Deus Ex: Human Revolution Goes Free On PlayStation Plus

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Deus Ex: Human Revolution Goes Free On PlayStation Plus

A new crop of free titles will soon join the PlayStation 3's PlayStation Plus offerings, including Deus Ex: Human Revolution and Saints Row The Third.

When Sony first announced the details of the online services that would be accessible from the PlayStation 3, prospective buyers were elated to see that online gameplay would cost them absolutely nothing. That was a big positive when compared to online play on the Xbox 360 which requires an Xbox Gold membership. However, Sony quickly realized that it could make even more money by charging a subscription fee for enhanced online functionality, specifically the ability for subscribers to download and play certain games for zero dollars.

The collection of games on offer from the PlayStation Plus initiative has steadily been growing over time, but Sony's June additions to the service may be the best yet. As of now, those with active PlayStation Plus memberships have the opportunity to download PlayStation Vita titles like Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward and Orc Attack, while PlayStation 3 owners can pull down Machinarium, Deus Ex: Human Revolution and Saints Row: The Third.

Those last two titles are the reason for this news post, as they are undeniably two of the best games released during 2011, and could easily find a home among the best games of this current, moribund console generation. If you have a PlayStation Plus subscription and haven't played either of these titles, now would be a great time to rectify that. Alternately, if you don't have a PlayStation Plus membership, Sony would be happy to sell you one in either three month or one year increments for $18 and $50, respectively.

As with all PlayStation Plus offerings, those of you who download these titles will be able to play them until your subscription is no longer valid - a very helpful feature due to how much stuff one can do in Saints Row: The Third.

So where's the negative? To make room for these new titles Sony is pulling a number of other games from the PlayStation Plus free bin. To wit:

June 4th - Sleeping Dogs
June 11th - Closure
June 11th - Ratchet & Clank All 4 One
June 11th - inFAMOUS 2
June 11th - LittleBigPlanet 2
June 18th - SOULCALIBUR: Broken Destiny
June 25th - BlazBlue: Continuum Shift EXTEND

Since these games are still free until you remove them from your hard drive (or your PlayStation Plus account goes inactive), now would also be a great time to pick up any of the aforementioned titles you've been meaning to play. Otherwise, once we pass those dates listed in the quote, they'll be gone forever, and you'll be forced to pay retail to enjoy them.

Source: PlayStation.blog [http://blog.us.playstation.com/2013/06/03/playstation-plus-deus-ex-human-revolution-free-for-members/]

Deshin

Aug 31, 2010
Meanwhile over in Xbox land we're still paying for the privilage to play online, access to Netflix (which my country doesn't get ANYWAY) and maybe get a 25% discount on 1200 point DLC for one of the above games once a week if you're really, really lucky.

Sony's really going the distance these days, wish I'd gotten one instead of a 360 :(

neonsword13-ops

~ Struck by a Smooth Criminal ~
Mar 28, 2011
Already played SR3, beat it with 100%, and then sold it. Don't see a reason to go back and replay it. All of the spectacle has worn off for me.

And why did I have to buy Human Revolution on the PSN store before it went free? T-T It's still a great game, though. I would recommend it to anyone wanting a worthy sequel to the original.

Also, I'm still waiting for Catherine to go free over here in the west. Even though it's made by the Persona team, I don't think it's worth paying $40 for a puzzle game with morality choices.

IronMit

Jul 24, 2012
Earnest Cavalli said:
they are undeniably two of the best games released during 2011
2011 had skyrim, arkham city, portal 2, dark souls.Whilst I count Deus ex:HR as one of my favourite games of all time and am chuffed you appreciate it too, it is not 'undeniable'. I think 'Debatable' .

PoolCleaningRobot

Mar 18, 2012
Glad I signed up for playstation plus last week. But fuck, I wish my ps3 had more hard disk space

Deshin said:
Meanwhile over in Xbox land we're still paying for the privilage to play online, access to Netflix (which my country doesn't get ANYWAY) and maybe get a 25% discount on 1200 point DLC for one of the above games once a week if you're really, really lucky.

Sony's really going the distance these days, wish I'd gotten one instead of a 360 :(
I almost bought a 360 cause my friends had one. Several years later, I feel like I dodged a bullet. You have my sympathy bro

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
Might be worth pointing out that this is in America.

In the EU, we have...

Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning, ICO and Shadow of the Colossus HD and Demon?s Souls all coming to PS3, and Rayman Origins and Coconut Dodge Revitalised to PS Vita.

So not too shabby here, either.
neonsword13-ops said:
Also, I'm still waiting for Catherine to go free over here in the west. Even though it's made by the Persona team, I don't think it's worth paying $40 for a puzzle game with morality choices.
It actually came out on PS Plus here in May =P

Still need to get round to playing it actually...

