Ryse: Son of Rome Goes Xbox One Exclusive - UPDATED

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Ryse: Son of Rome Goes Xbox One Exclusive - UPDATED

Crytek's Ryse: Son of Rome has been confirmed as an Xbox One-exclusive launch title.

Ryse turned up on the stage at Microsoft's E3 press event, where the game was confirmed as an Xbox One exclusive. The gameplay was visually impressive and appeared to be very heavy on quicktime events, with plenty of intensely violent, visceral finishing move. It also did a bang-up job of recreating the beachhead scene from Saving Private Ryan.

The game was originally expected to be a Kinect-based title but will actually make use of conventional controls. It is also now fully known as Ryse: Son of Rome. It will be out in November as an Xbox One launch title.

UPDATE: Now with trailer!

Falterfire

Jul 9, 2012
It was nice seeing gameplay and all, but I didn't see anything that looked like more than a series of quicktime events. Even the melee has helpful button labels over the heads of enemies. This isn't a game, this is a movie that just wants the player to press buttons when prompted.

DrunkOnEstus

In the name of Harman...
May 11, 2012
Also of note is that this is a Crytek game, though I don't know if this is the studio that makes Crysis (I doubt it). It...doesn't look interesting to me. Gameplay:

Dango

Feb 11, 2010
It was a really cool looking game until I saw that literally every kill was a quick time event. Nice idea, but from what I've seen of the gameplay it seems a bit dull. I won't be buying it.

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
I kept yelling about historical inaccuracies. Why weren't they in a phalanx from the beginning? Why were they using swords instead of pikes?
The beach storming was clearly meant to be reminiscent of Saving Private Ryan.
I guess this game is "Saving Private Roman".

Chessrook44

Legacy
Feb 11, 2009
Country
United States
Let's see... motivational speech to soldiers who jump off boats onto a beach wherupon most of them get slaughtered by the defenders, having to run up to take a tower?

Is this the Roman Normandy or something?

JayDeth

Dec 18, 2009
So it's Medal of Honor (the very first one) with swords instead of guns and QTEs? Not that QTEs have to be a bad thing, Arkham City/Asylum used QTEs to great effect, but there's a big difference between Batman and some guy with a sword. Looks nice. Boring, but nice.

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
Gameplay looks and feels like VIKING: Rise of Asgard. of which i would remind you was a garbage game!

cahtush

Jul 7, 2010
nnngghn

That's the sound of me not trying to rant about how historically inaccurate it is.

AT LEAST CHOOSE A TIME PERIOD GODDAMIT.

blackdwarf

Jun 7, 2010
visually looks cool, gameplay has way too much quick times events and context sensitive actions.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
The stuff they showed looked pretty bad. Really stiff, it's the sort of thing where you ask why you can't seem to control them moving in phalanx.

BeeGeenie

May 30, 2012
Very pretty, but very dumb. Think I'll hold out for Total War: Rome 2.

In that, I can do a testudo formation while moving, and my retard soldiers won't be swan diving off a ship that was clearly not designed for amphibious assault... because centurions are the marines now... Seriously, broken ankles much? <.<

Apr 28, 2008
This just makes me want Rome 2 Total War more.

And it makes me want to replay Spartan: Total Warrior.

Shamanic Rhythm

Dec 6, 2009
I'm guessing that whoever came up with the title for this game learned how to spell by transcribing Sean Connery movies.

I'm also guessing that whoever came up with the premise of this game learned history by watching 300 and Troy.

MeChaNiZ3D

Aug 30, 2011
I think it looks pretty unspectacular to be honest. Linear, scripted action game, QTEs all up in the combat. Eh.

BlumiereBleck

Dec 11, 2008
Souplex said:
I missed your pretty wit!

It looked interesting, but all the inaccuracies, quick time events, all that. But it is a neat idea, hopefully it will spawn more Roman based games outside of the God Games genre.

BakaSmurf

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2008
Souplex said:
I kept yelling about historical inaccuracies. Why weren't they in a phalanx from the beginning? Why were they using swords instead of pikes?
Because they're Roman legionnaires, not Hellenite (Greek) hoplites. The Romans used the testudo (which was used completely correctly here, by the way), not the phalanx, and making a reasonable guess based on their equipment they're legionnaires (as I already stated), a class of heavy infantry that utilized the gladius (short sword), not pikes, which is a type of weapon the Roman legions simply did not use by the way, the closest thing they had was the hasta spear, which was an entire metre shorter then the Hellenite doru pike and therefore unfit for a true phalanx formation.

It's also fairly obvious that they weren't in a testudo to begin with because of the idiotic way they disembarked from their ship which led to them being scattered and easily individually rushed by the barbarians.

The game does look pretty damn underwhelming though, it just rustles my jimmies when people scream historical inaccuracy then display a lack of knowledge on the subject matter themselves. The Hellenites and Romans were two completely different civilizations that used different military tactics, equipment, and units. Despite what many lazy media outlets would lead one to believe they are not interchangeable.

1337mokro

Dec 24, 2008
God of War Rome? Eh at least it's something new in the hack and slash them up genre.

To bad it's on the Xbone.

Souplex said:
Because they aren't Greeks, but romans :D

You were screaming about historical inaccuracies you say?