may actually be correct (I believe it is) seen in the right perspective.

If you can't laugh about the absurdities and tragedies in life I feel a slight pinch sorry for you.

Gunner 51

Jun 21, 2009
I didn't need all this first thing in the morning. Though I get the impression the obscure wording put in there for the sake of it did make the writer look a tad pretentious. (Either that, or he was gunning for an A+ from his college professor.)

Giest4life

The Saucepan Man
Feb 13, 2010
Half way through this I realized that I was being trolled.Good one, you Escapist bastards.

Max Steele

Dec 19, 2006
While I'm not trying to rail against the apparent hatred for university level writing that seems to be building in this thread, this article is actually an interesting outlook on an actual problem within the gaming community. Regardless of whether it is a joke or not, whoever wrote it did actually seriously analyse Yahtzee's video.

It's like my English teacher used to say, "Sure, I insert more meaning into Macbeth than Shakespeare did. That doesn't mean it's not there."

The artist does not have the final say on meaning.

solidstatemind

Digital Oracle
Nov 9, 2008
Well, that went about a page too far and flew past the border of 'clever/funny' into 'outright tedium', IMO. By going on that long, the author basically told the same joke three times.

DaOysterboy

Apr 4, 2010
I originally thought the obfuscating language and pretentious tone were actually in homage to Yahtzee.

Did anyone else read through the whole thing thinking "you're just reading waaaaay too much into this," only to think "FUUUUUCK! Goddamned trolls...." upon reading the last two words?

Well played. Well played indeed.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Jonluw said:

It was a joke article. He's making fun of college and uni graduates who do this type of thing.

Maur DL

Boredom Slayer
Jul 8, 2009
Uh, cute... joke? I Guess? All that excessive verbiage made for a terrible read however, it was a chore to get through. Any actual meaning buried in there is probably lost on most, including myself as it didn't amuse me and certainly didn't say anything actually insightful, so...

Also wth is a ludologist?

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
wooty said:
Extremely in depth there, lots of big words. I usually just watch ZP for the laugh, never try to think in detail about all the hidden messages really.
Maybe because there isn't?
All those long words trying to convey "hidden messages" reminds me of the IGN person trying to convince us that Metroid was to games like Kane was to movies.

EDIT: I guess now the joke is on me for thinking such pretenciousness was intentional... Well played.

Eikoandmog

Summoner and Pal
May 7, 2008
Ugh, did he really have to introduce those latter paragraphs as "The first..." "The second..." "The third...". That always drives me up the wall.

teknoarcanist

Jun 9, 2008
He even linked to the Sokal wiki page and people are still trying to figure it out XD Well done.

BobisOnlyBob

is Only Bob
Nov 29, 2007
Maur DL said:
ludologist
ludos, latin, meaning "game". "-ology", from logos, meaning "word", now meaning "study of".

A Ludologist is a studier of games, or expert in game studies [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Game_studies].

Aisaku

Jul 9, 2010
Four pages of commments already and nobody mentioned that they misspelled Hermeneutics twice in the article? First, in the article's header and second in the blurb after the article.

While I'm not sure Yahtzee could be called a feminist, he definitely delivers interesting points on his reviews, cleverly coated with sex jokes. Maybe this is his thing, he makes the readers laugh by twisting biting criticism, embarrasing non sequiturs, and internet randomness into a delicious pretzel?

Necrofudge

May 17, 2009
Somehow I doubt that any of his reviews are really this well thought out from a psychological standpoint.

mrb5271

Jul 3, 2010
Thank you for not being serious. I was losing a bit of respect for The Escapist while reading that.

Living Contradiction

Clearly obfusticated
Nov 8, 2009
Wading through the multi-syllabic structure of this incredibly insightful article, I find myself uncharacteristically driven to express my opinion of the judgment inherent in the final sentence with an unvoiced linguolibial trill.

That is to say, "Hey, Mr. Steele! Pbbbbbbbttt!"

AquaAscension

Sep 29, 2009
That article reminded me so, so much more than it should have of some of the essays I've seen/written during my time as an English major. The critical analysis was grasping at straws mostly, but it was amusing for the most part. Reminded me a bit of philosophy papers in which the writer writes lots of big words hoping that their point won't ever actually be understood. Kant, I'm looking at you.

13lackfriday

Feb 10, 2009
I knew it.

Yahtzee really is a genius under all his vulgar, hate-mongering, desexualizing rants.

ALPHATT

Aug 15, 2009
i watch zp so i can agree with somone when it comes to games not laugh at it. There's a crapton of bs posted on these forums and in the ZP episode threads as well. The article is very poor entertainment if anything.

Heraklitus

Mar 29, 2009
This is a joke, right?

If not, this is a perfect example of everything that has gone wrong in some quarters of the humanities. Pseudo-intellectual bullshit that means nothing.

