261: Zero Punctuation: Achieving the Cross-media Transformation of Ludological Hermeneutics

mrb5271

Jul 3, 2010
Thank you for not being serious. I was losing a bit of respect for The Escapist while reading that.

Living Contradiction

Clearly obfusticated
Nov 8, 2009
Wading through the multi-syllabic structure of this incredibly insightful article, I find myself uncharacteristically driven to express my opinion of the judgment inherent in the final sentence with an unvoiced linguolibial trill.

That is to say, "Hey, Mr. Steele! Pbbbbbbbttt!"

AquaAscension

Sep 29, 2009
That article reminded me so, so much more than it should have of some of the essays I've seen/written during my time as an English major. The critical analysis was grasping at straws mostly, but it was amusing for the most part. Reminded me a bit of philosophy papers in which the writer writes lots of big words hoping that their point won't ever actually be understood. Kant, I'm looking at you.

ALPHATT

Aug 15, 2009
i watch zp so i can agree with somone when it comes to games not laugh at it. There's a crapton of bs posted on these forums and in the ZP episode threads as well. The article is very poor entertainment if anything.

Heraklitus

Mar 29, 2009
This is a joke, right?

If not, this is a perfect example of everything that has gone wrong in some quarters of the humanities. Pseudo-intellectual bullshit that means nothing.

Read some real books and learn to write clearly. Using a bunch of big words that your critical theory professors taught you doesn't make you sound smarter.

GonzoQTortilla

Jul 1, 2009
Heraklitus said:
This is a joke, right?

If not, this is a perfect example of everything that has gone wrong in some quarters of the humanities. Pseudo-intellectual bullshit that means nothing.
Yeah, its a joke, that's the point.

Shjade

Chaos in Jeans
Feb 2, 2010
Scrumpmonkey said:
For those who didn't 'get' the article, it's meant to be dense.

This is not a serious article.

It's a pardoy of over-intellectualising something that is not very intelectual i.e. a hat wearing angry sweary man who hates stuff. The language is meant to say very little but in very big overinfated words. I also detect a slight amount of self mockery of the escapist who tend to do very in depth analysis which can easily (but usually dosen't here at the Escapist, it's been very well done) stray into pointless chin stroking and posturing.
That said, while purposely reading too much into things for comic value, it does all make sense if you follow the article's logic of things. You could take a lot of it at face value.

...you'd be wrong, of course, but my point is that it isn't just gibberish: the writing itself is sensible even if its purpose is to be silly. Most of it anyway. I must admit to being slightly surprised by how many people are saying they have trouble reading it at all.

Freeze_L

Feb 17, 2010
that was a great article, i had to actually look up a word!(only 1) The critique of yatzhee was interesting to say the least, very well writen, and i loved the serious tone right up to the point were you called everyone "sensitive retarded cunts". seems to me to be more of a satire on modern culture using yatzhee as the backdrop.

Odoylerules360

We're all just folk now...
Aug 29, 2008
Great article!
He seems to be using the idea that the themes and purposes in a work are fair game even if the author doesn't employ them intentionally. I like that.

I live and work with these kinds of words, so this article was actually really understandable.

I hope you guys keep doing something for highbrow twats at least every once in a while!

Heraklitus

Mar 29, 2009
GonzoQTortilla said:
Heraklitus said:
This is a joke, right?

Yeah, its a joke, that's the point.
It's hard to tell sometimes. You wouldn't believe the drivel you can find in academia. . .

Strategia

za Rodina, tovarishchii
Mar 21, 2008
I approve of the complexity of the vocabulary employed. Even if it was a joke, it's still an enjoyable read just because of the language.

Clunks

Apr 21, 2010
Iknew, I just fucking knew, that a good percentage of this articles comments would be from people who didn't get the gag.

Silva

Apr 13, 2009
Terribly bad jokes cloaked in fairly transparent overly academic formalised claptrap. Next article, please.