Guess the Street Fighter Spin-off!

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Guess the Street Fighter Spin-off!

Hungarian software company ZEN Studios has blasted out a teaser image featuring Street Fighter's Ryu in front of a... shiny sphere of some sort.

When we received the image you see to the right, we were... well, a bit puzzled to be honest. All we knew was that Budapest-based ZEN Studios was apparently teasing an upcoming announcement to be made tomorrow via the PlayStation Blog [http://blog.us.playstation.com/], and beyond that, we could only guess.

The strange thing, of course, is that the figure is unmistakably Street Fighter's Ryu - so one might assume that this would be a project involving Capcom. But as for that silvery orb behind him? Well, that could be anything. So, I asked around Chez Escape to get a few opinions.

ckeymel: It's obviously a marble ball. Street Fighter Marble Madness.

Susan Arendt: Ryu and friends go golfing, of course. (Alternatively: Ryu discovers that he's a werewolf and must fight to resist the power of the full moon)

Jordan Deam: You remember that old 90s game Crossfire? Yeah, it's going to be that.

sprout: It's a cue ball. So, Street Fighter Billiards.

I'd thrown my hat in with Hungry Hungry Hondas myself - but then on a whim, I checked out the official website [http://www.zenstudios.com/], and not only has ZEN Studios made more than a few pinball titles before, that is, in fact, the exact logo for Zen Pinball.

So, there you go. Street Fighter pinball. We're not totally ruling out the possibility of hitting the links with M.Bison and Ken, but that might just be coming later.

Credge

Apr 12, 2008
:|

Really that much confusion? Zen Pinball was a decently big game on the PSN a few months ago. That's the Zen Pinball logo to boot.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Credge said:

Really that much confusion? Zen Pinball was a decently big game on the PSN a few months ago. That's the Zen Pinball logo to boot.
It's much more fun to come up with alternate possibilities though.

Like Street Fighter Beach Volleyball.

Feb 13, 2008
Didn't Street Fighter Pinball already come out for the Xbox last year? And in the arcades a mere 16 years ago?

Way to keep up with the times, Zen.

Actually it's not too bad a pinball from what I remember, although the Chun Li kick is really annoying.

Oh and don't try for any of the bonus rounds as it's easier to get points simply by defeating the different World Warriors.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
paulgruberman said:
Credge said:

It's much more fun to come up with alternate possibilities though.

Like Street Fighter Beach Volleyball.
What he said ;)

Frank_Sinatra_

Digs Giant Robots
Dec 30, 2008
I say it's for Street Fighter Table Tennis. You know and they could channel their moves through the paddles into the ball. Fucking fireball ping pong ball.

Croaker42

Feb 5, 2009
Frank_Sinatra_ said:
I say it's for Street Fighter Table Tennis. You know and they could channel their moves through the paddles into the ball. Fucking fireball ping pong ball.
"Hadupong"

Earthbound

Aug 13, 2008
Street Fighters Pinball, joy. Now all they need to do is release a Street Fighters kart racing game and a Street Fighters minigame collection and they'll be all set.

Seriously though, pinball? There's really not much that you can do with a pinball game. Of course, I've been wrong before. Perhaps this game will rival the creative genius of games like Bioshock and Ico, just with flippers and *TILT*s.

Baby Tea

Just Ask Frankie
Sep 18, 2008
I have no idea what Zen Pinball is, but pinball is the first thing that came to mind.

Of course, this will mean the descent of the Street Fighter Franchise.
Remember what happened to Sonic after Sonic Spinball? Death.
It was good knowing you Street Fighter. Have fun dying.

Feb 13, 2008
Baby Tea said:
I have no idea what Zen Pinball is, but pinball is the first thing that came to mind.

Of course, this will mean the descent of the Street Fighter Franchise.
Remember what happened to Sonic after Sonic Spinball? Death.
It was good knowing you Street Fighter. Have fun dying.

Been dying for 16 years now BT :)

Baby Tea

Just Ask Frankie
Sep 18, 2008
The_root_of_all_evil said:
*Pinball Video*

Been dying for 16 years now BT :)
That totally doesn't count! That's a real machine!
Spinball was a video game through and through.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Credge said:

As the post says, we figured it out. Then promptly decided that it was more fun coming up with our own ideas.

It's obviously Street Fighter Xtreme Bowling, duh.

HardRockSamurai

May 28, 2008
Street Fighter Pinball? Meh, I think it could work...

[small]...would playing as Zangief still be cheap?...[/small]

Feb 13, 2008
Street Fighter 2: The Adventure Game

You are on a mountain ledge. There is a dark hut in the background. The moon hangs overhead shining down on you and your opponent.
What do you want to do now?
THROW FIREBALL
I'm sorry, you do no have a FIREBALL.
HADOKEN
You throw a fireball. Your enemy takes damage.
HADOKEN
You throw a fireball. Your enemy takes damage.
He jumps at you.
SHORYUKEN
You throw a dragonpunch. Your flying enemy takes damage.
Your enemy gives up.
What do you want to do now?

GloatingSwine

Nov 10, 2007
Capcom are the absolute masters of brand whoring.

One only needs look at the, almost literally, over nine thousand games with Megaman in to know that.