Deus Ex: The Fall Emerges As A Mobile Title

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Deus Ex: The Fall Emerges As A Mobile Title

We finally know what Deus Ex: The Fall is, but sadly the reality of this new game is probably not as exciting as you'd hope.

For months we've been following Deus Ex: The Fall [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/124622-Deus-Ex-The-Fall-Teaser-Reveals-Almost-Nothing]. Developer Eidos Montreal and publisher Square Enix have been endlessly coy about the game, dropping minor hints here and there without ever giving a clear view of what The Fall might be. That all changed this morning with the revelation that Deus Ex: The Fall will be exclusive to mobile devices.

Beyond that lowlight however, the game sounds interesting. It's described as a full-fledged new entry in the Deus Ex franchise, and the official synopsis makes it seem as if The Fall will fit in nicely among its predecessors. Have a look:

Deus Ex: The Fall is set in 2027- a golden era for science, technology and human augmentation, but also a time of great social divide and global conspiracy. Powerful corporations have seized control from governments and command the drug supply needed by augmented humans to survive. In this chaos Ben Saxon, a former British SAS Mercenary who underwent physical augmentation, is desperate for the truth behind the drug conspiracy. Betrayed by his private military employers, the Tyrants, not only is his own life at risk, but for all augmented humans, time is running out...

For more, hit "play" on that clip embedded at top-right. It's a developer-led walkthrough of sorts.

Despite the new protagonist (which is actually commonplace for Deus Ex), The Fall sounds like a legitimate addition to the Deus Ex franchise. Shady organizations, augmented soldiers, futuristic ennui; it's all there.

Obviously the biggest strike against the game is that it's not an Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 or next-generation sequel to Deus Ex: Human Revolution, but honestly I'm willing to forgive that flaw if it can live up to the high standards set by earlier Deus Ex titles. I'm as pessimistic about mobile games as anyone who's played more than three of them, but I want to believe that The Fall could be a good game. I don't think I could take the disappointment of another Invisible War.

Expect Deus Ex: The Fall to debut on Android and iOS devices at some as yet undetermined time later this summer. The Fall is slated to be an episodic title, so this first entry is going to set you back a mere $7, with an also undetermined number of additions following soon after. We'll bring you more details on Deus Ex: The Fall as they emerge.

Shamanic Rhythm

Dec 6, 2009
Earnest Cavalli said:
I'm as pessimistic about mobile games as anyone who's played more than three of them, but I want to believe that The Fall could be a good game.
Just out of interest, are you saying you're pessimistic about a mobile version of Deus Ex, or mobile games in general?

As someone who has played more than three mobile games, I'm far from pessimistic about the format as a whole. I barely game on anything else these days.

Doom972

Dec 25, 2008
That copy of Deus Ex: Invisible War I got on the day of its release doesn't look so bad anymore.
I guess they decided to alienate the fan base as much as possible. First the WiiU exclusive fixed version of the game, and now this.

dragongit

Feb 22, 2011
Edit: bah, alright stop quoting me already. I just watched the video and they stated Ipad. I jumped the gun. Now let me be.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
dragongit said:
I can't wait to play this on my Android! Oh wait it's not coming out for the Droid? I need to by a 200 dollar tablet with a 300 dollar apple logo carved in the back in order to play it? No thank you.
*ahem*
"Expect Deus Ex: The Fall to debut on Android and iOS devices"
Please read the artical in future.
More Deus Ex? Yes please *holds out empty plate*

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
dragongit said:
I can't wait to play this on my Android! Oh wait it's not coming out for the Droid? I need to by a 200 dollar tablet with a 300 dollar apple logo carved in the back in order to play it? No thank you.
It is coming to Android.

Then again I'm not going to buy it, mobile gaming for me is a time waster I do on the toilet or waiting in line.

A deep and engaging game doesn't fit the profile.

Absolutionis

Sep 18, 2008
After hyping this up for months, this is complete bullshit.

Hype gets fans all excited, and releasing a dumbed-down version on mobile platforms is a problem. The YouTube comments, their Facebook, and the Twitter account all announcing this game are getting trashed all over the place. Nothing is positive.

