Xbox One Wants You To Input One

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
Xbox One Wants You To Input One

The Xbox One's new slogan gets an E3 banner reveal.

We've got a short while to go before Microsoft gives its E3 presentation - hopefully ending the speculative round of crash-and-burn that followed its last reveal [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/columns/moviebob/10346-Xbox-Done] - but before you go gently into that good Expo, here's a tidbit. Microsoft's slogan for its new console has had a great big banner reveal at E3. Think you'll be able to Input One?

Microsoft's all in one console has had a rough ride of late, what with concerns over question-and-answer [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/124455-Major-Nelson-Claims-Microsoft-Is-Listening-To-DRM-Complaints], allegedly because of schedule conflicts. Or possibly the execs who would have been in on that Q&A had some Ones to Input, who knows.

More from the world of Xbone later on, when the E3 presentation kicks off.

Source: NeoGAF [http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=581055]

UnnDunn

Aug 15, 2006
For those who don't get it, traditionally, "Input 1" on your TV has been reserved for a cable box, with "Input 2" going to a DVD player and "Input 3" going to a games console. It's a metaphor for the relative importance of each device--cable box is most important, followed by DVD player, followed by games console.

Microsoft is trying to suggest that you'll want to put Xbox One on "Input 1", i.e. the Xbox One will become the most important device you connect to your TV.

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011
UnnDunn said:
Microsoft is trying to suggest that you'll want to put Xbox One on "Input 1", i.e. the Xbox One will become the most important device you connect to your TV.
Alternatively, that the Xbox One is a cable box.

Seriously though, I reckon they'll shut down the session as soon as the chants start up, and everyone asks exactly the same question, which they refuse to answer.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
"Hmmm, 'all for one' makes too much sense, we need to make our slogan 20% stupider. I know, lets add 'input one' at the end, that makes no sense what so ever."

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
UnnDunn said:
For those who don't get it, traditionally, "Input 1" on your TV has been reserved for a cable box, with "Input 2" going to a DVD player and "Input 3" going to a games console. It's a metaphor for the relative importance of each device--cable box is most important, followed by DVD player, followed by games console.

Really?

Most TV's I work with have the inputs listed as:

TV (internal tuner)
SD ports
HD Ports
HDMI inputs
PC

edit
I just realised that I deal with modern Sony TV's so your theory could work, but the Xbone doesn't have SD capability so it wouldn't be first on a traditional TV anyway.

UnnDunn

Aug 15, 2006
Ed130 said:
UnnDunn said:

Really?

TV (internal tuner)
SD ports
HD Ports
HDMI inputs
PC
Like I said, it's a metaphor. Back in the day, inputs were typically labeled "AV1", "AV2", "AV3", etc. Today's TVs have more processing power, so they can be more descriptive with their input labels.

Kmadden2004

Feb 13, 2010
UnnDunn said:

Yeah, that's an issue; if your snappy catchline needs to be explained to your target audience, then it's failed as a catchline.

As it stands, that tagline is pretty clunky and worthy of much eye-rolling... I guess in that regard it suits the Xbone pretty well. It might as well read "Xbox One: Argh, we don't know what we're doing."

I can't help but feel Microsoft's PR team are kicking themselves that Sony staked their claim on the "It only does everything" slogan.

Roander

Dec 27, 2009
UnnDunn said:

Thank you for explaining that. I wonder if this is an indication of how clear the information they're going to offer at E3 will be.

I got rid of cable years ago in favor of cheaper, less controlling alternatives, so at least the comparison seems appropriate.

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
UnnDunn said:
Ed130 said:
UnnDunn said:

Really?

TV (internal tuner)
SD ports
HD Ports
HDMI inputs
PC
Like I said, it's a metaphor. Back in the day, inputs were typically labeled "AV1", "AV2", "AV3", etc.
Rather poor metaphor considering that the Xbone wouldn't work with 'old fashioned' SDTV's.

Quellist

Migratory coconut
Oct 7, 2010
I don't blame them for cancelling the Q+A. I can imagine it would have been quite a bloodbath, I'd have been willing to pay just to watch it.

UnnDunn

Aug 15, 2006
Kmadden2004 said:
Yeah, that's an issue; if your snappy catchline needs to be explained to your target audience, then it's failed as a catchline.

As it stands, that tagline is pretty clunky and worthy of much eye-rolling... I guess in that regard it suits the Xbone pretty well. It might as well read "Xbox One: Argh, we don't know what we're doing."

I can't help but feel Microsoft's PR team are kicking themselves that Sony staked their claim on the "It only does everything" slogan.
Remember, these banners were supposed to be revealed after the big keynote address today. I expect Microsoft will use the keynote to provide the context that will make sense of these slogans.

Maerx

Sep 15, 2010
That's a really stupid slogan, how about "Don't buy one" or "Get Xboned". I wonder what is Sony's slogan for the PS4. Maybe something along the lines of "It only does everything the Xbox One doesn't".

luvd1

Jan 25, 2010
Really? I thought their new moto was "Anti-consumer, pro-industry"? Coz it's our bastard fault so many developers and publisher don't get more money.

luvd1

Jan 25, 2010
Maerx said:
That's a really stupid slogan, how about "Don't buy one" or "Get Xboned". I wonder what is Sony's slogan for the PS4. Maybe something along the lines of "It only does everything the Xbox One doesn't".
"We're not Microsoft"? Just a thought.

loa

Jan 28, 2012
It's funny because it doesn't even work on scart inputs.
Did they design every aspect of it to be a giant contradiction or something?

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
Innnpuuut, need more inpuuut! Why does everything these days seem to remind me of Short Circuit? No... No Disassemble games industry!

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
What is it with Microsoft and inviting the dick jokes? First we get the Xbone and now their tag line is 'input one'. It's like they want us to mock them