Oly J

Nov 9, 2009
PoolCleaningRobot said:
Glad I signed up for playstation plus last week. But fuck, I wish my ps3 had more hard disk space

Deshin said:

I almost bought a 360 cause my friends had one. Several years later, I feel like I dodged a bullet. You have my sympathy bro
disk space is why I am on my 3rd PS3 without any of them breaking, I'm planning to get the 500GB model eventually too, I was on PS+ as soon as it began as a service just for the cloud storage of saved games, (which saved my ass once on Skyrim,) the occasional free mini, and early access to game demos (not to mention the full game trials) and I thought that alone was worth it, my PS+ subscription has payed for itself many times over and continues to do so

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
Hooray, good thing I've not used my PS Plus Card yet. I started out with a 360 for the 7th generation, and I switched to PS3 around late 2010. I regret no decisions at all.
Reminds me of the first time I got Plus, that week every Final Fantasy game was 50% off. So now I own all the old ones. :D

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
OT: I can't wait to play Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward, I heard good things about it.

Viper114

Dec 3, 2008
Well, I'm glad I don't have to worry about losing my copy of inFamous 2, since it's safely on my system and I plan to remain a member for as long as possible.

PoolCleaningRobot

Mar 18, 2012
Oly J said:
PoolCleaningRobot said:

Deshin said:

disk space is why I am on my 3rd PS3 without any of them breaking, I'm planning to get the 500GB model eventually too, I was on PS+ as soon as it began as a service just for the cloud storage of saved games, (which saved my ass once on Skyrim,) the occasional free mini, and early access to game demos (not to mention the full game trials) and I thought that alone was worth it, my PS+ subscription has payed for itself many times over and continues to do so
I got it so I could transfer saves between my vita and ps3 cross play games but I'm definitely glad I signed up for the free gamz. I was planning on getting the slim 500 gig ps3 eventually but now might have to get it sooner considering I only have my trusty fat 80 gig

Big_Boss_Mantis

May 28, 2012
Well, I have been really interested in experiencing Deus Ex, since it seems to be held in such high regard by fellow escapists, but I still wouldn't go and buy it, since I already have an everlasting backlog.
Now I will finally play it! :)

And Zero Escape for the Vita, but I think I'm not going to advance on that one. Tried to play 999 on the DS and found it too slow and too much plain text for my taste in games...

I have so much stuff from PS Plus that I am worried that I'm gonna lose everything when, eventually, Sony ends offering the service on PS3 !! (I would guess it may take two more years before it becomes PS4 and Vita only...)

Doom972

Dec 25, 2008
It's good that more people will have the opportunity to enjoy this game, even if the developers decided to be dicks after making it.

Deshin said:

Your post makes me curious about this: Why did you get an Xbox 360? Were you aware of these flaws before you got it?

Zer0Saber

Aug 20, 2008
Ah, PlayStation Plus, had it since day one and it's the reason I have a 750GB hard drive now.

Deshin

Aug 31, 2010
Doom972 said:
Deshin said:

Your post makes me curious about this: Why did you get an Xbox 360? Were you aware of these flaws before you got it?
To be perfectly honest I was going to skip over the generation entirely and just stick to PC Gaming. I'd made myself a pretty decent PC back in 2007 and was doing the majority of my playing there. Then a "friend" of mine more or less started constantly begging me to get an Xbox 360 so he and I could play online. Going on about how "Xbox 360 is next gen, only now" (PS4 wasn't even released at this point in time) so I finally caved and bought a 360 the following year in 2008. Then this "friend" has his exams so he's not playing for that month and lo' and behold 6 weeks after I buy it he buys a PS3 to celebrate his exams finishing and we never did play together AT ALL.

Bottom line kids: Some people are just massive pricks.

Doom972

Dec 25, 2008
Deshin said:
Doom972 said:
Deshin said:

To be perfectly honest I was going to skip over the generation entirely and just stick to PC Gaming. I'd made myself a pretty decent PC back in 2007 and was doing the majority of my playing there. Then a "friend" of mine more or less started constantly begging me to get an Xbox 360 so he and I could play online. Going on about how "Xbox 360 is next gen, only now" (PS4 wasn't even released at this point in time) so I finally caved and bought a 360 the following year in 2008. Then this "friend" has his exams so he's not playing for that month and lo' and behold 6 weeks after I buy it he buys a PS3 to celebrate his exams finishing and we never did play together AT ALL.

Bottom line kids: Some people are just massive pricks.
That's just awful. Thanks for sharing.
I wonder how many other people got an Xbox 360 due to similar reasons.