Fables Heads To The Silver Screen

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Fables Heads To The Silver Screen

Bill Willingham's Fables appears to be the next comic book property slated to hit theaters as a big-budget Hollywood film.

According to The Hollywood Reporter, the adaptation is being written by Jeremy Slater, a screenwriter whose only prior credit of note is the upcoming Fantastic Four reboot film. The director for Fables is a man named Nikolaj Arcel, a Danish auteur who's not well known outside of his native land, but did win acclaim for helming A Royal Affair, a Danish flick that was well-received in its home country.

Beyond that, we know precious little about the Fables adaptation. The film is still in the extremely early planning stages, and as such the people behind it have not cast anyone in any roles, nor do they even have an estimated release date for the flick. Assuming everything goes to plan, we'd expect the movie to emerge in 2015 (most likely during the summer), but any number of factors could delay or speed its arrival.

While comic book fans will recognize Fables as one of the most imaginative, genuinely excellent comic book series out there (at least until the Adversary confrontation). It somehow manages to blend dozens of characters from international folklore into a cohesive world that is at times as mundane as our own, and at times as fantastical as anything seen in any of DC or Marvel's superhero books. It's so good that Telltale Games is adapting Fables for a videogame in much the same way it did The Walking Dead (and we don't need to remind you of how that project turned out).

Here's hoping that both the game and this new film adaptation turn out as well as Telltale's Walking Dead. In the meanwhile, we'll bring you any updates as they emerge.

Source: The Hollywood Reporter [http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/dc-comic-fables-targeted-film-562016]

BreakfastMan

Scandinavian Jawbreaker
Jul 22, 2010
I know it will probably be crap, but dammit! I am too huge of a Fables fan [footnote]Yes, even after the end of the Adversary war. I know the comic kind of got... not the best after that, but I still enjoy it, and it has been getting better lately, dammit![/footnote] to not get excited about this. Will likely go see it in theaters the weekend it is out regardless of the film's quality. :D

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
For some reason, the guy that's smoking looks like He-man to me.

Anyways, I really need to start reading Fables since I've heard nothing but good things. While I have good faith that the good folks at Telltale will do a damn good job at the game, I don't have much faith into that screen adaptation.

Not a good track record when it comes to these things. :/

The

Jan 24, 2012
What's this quality-degrading Adversary confrontation?

BreakfastMan

Scandinavian Jawbreaker
Jul 22, 2010
The said:
What's this quality-degrading Adversary confrontation?
Basically, the entirety of the cast initiate a war against the evil empire that is lead by the big bad (The Adversary) that had forced them into the mundy (AKA the real world). They actually win the war in the end, but not without it's costs. The problem is, the book kind tries and fails to replace the previous big bad AND evil empire with a new one, then just kind of loses direction and meanders around for a bit after that. The story quality also kind of degraded when the 2nd big bad appeared, too. The story quality has been getting better in recent books, but it isn't at the place where it once was. :(

BreakfastMan

Scandinavian Jawbreaker
Jul 22, 2010
Fiz_The_Toaster said:

Anyways, I really need to start reading Fables since I've heard nothing but good things. While I have good faith that the good folks at Telltale will do a damn good job at the game, I don't have much faith into that screen adaptation.

You really should give Fables a read soon, it is a damn fine series (again, up to the end of the Adversary war). There really are few at it's level, and even fewer better. I would put it way up there with Sandman, Transmetropolitan, The Boys, and Hellboy, TBH. :D

saintdane05

Aug 2, 2011
We get Fables? Before Empowered? Before the epic that is Maid Man?

For shame, Hollywood, for shame...

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
BreakfastMan said:
Fiz_The_Toaster said:

You really should give Fables a read soon, it is a damn fine series (again, up to the end of the Adversary war). There really are few at it's level, and even fewer better. I would put it way up there with Sandman, Transmetropolitan, The Boys, and Hellboy, TBH. :D
I know I know.

Blunder was the other person telling me that I should read it. But if it's up there with the likes of Sandman and Hellboy then I should probably stop being lazy and visit the comic shop. :D

BreakfastMan

Scandinavian Jawbreaker
Jul 22, 2010
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
BreakfastMan said:
Fiz_The_Toaster said:

I know I know.

Blunder was the other person telling me that I should read it. But if it's up there with the likes of Sandman and Hellboy then I should probably stop being lazy and visit the comic shop. :D
You should. But start from the beginning. If you start from the issues currently out, you will be horribly confused. It isn't really a series you can just jump in to. :D

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
I can't unsee it now!

[HEADING=1]HEYYEYAAEYAAAEYAEYAA! [http://heyyeyaaeyaaaeyaeyaa.com/][/HEADING]

Anyway, I'm always interested when Telltale is involved in something, and hopefully this film can be good as well (although I'll admit I'd never heard of it up until now)

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
BreakfastMan said:
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
BreakfastMan said:
Fiz_The_Toaster said:

I know I know.

You should. But start from the beginning. If you start from the issues currently out, you will be horribly confused. It isn't really a series you can just jump in to. :D
Why would I be silly and not start from the beginning? :D

Especially since it's very story driven from what I understand. So I should probably hurry up and read those before either come out since I don't want to be spoiled.

BreakfastMan

Scandinavian Jawbreaker
Jul 22, 2010
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
BreakfastMan said:
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
BreakfastMan said:
Fiz_The_Toaster said:

I know I know.

Why would I be silly and not start from the beginning? :D

Especially since it's very story driven from what I understand. So I should probably hurry up and read those before either come out since I don't want to be spoiled.
The TellTale game is actually a prequel to the main series; it shouldn't spoil anything too major, so you can afford to wait a little bit. But definitely read them soon, they are damn fine books, for the most part. :)

Alar

The Stormbringer
Dec 1, 2009
I approve! I may only have the first book of this series, but it seems to be pretty good.

RedmistSM

Jan 30, 2010
Maybe they'll open it Tropic Thunder style, with trailers from all the dumb movies starring Jack that he made about himself.

(Not a huge Fable fan, personally, but I can see it work in a movie format)