IGDA Disavows Langdell Email

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
IGDA Disavows Langdell Email

The plot thickens! The International Game Developers Association [http://www.igda.org/] has disavowed yesterday's email calling for the removal of Tim Langdell from its Board of Directors, saying it was not an official communication and that the organization has nothing to do with any of the content or links provided.

An litigious antics [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/93641-IGDA-Members-Call-for-Edge-Langdells-Removal] in defense of his "Edge" trademark and his willingness to invoke the name of the IGDA as part of his crusade has brought the group into disrepute.

But while the email appeared to originate from the IGDA and its sentiment may be widely shared, IGDA Executive Director Joshua Caulfield issued a statement today saying it was not an "official IGDA communication" and that at the moment, the actual author is unknown. "That email address was spoofed, and the communication was not an official IGDA communication," Caulfield said [http://www.igda.org/newsroom/Email_Announcement.pdf]. "It is my hope that this was done by someone simply overzealous about their cause, and not for more destructive reasons."

That may not be quite accurate, though. Anyone who joins the IGDA, even with a free membership, has access to the "member contact form." IGDA volunteer and wrote on his blog [http://www.orbusgameworks.com/] that he believes a group of people opposed to Langdell's presence on the Board of Directors simply divided the member list between them and used those contact forms to send the message.

"Nobody obtained email addresses through dubious means," he wrote. "It's like sending a message via Facebook [http://www.facebook.com] messaging... These messages were not sent in an unethical or illegal way. If anything, the messages are a consequence of the rather poor state of the current IGDA website."

In the end, it may not matter how or where the messages originated, as it accomplished what it was sent to do. Awareness of, and outrage over, Langdell's behavior has been bolstered and the launched in mid-July [http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?sm=68SOsjTK_2f9qJvOQ_2b2Zw7_2fA_3d_3d] by IGDA member Corvus Elrod, is legitimate. Regardless of whether or not anyone gamed the rules to get the message out, it got out, and Langdell's position on the IGDA Board of Directors appears increasingly precarious as a result.

Baby Tea

Just Ask Frankie
Sep 18, 2008
Sounds like the IDGA is as useless as the UN.

I don't even know how this guy can keep going with this crap!
Kick him out! For the good of the industry!

5 Bucks says if they do actually kick him out and put a stop to this 'edge' nonsense, we see an explosion of 'edge' games.

HardRockSamurai

May 28, 2008
Wait, so they didn't call for his removal? This is incredibly shocking; this story is keeping me on the edge of my seat.

[small]HardRockSamurai is being sued. "Edge" is trademarked property of Edge Games and Edge Games founder Tim Langdell. Any unauthorized use of the word "Edge," or any variation of the word "Edge," may result in paying a fine of up to $10,000 and incarceration for a minimum of two years. Suck on that![/small]

cobra_ky

Nov 20, 2008
if Langdell can manipulate the legal system for his own benefit, then IGDA members can manipulate their mailing lists the same way.

Baby Tea

Just Ask Frankie
Sep 18, 2008
cobra_ky said:
if Langdell can manipulate the legal system for his own benefit, then IGDA members can manipulate their mailing lists the same way.
Oooooh! What a good zing!
I like it. I like it a lot.

SimuLord

Whom Gods Annoy
Aug 20, 2008
I wonder if the mastermind of this little plot wasn't maybe a 4channer. That seems the sort of crap that /b/tards would pull.

Macguffin

Apr 25, 2009
HardRockSamurai - Members of the IGDA (like myself and Corvus) are calling for his removal - the IGDA as an organization is not - like if someone at Sony said they hate Microsoft, as opposed to it being a company statement.

The Board, it seems, is caught in a tough spot. The unconfirmed rumor is that they have been threatened with legal action if they step the wrong way.

Baby Tea - Sadly, even if we get him removed, it won't make him stop his trademark shenanigans. But we can at least feel a bit better that he's one of the people running our organization.

The Bandit

Feb 5, 2008
Baby Tea said:
5 Bucks says if they do actually kick him out and put a stop to this 'edge' nonsense, we see an explosion of 'edge' games.
Even if he's kicked out, there's nothing anyone can do to stop him from being a jerk with his trademark. He owns it, he's allowed to run around suing anything that moves.

Maybe it will teach him to stop being such a moron, though. We can hope.

LordSphinx

Apr 14, 2009
I was a member of the IGDA and got out because of that kind of crap. The IGDA has no impact whatsoever on the industry anymore. They just want members to pay their stupid membership while they get absolutely nothing in return. Where are the regulations of accreditations for game developers? Where are the sanctions against companies that abuse the good will of their employees? Where are the resources for those who work 100 hours a week and feel like they'll lose their job if they complain about it? When I'll see some progress, and if they have anything to do about it, I might reconsider joining back the association. We're far from it.

hansari

May 31, 2009
Macguffin said:
The Board, it seems, is caught in a tough spot. The unconfirmed rumor is that they have been threatened with legal action if they step the wrong way.
Hahaha...

This Langdell guy really is the master of lawsuits...

I agree with what another poster said...IGDA seems to wield the same power/authority as the UN...

wbrimleh

Sep 3, 2009
Ding dong, the witch is at least temporarily removed from an influential position which he was no doubt gleefully abusing to the detriment of up and coming ACTUAL game developers. Not dead yet! Still needs a bit more time in the oven.

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
This is turning into a regular soap opera. An entertaining one at that.