The Order: 1886 Fights Monsters With Steampunk

Cognimancer

Imperial Intelligence
Jun 13, 2012
The Order: 1886 Fights Monsters With Steampunk

They had tesla cannons in 19th century London, right?

Sony pulled back the curtain on a solid handful of PS4 exclusives at the company's E3 press conference, with a few notable new IPs. One of the interesting new next-gen titles is The Order: 1886, from Ready at Dawn Studios (the folks behind the PSP God of War games) and Sony Santa Monica. So far we don't know much more than what we can glean from the debut trailer, but it's distinctively steampunk, and that's enough to get my attention.

It's a safe guess that The Order is set in an alternate history version of 1886 Victorian London. Technology seems to be all over the place, as the characters in the video step out of a horse-drawn carriage while speaking into a handheld radio and brandishing some kind of futuristic lightning gun. Airships fly overhead, in case there was any doubt of the setting's steampunkishness.

We don't get a good look at the monsters attacking the carriage, nor do we really have any idea who these people are or what this Order is (though smart money's on the Knights Templar). There are four equally badass fighters, so multiplayer could be in the cards. And if this turns out to be a four-player co-op Van Helsing-style monster hunter... well, I can't say I'd be displeased.

Arawn

Dec 18, 2003
For a second I thought this was another Dishonored like game. Happy to see it's still something very cool. Still unsure if it's going to be a FPS or third person affair. Either way I'd say it's worth watching.

MrWunderful

Filthy Console Peasant
May 27, 2013
Arawn said:
For a second I thought this was another Dishonored like game. Happy to see it's still something very cool. Still unsure if it's going to be a FPS or third person affair. Either way I'd say it's worth watching.
My first thought too.

I feel the immersion would be better if it was an FPS ARPG similar to far cry 3. I really liked the setting of Dishonored, so I will be picking this up but I am really looking forward to hearing more about it.

Eliwood10

Feb 4, 2013
Got my eye on this one. The trailer was cool. I can't wait to see some actual gameplay footage. Sony might have another console seller with this one.

DrunkenElfMage

Aug 17, 2011
I hope this is them battling a werewolf epidemic, but its probably going to be either (A) Undead, (B) Aliens, or (C) Demons.

Or some kind of combination of those three.

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
Gonna keep a look out for more on this game. I love these kind of Van Helsing like settings, the traditional western monsters are always good fun to see. Looks like werewolves in the trailer, judging by the way they move but it's definitely too hard to make out for certain.

AvsJoe

Elite Member
May 28, 2009
Normally I'd say this isn't my thing but damned if this game don't look good! I might pick this one up when I (eventually) get the PS4.

Arawn

Dec 18, 2003
DrunkenElfMage said:
I hope this is them battling a werewolf epidemic, but its probably going to be either (A) Undead, (B) Aliens, or (C) Demons.

It's steampunk, why not (D) all of the above. Throw in some vampires, because it's always vampires, ghost (technically undead, but kinda have their own heading), and finally some golems for good measure and you have an awesome game.

jFr[e]ak93

Apr 9, 2010
Microsoft - TV!

Sony - Steampunk!

Hmmm... this is such a hard choice...

OT - Man, this could be awesome. I love the looks of the setting. Throw in a decent story and Sony just sold me 100%

DrunkenElfMage

Aug 17, 2011
Arawn said:
DrunkenElfMage said:

It's steampunk, why not (D) all of the above. Throw in some vampires, because it's always vampires, ghost (technically undead, but kinda have their own heading), and finally some golems for good measure and you have an awesome game.
I would totally dig that actually. Toss in every traditional halloween costume into this game and I will be there at the midnight release.

Orange12345

Aug 11, 2011
DrunkenElfMage said:

I would LOVE it if they had some old school monsters werewolves, vampires, hell mummies would be really cool just anything but more freaking zombies

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
Hmmm, Whitechapel, but two years before the ripper murders...

I hope those are codenames otherwise they are stupid beyond belief, even if they are code names they are still stupid. Heavily influenced by Mallory as well? I don't know, seems a bit of a mish-mash.
Cpt.Muddles said:
I'd love a steampunk X-Com. That's what this is, right?
That would be good, great even...it won't be that because that is too good an idea. It will be either Steampunk Gears of War or Steampunk Borderlands...eh what do I care I'm not buying a console.

Smiley Face

Jan 17, 2012
An excellent combination of ideas that really should have been made into a game before now. But hey, at least I'm probably going to make the shift to Playstation just in time to enjoy it.

I'm trying to remember if Microsoft had any exclusives that I cared about. Halo, kinda, but I can live without it, especially after 4. Hm...

Yeah, Microsoft looks pretty screwed. And they'll know it too, so I'm waiting with interest to see what kind of nonsense they pull to try and turn the tables.

Jamous

Apr 14, 2009
So this looks awesome. I must say, I do love our old London town as a setting. It makes me happy. Good to see some more new IP on the board, even if no gameplay yet.

kailus13

Soon
Mar 3, 2013
You shouldn't use a lightning gun on something jumping towards you, sure you'll kill it but it's corpse will still crash into you.

I've got to admit, it caught my interest as soon as it said "beneath the brass and steel". Steampunk's sorely underutilised in videogames.

Zenakushinobi

Mar 30, 2008
I really want a ps4 now .......Ive been wanting another serious steampunk for a while and I chowed through bioshock infinite too soon......so YES PLEASE !