261: Zero Punctuation: Achieving the Cross-media Transformation of Ludological Hermeneutics

Willowleaf

Jun 27, 2011
Someone just got bumped up a couple rungs on my "favorite internet writers" ladder. Well, that or he's found a new and obscure meaning for the word hermeneutics (for everyone that didn't grow up in a Christian school, that would be the study of how to study a religious text. Games are the Bible now, I think.) But the ironic use of language to ironically point out his use of irony in reviews that may or may not actually contain any at all would make the cast of Homestuck so very, very proud.

Mr Companion

Jul 27, 2009
Incredible some people didn't see that this was a joke earlier really, then again blatant sarcasm seems to drift right over the heads of most escapists if experience has taught us anything so the bigger question is why I am surprised in the least.

Anyway quite funny and now I really want to do a voiceover of it in the style of that TF2 meet the spy parody video.

YodaUnleashed

Jun 11, 2010
BlueHighwind said:
As Calvin of "Calvin and Hobbes" once said: "I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!"

http://www.cgu.edu/images/calvin-writing.gif
Calvin couldn't be more right, though I think the intention here is that of laugh inducement, though, one questions it's success to be honest.

Knobody13

Feb 16, 2010
Sonicron said:
Dont't have a PhD (yet), but from a scientific viewpoint there's nothing wrong with this article. Of course, it still feels like a written joke, albeit a high-brow one. Fun! :)

I always thought it was 'a menstruating leper'. Oh well, both make sense in a way, I suppose.
u mean aside from his misuse of several psychological terms and the fact that it is completely wrong and intended to be a joke.

Knobody13

Feb 16, 2010
I like all the pseudo-intellectuals that agreed with this without understanding what he was saying and how it was pointless and wrong. The very fact that its written in such useless language, is enough to fail this paper.

ssgt splatter

Oct 8, 2008
my_ledge_ends said:
I'll save you time, marioman - it's a joke article. He's basically saying that Yatzhee accuses Dragon Age of encouraging genocide while simultaneously critiquing the male ego as insecure and homophobic. It's a load of hogwash obfuscated by turgid dialogue intended to infuse the reading with a certain sense of highminded sophistication befitting the cultural descent into the ascending integration of highmindedness befitting the proper age we are now entering as demonstrated by said article (c wut i did thar?).
Knoxy said:
When I first started reading I literally face-palmed at the idea that this was a serious article.

Thank christ it turned out to be a joke.
Ok this article just gave me a headache. How is this a joke per-say? And put it into layman's terms please, thank you.

BigTallGuy

Sep 19, 2014
ssgt splatter said:
my_ledge_ends said:
I'll save you time, marioman - it's a joke article. He's basically saying that Yatzhee accuses Dragon Age of encouraging genocide while simultaneously critiquing the male ego as insecure and homophobic. It's a load of hogwash obfuscated by turgid dialogue intended to infuse the reading with a certain sense of highminded sophistication befitting the cultural descent into the ascending integration of highmindedness befitting the proper age we are now entering as demonstrated by said article (c wut i did thar?).
Knoxy said:
When I first started reading I literally face-palmed at the idea that this was a serious article.

Thank christ it turned out to be a joke.
Ok this article just gave me a headache. How is this a joke per-say? And put it into layman's terms please, thank you.

He's making fun of people who try critique video game culture. the very last line he calls everyone who does this a bunch of cunts. which kinda ruins it IMO, but makes it clear to anyone who reads the whole thing.