Nintendo's Art Academy Toolset Swiped For Mii Prettiness

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
Nintendo's Art Academy Toolset Swiped For Mii Prettiness

The actual game is delayed, but that doesn't mean nothing's going to get done with it.

Satoru Iwata has some good news and some bad news for Art Academy fans. The Wii U version of the game's delayed for a while, but Nintendo's noticed people have been making their Miis pretty - "incredibly high quality drawings," says Iwata, "our users are really invested!" - and figured it might as well do something with the Art Academy assets it isn't going to be using right away.

Nintendo decided to take some of Art Academy's tools and use them in a new drawing tool "and releasing it in advance as a special version just for Miiverse artists." The drawing tool will be available from the eShop this summer. "You will be able to use pencils, color pencils and pastels as you draw directly on the gamepad screen and post your creations to the Miiverse," says Iwata.

How pretty would you like your Mii? 'Cos it looks as though the sky could be the limit.

Dr.Awkward

Mar 27, 2013
So after 22 years, they finally deliver a spiritual successor to Mario Paint!

(Of course that would also mean making a new flyswatter game...)

TIMESWORDSMAN

Wishes he had fewer cap letters.
Mar 7, 2008
I'm actually into this. I love doodling on my U over Miiverse, and adding more tools to work with would be fun!
I probably won't pick up the full Art Academy game, but letting me use more tools to draw frowny faces at people? I'm in.