Read some real books and learn to write clearly. Using a bunch of big words that your critical theory professors taught you doesn't make you sound smarter.

GonzoQTortilla

Jul 1, 2009
Heraklitus said:
This is a joke, right?

If not, this is a perfect example of everything that has gone wrong in some quarters of the humanities. Pseudo-intellectual bullshit that means nothing.
Yeah, its a joke, that's the point.

Shjade

Chaos in Jeans
Feb 2, 2010
Scrumpmonkey said:

That said, while purposely reading too much into things for comic value, it does all make sense if you follow the article's logic of things. You could take a lot of it at face value.

...you'd be wrong, of course, but my point is that it isn't just gibberish: the writing itself is sensible even if its purpose is to be silly. Most of it anyway. I must admit to being slightly surprised by how many people are saying they have trouble reading it at all.

Freeze_L

Feb 17, 2010
that was a great article, i had to actually look up a word!(only 1) The critique of yatzhee was interesting to say the least, very well writen, and i loved the serious tone right up to the point were you called everyone "sensitive retarded cunts". seems to me to be more of a satire on modern culture using yatzhee as the backdrop.

Odoylerules360

We're all just folk now...
Aug 29, 2008
Great article!
He seems to be using the idea that the themes and purposes in a work are fair game even if the author doesn't employ them intentionally. I like that.

I live and work with these kinds of words, so this article was actually really understandable.

I hope you guys keep doing something for highbrow twats at least every once in a while!

Heraklitus

Mar 29, 2009
GonzoQTortilla said:
Heraklitus said:
This is a joke, right?

Yeah, its a joke, that's the point.
It's hard to tell sometimes. You wouldn't believe the drivel you can find in academia. . .

Strategia

za Rodina, tovarishchii
Mar 21, 2008
I approve of the complexity of the vocabulary employed. Even if it was a joke, it's still an enjoyable read just because of the language.

lijenstina

Jun 18, 2008
Gibberish ad infinitum and ad nauseam.

Reminds me of the Brontosaurus theory by Anne Elk.

Clunks

Apr 21, 2010
Iknew, I just fucking knew, that a good percentage of this articles comments would be from people who didn't get the gag.

Silva

Apr 13, 2009
Terribly bad jokes cloaked in fairly transparent overly academic formalised claptrap. Next article, please.

Willowleaf

Jun 27, 2011
Someone just got bumped up a couple rungs on my "favorite internet writers" ladder. Well, that or he's found a new and obscure meaning for the word hermeneutics (for everyone that didn't grow up in a Christian school, that would be the study of how to study a religious text. Games are the Bible now, I think.) But the ironic use of language to ironically point out his use of irony in reviews that may or may not actually contain any at all would make the cast of Homestuck so very, very proud.

Mr Companion

Jul 27, 2009
Incredible some people didn't see that this was a joke earlier really, then again blatant sarcasm seems to drift right over the heads of most escapists if experience has taught us anything so the bigger question is why I am surprised in the least.

Anyway quite funny and now I really want to do a voiceover of it in the style of that TF2 meet the spy parody video.

YodaUnleashed

Jun 11, 2010
BlueHighwind said:
As Calvin of "Calvin and Hobbes" once said: "I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!"

http://www.cgu.edu/images/calvin-writing.gif
Calvin couldn't be more right, though I think the intention here is that of laugh inducement, though, one questions it's success to be honest.

Knobody13

Feb 16, 2010
Sonicron said:
Dont't have a PhD (yet), but from a scientific viewpoint there's nothing wrong with this article. Of course, it still feels like a written joke, albeit a high-brow one. Fun! :)

I always thought it was 'a menstruating leper'. Oh well, both make sense in a way, I suppose.
u mean aside from his misuse of several psychological terms and the fact that it is completely wrong and intended to be a joke.

Knobody13

Feb 16, 2010
I like all the pseudo-intellectuals that agreed with this without understanding what he was saying and how it was pointless and wrong. The very fact that its written in such useless language, is enough to fail this paper.

tzimize

Mar 1, 2010
This is the most professionally written load of bollocks I've ever read.

ssgt splatter

Oct 8, 2008
my_ledge_ends said:
Knoxy said:
When I first started reading I literally face-palmed at the idea that this was a serious article.

Ok this article just gave me a headache. How is this a joke per-say? And put it into layman's terms please, thank you.

BigTallGuy

Sep 19, 2014
ssgt splatter said:
my_ledge_ends said:
Knoxy said:

Ok this article just gave me a headache. How is this a joke per-say? And put it into layman's terms please, thank you.

He's making fun of people who try critique video game culture. the very last line he calls everyone who does this a bunch of cunts. which kinda ruins it IMO, but makes it clear to anyone who reads the whole thing.