Had they cone the route of the mobile Halo game and announced it as a non-core title outright, it would not have annoyed people as much.

Sean Kay

Jul 4, 2011
Welp, time to deflate the hype balloon for this game. Shame, I was really hoping it'd be a next-gen Deus Ex, or even a smaller downloadable title
Interesting to see that Ben Saxon make a comeback, he was the protagonist in the Deus Ex novel Icarus Effect

Shuu

Apr 23, 2013
Oh... Piss... OFF!
...sigh... I still hope there will be another one soon. But... I wanted it noooooow T_T

1337mokro

Dec 24, 2008
Just... just go away Eidos. Nobody asked for this.

First Thief. Now you turn Deus Ex into a tablet shooter? Because guess what, with a tablet you have menus within menus within menus so say goodbye to actually good stealth. You will be lucky if you can walk from A to B without the character doing something you didn't order them to.

Not to mention that you seem to have fixed very little with the cut-scenes still looking like shit and the takedowns STILL being canned animations (why?). If you want to rip of Syndicate you could have at least made it a tactical game. Evil corporations! Yeah why don't you throw in an evil computer that wants to nuke the world to! Let's make the originality circle complete!

The Square Enix virus has already gotten to your brain hasn't it.

*Get's shotgun"

Guess it's time, Eidos I want to show you something behind the shed.

MeChaNiZ3D

Aug 30, 2011
Well fuck that for a joke. It's all very well that they're trying to make a proper game for mobile devices, but there's only so much you can do without a controller.

I hope the name won't be so appropriate that we don't get to see another real game afterwards.

an annoyed writer

Exalted Lady of The Meep :3
Jun 21, 2012
If they make a version for the PSVita, I'll be excited. But until then, expect a cold reception. There's only so much you can do with no buttons, and a game as complex as Deus Ex will likely fall flat with none. Mass Effect, Dead Space, Mirror's Edge, and various ubisoft/gameloft titles all had a lot of control issues when lacking buttons, and with this I see the same happening.

PoolCleaningRobot

Mar 18, 2012
dragongit said:
Damn it. I had the same reaction when I read your post. I thought it was coming to android so I thought "Oh, we could see this on the Ouya with an actual controller" and "I might be able to play this when I get a new phone". I don't normally have anything against Apple but screw that

PoolCleaningRobot

Mar 18, 2012
RicoADF said:
dragongit said:
*ahem*
"Expect Deus Ex: The Fall to debut on Android and iOS devices"
Please read the artical in future.
More Deus Ex? Yes please *holds out empty plate*
Ed130 said:
dragongit said:
It is coming to Android.

Then again I'm not going to buy it, mobile gaming for me is a time waster I do on the toilet or waiting in line.

A deep and engaging game doesn't fit the profile.
No it won't. Watch the video. In the beginning they say "comming to iphone and ipad" and the at the end it says the same thing. No mention of an Android release

Genocidicles

Sep 13, 2012
I don't much mind there being a Deus Ex game for tablets. It's not like it's going to stop there being a real sequel.

No, what really rustles my jimmies is how they hyped this piece of shit up. You didn't see EA hyping up that Mass Effect iphone game to the fans like it was going to be a proper game.

If you put out a sneaky trailer like that, it better be related to a real game. Not some piece of crap for tablets.

Related: The fan reception of the teaser trailer, and then the announcement trailer where the game is revealed to be for tablets:

I honestly would've preferred that April fools joke game over this.

TheEvilCheese

Cheesey.
Dec 16, 2008
Welp, that's another company shooting themselves right in the foot and completely alienating everyone that made the series what it is. If a deus ex game isn't on PC then you're doing it wrong.

Not even coming out for 'droid? Now that's just insulting. I don't want to buy an iPad, it has half the functionality at twice the price.

KillaBC

Feb 18, 2013
That just killed any anticipation I had, oh well. I'll have to wait for the Cyberpunk game been made by the guys who did the Withcher series.

I have no idea what what Eidos was thinking, who knows it could be a companion to a larger game installment. There may be clues in the game leading to the next large one? Please...