Microsoft Xbox One at E3 2013: Impressions Before & After

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Microsoft Xbox One at E3 2013: Impressions Before & After

Greg Tito provides commentary on what it was like to be in the room for Microsoft's press conference, and what it all means.

kajinking

Aug 12, 2009
I was watching when the BF4 sound cut out but I missed the dragoon one, nice to see a lot of time was spent on this presentation LOL.

Yuuki

Mar 19, 2013
Oh dear, I feel really bad for DICE.

In case people haven't seen it yet, here is the BF4 footage from E3...yes, they have sound :p:

PC singleplayer gameplay:

PC multiplayer gameplay - yes, they literally had 64 people at the event playing this:

AstylahAthrys

Apr 7, 2010
After the press conference, I can understand why Microsoft decided to make it very dependent online, beyond the DRM. They actually are trying to push devs to do stuff with the cloud, and I think that Microsoft had to make a tough decision to make it always online and is trying to stick to what their vision for the future is. Doesn't mean I like it, but I see it as more than just senseless DRM now. I'm still hoping that they'll eventually patch out the 24 hour ping and just make online features unavailable to non-connecting users. Hope the used game thing works itself out, too (though I rarely sell games back anyway, and usually buy new).

I clapped when I heard about the two free games a month. Means I can sell my old copies and make some cash back.

I liked that it was all about games. Ryse looks cool, if not over the top on QTEs. MGS5 was awesome, though I'm not big on the series. And, of course, I'm excited to get another Halo (Master Chief wins at my panties). I was impressed with the games. Likely won't use any SmartGlass compatible stuff, but it's a cool feature, I guess.

Overall, the conference was kind of subdued. Any energy was forced and painful to watch, especially the Killer Instinct preview. That was awful.

My verdict? Eh. I'll get one eventually, but certainly not full price and not at launch. In the meantime, I have Steam.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
Meh I'll just get the games on the PS4/PC, and any that are exclusive are acceptable losses. A few pretty games (which I already have hundreds of) don't remove the crap they've saddled the system with, especially the 24hr parole officer check in. I'm not a criminal Microsoft, so piss off.

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
The Bandit said:
Absolutely no mention of Titanfall? What? Why? Did you just leave after Halo?
I'll go into more detail when I write up my EA presser impressions on Titanfall. This mother of an article was already getting long at 2500 words and I just couldn't get my thoughts together on the game.

In short: it looks fucking cool. I dig the fast agile mechs that move like people. But it's more shooter gameplay that I'm honestly tired of hearing about.

Rangarig

Dragon in disguise
Apr 19, 2010
Greg, your impressions, coupled with the Sony announcements, make this ol' Xbox fan excited about owning a 360, and wondering why Microsoft is pushing me towards buying a PS4.

There is very little that makes me excited about the Xbox One, and at ?499 it is too expensive, especially considering all of the media content on the 360 has yet to reach Belgium in any meaningful way - let alone any predictions about availabilities on the Xbox One.

Mar 26, 2008
Rangarig said:
Greg, your impressions, coupled with the Sony announcements, make this ol' Xbox fan excited about owning a 360, and wondering why Microsoft is pushing me towards buying a PS4.

There is very little that makes me excited about the Xbox One, and at ?499 it is too expensive, especially considering all of the media content on the 360 has yet to reach Belgium in any meaningful way - let alone any predictions about availabilities on the Xbox One.
My thoughts exactly! I love my Xbox 360 and was all set to extend my goodwill toward the next Microsoft console but they burned me with every new announcement. Sony seems to be courting the existing 360 users and I think it's working; I'm going to make the switch to the PS4. I like some of the Xbox One exclusives, but I can't justify all the bullshit I'd have to endure just to play them.

Captcha: Topsy Turvy. Yes, it is indeed a topsy turvy world.

Zombie_Moogle

Dec 25, 2008
Greg Tito said:
But the question remains: Why do I need to invest hundreds of dollars into a new machine when I have one that already does it?
Answer: you don't. Not much else to say. XBone is competing for the same marketshare as Roku at 5 times the price

https://hairmythoughts.files.wordpress.com/2012/10/winter-is-coming-jpeg-492x0_q85_crop-smart.jpg
Microsoft, get familiar with this meme

TiberiusEsuriens

Jun 24, 2010
It's a telling sign when a four page coverage of XBone has less than 10 comments, but each PS4 article has over one hundred.

xyrafhoan

Jan 11, 2010
Microsoft embarrassed themselves while Sony and to a lesser extent Nintendo have reaped the rewards. It was an okay presentation considering what Microsoft had to work with trying to wade through all the negative press they already have, but my boyfriend is already willing to split the cost of a PS4 with me. I can't help but wonder if this will be Microsoft's last console.

ImmortalDrifter

Jan 6, 2011
TiberiusEsuriens said:
It's a telling sign when a four page coverage of XBone has less than 10 comments, but each PS4 article has over one hundred.
Realize though, that many of the comments on the playstation pages are irrelevant gloating repeated several times by the same three or four individuals.