261: Zero Punctuation: Achieving the Cross-media Transformation of Ludological Hermeneutics

JPH330

Blogger Person
Jan 31, 2010
I spotted a lot of 'SAT words' I had to learn last year. All in all it looks like something I would have written in 30 minutes for the AP exam.

Pseudo-intellectual FTW!

Zombus

Apr 29, 2009
It appeals to my high-minded idealism whilst simultaneously stimulating my elevated mental capacities, insofar as they are able to be stimulated, and led to mine ultimate reaction of mirth, to whit; contemplating the obfuscation the articulate article would impose upon lay-men, ne'er-do-wells, and other ignominous miscreants who aught bestow recompense for their enormities and plethora of other attrocities of ignorance that they propagate all too regularily.

~or~

I lol'd.

PlasticTree

May 17, 2009
An original perspective, and well executed, but not funny enough for a whole article. I understand this sounds fun on paper (no pun intended), but personally I just read the first paragraph, got the joke, and skimmed through the rest of the article to check if you'd try something else after a few hundred words.

I won't mind a 'gimmick-article' like this if it doesn't happen too often, but I still feel a bit like someone stole my 4th article, this week.

Hmm, after previewing this post I realise that I sound a lot like someone who doesn't enjoy living anymore. Maybe I should start making videoreviews with a yellow background? ;)

JeppeH

Nov 18, 2009
ark123 said:
JeppeH said:
ark123 said:
He just wrote an article with a lot of unnecessary intellectualism so you guys would theorize on how this is funny.
But it's just not. When you have to explain the joke, you've failed as a comedian (Louis C.K.)
When you have to have the joke explained the joke was not meant for you.
By that reasoning everything is always funny. I mean, you haven't asked every person on earth, right?
When a joke isn't funny, the comedian misjudged his crowd.
A few sycophants will grin and say "HEHEHE BIG WORDS, HURRRRR", but most people won't bother reading it, and the ones that do will find it's void of Teh Funneh.
To quote one of my favorite poets 'those who only take seriously in earnest and jest for jest understand both equally bad' (Piet Hein; translated from danish - hope it makes sense)

And I read it all and found it funny. And I can see others in this thread who likewise found it funny.
Your conclusion that everything is thus funny may actually be correct (I believe it is) seen in the right perspective.

If you can't laugh about the absurdities and tragedies in life I feel a slight pinch sorry for you.

Gunner 51

Jun 21, 2009
I didn't need all this first thing in the morning. Though I get the impression the obscure wording put in there for the sake of it did make the writer look a tad pretentious. (Either that, or he was gunning for an A+ from his college professor.)

Giest4life

The Saucepan Man
Feb 13, 2010
Half way through this I realized that I was being trolled.Good one, you Escapist bastards.

solidstatemind

Digital Oracle
Nov 9, 2008
Well, that went about a page too far and flew past the border of 'clever/funny' into 'outright tedium', IMO. By going on that long, the author basically told the same joke three times.

DaOysterboy

Apr 4, 2010
I originally thought the obfuscating language and pretentious tone were actually in homage to Yahtzee.

Did anyone else read through the whole thing thinking "you're just reading waaaaay too much into this," only to think "FUUUUUCK! Goddamned trolls...." upon reading the last two words?

Well played. Well played indeed.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Jonluw said:
I had no idea ZP had all those underlying messages.

And did the writer of this article purposefully make it a hell for non-native english speakers?
It was a joke article. He's making fun of college and uni graduates who do this type of thing.

Maur DL

Boredom Slayer
Jul 8, 2009
Uh, cute... joke? I Guess? All that excessive verbiage made for a terrible read however, it was a chore to get through. Any actual meaning buried in there is probably lost on most, including myself as it didn't amuse me and certainly didn't say anything actually insightful, so...

Also wth is a ludologist?

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
wooty said:
Extremely in depth there, lots of big words. I usually just watch ZP for the laugh, never try to think in detail about all the hidden messages really.
Maybe because there isn't?
All those long words trying to convey "hidden messages" reminds me of the IGN person trying to convince us that Metroid was to games like Kane was to movies.

EDIT: I guess now the joke is on me for thinking such pretenciousness was intentional... Well played.

Eikoandmog

Summoner and Pal
May 7, 2008
Ugh, did he really have to introduce those latter paragraphs as "The first..." "The second..." "The third...". That always drives me up the wall.

BobisOnlyBob

is Only Bob
Nov 29, 2007
Maur DL said:
ludologist
ludos, latin, meaning "game". "-ology", from logos, meaning "word", now meaning "study of".

A Ludologist is a studier of games, or expert in game studies [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Game_studies].

Aisaku

Jul 9, 2010
Four pages of commments already and nobody mentioned that they misspelled Hermeneutics twice in the article? First, in the article's header and second in the blurb after the article.

While I'm not sure Yahtzee could be called a feminist, he definitely delivers interesting points on his reviews, cleverly coated with sex jokes. Maybe this is his thing, he makes the readers laugh by twisting biting criticism, embarrasing non sequiturs, and internet randomness into a delicious pretzel?

Necrofudge

May 17, 2009
Somehow I doubt that any of his reviews are really this well thought out from a psychological standpoint.